Skybirds86

Started by PR19_Kit, November 26, 2020, 09:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

It's the windscreen, kit.

The AZ item correctly has a flat base, akin to the Vampire F3/F5/F9.  The Skybirds 86 windscreen rakes upwards.

This error appears in most plans/side profiles, and is a feature of most dH Hornet kits regardless of scale.  Check out pics of Hornets and built Skybirds 86 kits and you'll see what I mean.

Hope helpful.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

sideshowbob9

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 28, 2020, 11:00:45 AM
Quote from: sideshowbob9 on November 27, 2020, 02:23:05 AM
EA-6B Prowler equivalent with tandem canopy and a big fairing on the tail plus myriad lumps and bumps?

Nah, it's British, the two seats would have to abreast, like the Hunter trainer.  ;)

Sigh. I haven't seen a Hunter in the air since the heady days of 2015. Spent more than one happy occasion in 2014 under the flightpath of Hunters. I even swam out to be under Miss Demeanour  :wub: at Bournemouth once and I mean right under. Simply one of the best moments of my life. Fully cognisant of the risks and consequences btw lest any of the bloody witch-hunters want to chirp up!  :banghead:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on November 29, 2020, 02:19:24 AM

I even swam out to be under Miss Demeanour  :wub: at Bournemouth once and I mean right under. Simply one of the best moments of my life. Fully cognisant of the risks and consequences btw lest any of the bloody witch-hunters want to chirp up!  :banghead:

My office, when I was actually in it, was only about 3 miles east of Kemble where Miss Demeanour was based. One of my routes home ran along the north side of the airfield and on one occasion I heard a Hunter takeoff as I was approaching, but I couldn't see which one it was because of the trees.

I had the sunroof of my car (A Subaru Legacy Estate at that time) open and soon I heard the Hunter coming up behind me, and when I glanced up, there was Miss Demeanour right above me!

INVERTED!  :o :o :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on November 28, 2020, 04:24:35 PM

It's the windscreen, kit.

The AZ item correctly has a flat base, akin to the Vampire F3/F5/F9.  The Skybirds 86 windscreen rakes upwards.

This error appears in most plans/side profiles, and is a feature of most dH Hornet kits regardless of scale.  Check out pics of Hornets and built Skybirds 86 kits and you'll see what I mean.

Hope helpful.

Heavens, that must be at most a whole millimetre's worth of an error, how could any serious modeller live with such terrible workmanship on the part of the manufacturer!  :o

[Gross sarcasm mode off]

I just checked both canopies again, and that problem's only JUST visible I'd have thought that a modeller who'd even think about building a complex kit like the Skybirds one would sort that in a matter of moments. Either by cutting a slight curve in the bottom of the windscreen or cover the straight bit with paint.

Thanks for pointing it out Dave, but I don't think I'll lose much sleep over it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sideshowbob9

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 29, 2020, 03:59:08 AM
My office, when I was actually in it, was only about 3 miles east of Kemble where Miss Demeanour was based. One of my routes home ran along the north side of the airfield and on one occasion I heard a Hunter takeoff as I was approaching, but I couldn't see which one it was because of the trees.

I had the sunroof of my car (A Subaru Legacy Estate at that time) open and soon I heard the Hunter coming up behind me, and when I glanced up, there was Miss Demeanour right above me!

INVERTED!  :o :o :o

I'm not jealous, much! Mr Whaley was a proper showman & his mount was truly something else!  :thumbsup: