McDonnell-Douglas KMD-11

Started by PR19_Kit, November 21, 2020, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

In case the engines are not glued yet (under the wings), would it be possible to glue them above the wings like on a VFW-Fokker 614? This would be a very what-if tanker... (with very safe kerosene delivery under the tanker without hot flames there) ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Yes, it would be possible to do that, but then I'd have to file off the little locating pegs for the engines that are already in place underneath the wings........

The single-engined UAV drawing makes me think that a scale-o-rama'd Hasegawa 1/200 DC-10 would make a good root model for that idea.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Thanks for liking the idea. ;)
(no need to build it actually, it was simply a what-if joke)

PR19_Kit

I haven't got ANY 1/200 scale kits though, let alone a DC10......................yet.  ;)

(Actually I have, that Revell Boeing 2707 double kit is 1/200 I think)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Tophe

PR19_Kit

A bit of a decal-fest is about to take place with the KMD-11. I'll be using some of the kit  decals as below...

...and some of the lovely Max Decals IAC sheet. (Yes, I KNOW it's 1/48 but it has lots of different sized stuff on it...)

And then some home printed ones for the tanker role. I'll probably have to print up some more later on, but that'll do for now.

The big green stripes will go along the demarcation line of the two greys BTW.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Hmmm, Max's IAC decals look great, but they just fell apart when I put them on the model. :(

Luckily there's a lot in the sheet so I've given the rest of it a coat of my normal spray varnish and I'll try again tomorrow.

My own decals have gone on OK, thank goodness, as have the ones from the kit.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Ploughing through the decaling of the KMD-11 while self-isolating.

The kit decals are very fragile indeed, and have even broken up AFTER being applied and Kleared! Luckily, as I do with all the kits I build, I'd scanned the kit decal sheet, and so I've had to print some copy parts to see if I can sort the problems.

Being at home, and 120 miles from my main modelling supplies and tools (I took them with me when I went to Northants in March...) I couldn't find any decal paper apart from one scrappy bit of A4 about 6" long! Luckily it was JUST enough to print off the copy bits. Phew.  ;D

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've done one side of the KMD-11, and it's as good as it's going to get. :(

The kit decals, as well as being fragile, don't adhere worth a light, and they're going to need some careful varnishing, and a lot of it too.

So here's IAC 270, the only KMD-11 on their fleet and by far the largest aircraft in the Force.

Please ignore the lumps of Corrogard missing from the starboard wing, those are just some of the bits that didn't stick, and my printed copies are the wrong colour so they'll have to wait till I'm back in Northants next year  ;D when I can coincide with my bulk supply of decal paper.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

That's looking really good Kit  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Tophe

Yes, very good!
And very what-if this way, as single-engined! ;D ;)

PR19_Kit

Yes, it IS single engined at the moment, but I'll probably paint the details on the other two this week.

If I can get the paint warm enough to flow anyway................

Regards
Kit

63cpe

Looking good. Irish aircraft are always interesting..

David als 63cpe