McDonnell-Douglas KMD-11

Started by PR19_Kit, November 21, 2020, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Right, it's time I got on with the KMD-11, and as I'm likely to be over in Northants for a while (Pete with the tiny lathe fell off a ladder and broke his knee, so I'm back on 'caring duties' for. him and Hazel......:() I'll be taking the KMD-11 and a few other projects with me.

I've got to re-print the Corrogard decals and that'll mean re-spraying the wings too, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem....

[Famous Last Words.....]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

After nearly a year and a half of doing nothing on this build, I've returned to it, and not before time either!  :o

I've printed my own copy of the useless kit Corrogard panels, and they look pretty good, but they're HUGE and will probably need to be cut into sections to apply them properly. This pic is maybe 2/3 size of the actual decal, they take up a large proportion of an A4 sheet.

I masked up the model so I could spray a coat of primer over the rubbish starboard wing decal, and then gave it a coat of Ford Polar Grey, the airliner modeller's 'go to' paint for jetliner wings.

With luck I may get some of the decals on later today.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kerick

That two tone grey looks good.  :thumbsup:
The green stripe will be interesting.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

LOTS of decaling this evening, the green stripe is on all along the port side, as are all the other IAC markings, and I've applied the big cargo door and forward crew door. A bit of a fiddly job needs to be done to get the stripe to fit over the wing yet.

But the best bit is that my home printed Corrogard decal fits a treat and it all went on in one piece too, amazing.  ;D

I'll let them dry overnight and spray some clear varnish on before adding the rest.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

And now with decals on BOTH sides, woweee.  ;D

Plus the starboard wing Corrogard, which worked very well. The port side's going on later today, when the Klear has dried.

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

looking very nice Kit,  the wing decals, both the corrogard, and the roundal realy pop, and the body catchs the eye as well.   :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

I do like the IAC 'roundels', except they're called a 'Celtic boss' apparently.

The Maxx IAC decals I'm using on this build (which are 1/48 scale actually  ;D) are superb, but they're difficult to find as they're only made in short runs. But well worth it when you can find them.

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Rheged

I like it very much indeed!!

My commiserations and words of support to your mate Pete (of the damaged knee) and his good lady!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

I've got (almost...) all the decals on now, and it's looking like it should do with proper Corrogard panels etc. The 'almost' is because there are four TINY red warning decals that are meant to go on the positively minute lower winglets on the wing tips. I'm not sure if I can see that well to get them in place, but I'll have a go.

Upper view showing the Corrogard, windows, doors, stripes, IAC insignia and scripts etc.

The underside with all FOUR refuelling positions, and the large underwing codes that the IAC carry.

I'm working on the landing gear now, and this is one of those cursed airliner designs that would have you install the nosewheel leg as almost the very first item in the build!  :banghead:

That's utterly stupid as you're bound to snap the darn thing off 3-4 times before you've done the rest of it. I'm having to re-engineer the assembly to glue it in place after I've done all the major assembly and painting etc. The main wheels have pegs to fit into holes in the main gear legs, but they don't go all the way in, so I'd be relying on the strength of the 1 mm dia pegs to hold up the model!

No thanks, I've drilled right through the leg so the wheel hub can be glued to the main gear bogie, giving much more gluing area.

Do these people ever actually BUILD any of their kits?  :-\

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Wardukw

I dont build civilian air liners even ones in military service ..say that i do have a 1/144 Concorde  :lol: ..which wont be a Concorde for long but Kit my friend this is so clean mate..its a suburb paint job and your wing decals really look good  :thumbsup: and im glad i wont have to worry about skinny landing which the Concorde has ..im replacing it with something ..no idea what thou  ;D
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

kerick

That really looks great! I hope the landing gear and other bits behave and go on like they are supposed to.   :thumbsup:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Flyer

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on May 30, 2022, 09:00:24 PM
im glad i wont have to worry about skinny landing which the Concorde has ..im replacing it with something ..no idea what thou  ;D

BIG draggy floats with loads of struts! ;D
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.