Bristol Freighter C.2

Started by Pellson, December 03, 2020, 05:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Finally catching up with backstory writing on some older achievements. Bear with me for enjoying a tidy-up.. ;)

The Bristol Freighter C.2

After the Second World War, the crumbling British Empire experienced a multitude of larger and smaller conflicts, demanding attention from the homeland. Many of these badly needed local airlift capacity, both for military purposes and for hearts-and-minds operations. During 1948 and 1949, The Berlin airlift took a heavy toll on existing airframe life, so In the early 50:s, the availability of the RAF Transport Command resources had deteriorated below an acceptable level.
To an extent, emergency procurement of surplus Dakotas could help the situation somewhat, but in particular in areas of more difficult terrain, such as Kenya and the Southern Arabian Peninsula and as time went by, more dedicated heavy lift and/or outsized cargo assets became more and more appreciated to maintain the logistic situation.

In response to this, RAF procured its first 20 Beverley C.1:s in 1952, but even as the ink dried on the contract documents, it was realised that neither numbers procured nor available production capacity if orders were to be extended would make ends meet. In the end, the Beverley order would be more than doubled, but as RAF needed something simpler, cheaper and above all sooner, it looked elsewhere for additional solutions.

During the war, Bristol had developed the Type 170 Freighter, a very rugged and simple machine capable of lifting over 16 000 lb to and from just about any reasonably even half mile road in the world. While that didn't match the Beverley neither in cargo weight nor STOL capacity, the aircraft was also about two thirds in size and not even half the cost. Also, RAF had already bought a few Mk 30 and 31:s as the C.1, thus being somewhat acquainted to the type already.
In late 1952, Bristol was approached in the matter and a contract for 69 machines signed. These however came to be specified with a slightly bigger cargo space, incorporating a longer, sloping nose and a larger fin than the C.1.

Production and introduction in service commenced fairly quickly and no 113 Sqn took up the type as the Freighter C.2 already in May 1952, immediately deploying to Eastleigh, Kenya. Later in the year, nos 231 and 232 sqns reformed on the type, also deploying overseas. As unrest accelerated in Oman and the Arabian Peninsula, the Freighters were soon working there as well, and it is perhaps for its service in this theatre of operations it is best remembered, tirelessly providing supplies, spares and even smaller vehicles to various outposts and villages throughout the barren region.
The Freighters remained at Khormakshar even as the UK finally withdrew to Aden itself in 1967, creating an Arabian Gibraltar. Dependent on at least reasonably good relations to the neighbouring communities, the British Aden Crown Colony to a certain extent kept food and medical supplies flowing in the region using the Freighters all the way up until 1976 when the last flight of no 113 Sqn disbanded, giving place to the Hercules C.1.

My model depicts a Freighter from C Flight, no 113 Sqn RAF operating out of RAF Khormakshar in 1974. The kit is the venerable Airfix Super Freighter offering built basically straight out of the box. Camouflage is estimated from the Aden based Beverleys, however slightly modernised along Andover lines (i.e. Type B roundels and some texts). I built it about two years ago and had rather good fun doing it. The kit leaves a lot to be desired for the nitpicker, but I tend to be quite forgiving on such matters as long as it turns out about as I have envisioned it. This did, with some margin. I think it looks the part. :wub:

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

It certainly DOES look the part!

Nice one Pellson.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Remarkably believable backstory, with a good model to accompany it.   I'm impressed.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on December 03, 2020, 06:07:41 AM

Remarkably believable backstory, with a good model to accompany it.   I'm impressed.

You mean it's a STORY?  :o

Oh...............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Glenn Gilbertson

Good one = it looks absolutely right! :thumbsup:

Pellson

Thanks, all of you. It is indeed encouraging and quite rewarding getting feedback like this. I'm honoured and happy.  :wub:

More will come!
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

McColm

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

The Rat

SUHWEEEEET! I can remember being on the beach at Southend or Shoeburyness and watching them and the Carvairs going back and forth from Southend airport to France. Got one in the stash, still figuring out how to whiff it.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

chrisonord

If I had another one of these kits I would build and paint mine very much like yours, in middle eastern camouflage. The one I have built is turbo propped and in Honduras navy service. Looks like I am going trolling ebay again :wacko:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Devilfish

Love it! Often thought of doing an RAF Freighter