McDonnell-Douglas KMD-11

Started by PR19_Kit, November 21, 2020, 05:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

So much for teeny-weeny decals............

The red outlines for the under-winglets broke up as I was trying to apply them, so that idea's out the window. I thought the wing tips needed a little something, and Maxx's lovely IAC decal set cam to the rescue.

Now there's no way you'll miss knowing it's Irish.  ;D

Meanwhile, back to the landing gear (sigh....)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

the flag on winglets is a cute detail ;D
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Most airliners have 10 wheels, four on each main bogie and two for the nosewheel. This one has TWELVE!

It's got an extra leg plumb in the middle of the fuselage, so that's two MORE wheels that need painting......  :banghead:

I'm not sure if I hate painting landing gear or PSR the more when doing a build. (sigh...)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Quote from: Flyer on May 31, 2022, 02:16:35 AM
Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on May 30, 2022, 09:00:24 PM
im glad i wont have to worry about skinny landing which the Concorde has ..im replacing it with something ..no idea what thou  ;D

BIG draggy floats with loads of struts! ;D
:lol: :lol: :lol: ..now thats a idea matey  ;D and man that would be different for damn sure  :thumbsup:
To landing gear issues Kit ya could go and replace the back wheels with 4 big ones  :o :wacko:
I looked at the Concordes gear this morning and in 1/144 scale my first thought was ..nope ..im gonna have to attack it with a 73nd F15 i think .
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on May 31, 2022, 09:39:57 PM

To landing gear issues Kit ya could go and replace the back wheels with 4 big ones  :o :wacko:

They tried that with the B-36 and the DH Comet, and it was a disaster in both cases. :(

I'm most of the way through the painting by now, thank goodness.

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Well it looks like you followed the old line Kit..nothing to but to do it  ;D
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

PR19_Kit

Grrrrrrr.........  :banghead:

After waiting 2-3 days for Jubilee Fever to dissipate I finally got some satin varnish and sprayed the entire KMD-11 airframe, and it looked pretty darn good.

Then a bloody minded onion fired itself off across the kitchen and smote the model a mighty blow, knocking it onto the floor and breaking off THREE of the winglets!!! :(

I can't find any of the tiny, underside ones, so they'll need to the scratched up again. If there's one thing I HATE about a build it's having to repair the model before it's even finished!

To make matters worse, I'd painted one side of the umpteen wheels while they were embedded in a couple of Blu-Tak pads as with no holes in the back I couldn't stick the wheels on toothpicks as I do with normal gear sets. One side worked fine, the pad on the other side went all gooey and bubbled up the paint! Never had that happen before so that Blu-Tak pads gone in the bin and I've had to strip the paint off one set of wheels.

Oh well, if it was simple everyone would be doing it, eh?

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Poor Kit... :-\
If you finish this model someday you will deserve double congratulations, as fate seems against its completion... :unsure:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

It's the same with many of my builds Tophe, I don't think me and gravity get on very well......

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 04, 2022, 02:01:50 AM

"Then a bloody minded onion fired itself off across the kitchen and smote the model a mighty blow........."

Not one of the perils normally associated with modelling (cats...yes, carpets...yes, ONIONS ....?!?) care to explain how modellers now need to be wary of vegetables ?!?  :o :o :o
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Wardukw

Quote from: Knightflyer on June 04, 2022, 02:26:59 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 04, 2022, 02:01:50 AM

"Then a bloody minded onion fired itself off across the kitchen and smote the model a mighty blow........."

Not one of the perils normally associated with modelling (cats...yes, carpets...yes, ONIONS ....?!?) care to explain how modellers now need to be wary of vegetables ?!?  :o :o :o
Carrots mate can be bloody deadly..they can fly with a huge amount of speed ..i scared nine colours of crap out of my cat cutting carrots once..the piece of carrot flew like a bullet..still funny as hell  :lol:
Kit have ya tryed double sided tape when painting annoying things like wheels?
I do it alot and it works great..has enough strength to hold the parts in place and easy to remove when the paints dry ...then turn em over and paint the other side..ya dont have to push the wheels down hard for them to stick strong enough to paint them and it wont go gooey either  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 04, 2022, 02:11:02 AM
I don't think me and gravity get on very well......

Always trying to pull you down is it Kit?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Knightflyer on June 04, 2022, 02:26:59 AM

Very true, but the model was in the kitchen as my host and hostess, who I'm looking after for a while, don't like the smell of the evaporating varnish, and the kitchen is some distance from the lounge, where they were.

Then I was preparing the risotto last night, and had chopped one onion into 'finely chopped' bits (apparently they're ALWAYS 'finely chopped', I've yet to see a recipe that says 'chop it into lumps'....) and when I started chopping the second one, I'd cut one slice off the end and the remainder shot off out of my hand in the opposite direction, a bit like a recoil-less round's balance weight, and smote the KMD-11 a fatal blow. :(

I've used double sided before, yes, and have a 3 mm thick roll of it at home, but I'm 120 miles away from it at the mo, so I had to make do with Blu-Tak.

Yes, Alastair, gravity IS always pulling me down, I just wish it wouldn't try so hard sometimes.

Regards
Kit

zenrat

My Irish stew recipe (OK so it's really Keith Floyd's but its the one I always use) says "quartered onions".

Sorry for your incident Kit.  I hope from the heart of my bottom that you can save it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Rheged

I have a beef casserole  recipe from a former colleague that begins " Hack a couple of onions into  reasonable chunks....."

Much sympathy from family Rheged regarding your  defence of humanity against the attack of the killer onions, and with your ongoing struggles with gravity.    We hope the risotto tasted good.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet