1/72nd scale TF-102 kit

Started by chrisonord, December 07, 2020, 08:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 08, 2020, 11:03:10 AM
And some look BETTER than their single seat counterparts, the Jaguar, Su-27 and the F-106 as examples.

To my mind anyway.
Absolutely, I like the 2 seat F-105 too, and meteor.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

Quote from: chrisonord on December 08, 2020, 12:20:49 PM
And some look BETTER than their single seat counterparts, the Jaguar, Su-27 and the F-106 as examples.

To my mind anyway.
I like the 2-seat Harriers over the single seaters
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 08, 2020, 03:28:01 PM

I forgot them, yes.  :banghead:

It's that BIG fin and the long tail on the early ones, and the MONSTER canopy on the T10.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Got to agree with you  on the Harrier  too,  and the tandem  hunter  looks better than the  side by side  real one too.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

rickshaw

I was wrong.  Yes, they Falcon only do the F-106B not the F-102B :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Captain Canada

One of the coolest looking two-holers out there. Always wanted to build one myself. Glad I checked in here ! Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Freightdog862

There is an interesting story about the Xtrakit set, it was moulded by Pegasus originally for M&E Models (Kevin Nunn), but for some reason he pulled out of the arrangement and instead the plastic parts were picked up by Hannants, who got Western Models to make the metal parts and Rare-Planes to do the vacform interior and canopy. Hannants still have a load of stock left that was 'rediscovered' a couple of years back in their warehouse.

Colin

PR19_Kit

That 'rediscovered' lot was where my extra two kits came from.

They're identical in all respects to the original one I have, which I found just after buying the other  two of course...  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Freightdog862

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 10, 2020, 03:54:13 AM
That 'rediscovered' lot was where my extra two kits came from.

They're identical in all respects to the original one I have, which I found just after buying the other  two of course...  :banghead:

Yes, you might think that rediscovering stock is just an excuse for flogging old kits, but a couple of times I've had trade orders from Hannants for items that they have in stock but have lost in their warehouse, perhaps they really do have an underground facility like in the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark for deep storage of vintage kits? I've actually rediscovered stock in my shed (found a box of a hundred bagged up Blue Max Avro 504K kits that I thought were long sold out last year, I was very happy about that), not quite as impressive a site as Lowestoft though.   

PR19_Kit

I've been in Hannant's 'Warehouse' a number of times and I'm not surprised they can lose things in there, it's VAST!

At one time the late Dave Hannant had a areal, 1:1 scale, Harrier parked in there, and there was BAGS of space left around it!

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 08, 2020, 03:28:01 PM
Quote from: chrisonord on December 08, 2020, 12:20:49 PM

To my mind anyway.

Agree on Jaguar, Su-27, Harrier, F-106- all much better looking as two seaters. Slight edge to the two seat EE lightning and Viggen.  Wash on the F-16, Mirage 2000.     

The 2 seat A-4 Skyhawk, Cougar, Rafale, Grippen, MiG-15, Mig-23/27/25/29, F-15, and a few others do not look good as their single seat version.   No A-7 has ever been considered good looking whether one or two seats.

Mitsubishi F-1 looks odd with the metaled over rear cockpit, and the single seat Hawk and Gnat are plain awful.   

I have a soft spot for the TF-102 "tub"  since first stumbling across a semi derelict example at Fox Field, Lancaster, California.  Ugly, but in a neat way.     
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiego89 on December 10, 2020, 07:20:52 PM

No A-7 has ever been considered good looking whether one or two seats.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes, just TOO short and fat.

On the other hand it's long, slim stablemate, the singular TF-8 Crusader, looked pretty good as a 2-seater.

Another one for the list, the Mirage F1B looks better than its single seat sister to my mind. That's why I chose the B for my GB entry a few months ago.

Regards
Kit

Nigel Bunker

I have used the Xtrakit TF-102 conversion [injection moulded forward fuselage section (by Pegasus), vacformed cockpit interior (by RAREplanes), metal ejector seats and intakes (by Western Models), Decals by Microscale]. It took some fettling but made a nice job at the end of the day.
Life's too short to apply all the stencils

sandiego89

Quote from: Nigel Bunker on December 14, 2020, 12:37:52 AM
I have used the Xtrakit TF-102 conversion [injection moulded forward fuselage section (by Pegasus), vacformed cockpit interior (by RAREplanes), metal ejector seats and intakes (by Western Models), Decals by Microscale]. It took some fettling but made a nice job at the end of the day.

So "only" 4 after market products, in 4 different mediums to make it?!  Ha, bet that was some work. I would have glued my fingers together for sure with that kind of detail.   ;D
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

How about the "one of a kind" two seat A-10?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise