Douglas/Shorts Skyray F.1

Started by Devilfish, December 07, 2020, 10:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

The Royal Navy started looking towards the supersonic age in the 50's, and were after an interceptor that could operate from any of its carriers.  Douglas offered their upcoming Skyray.  A deal was struck where Shorts would assemble the aircraft from kits, but fit British electronics, including the AI.23 Airpass radar and Firestreak missiles.  The Skyray entered service in 1960, and served until 1970

Skyray F.1, 899 Sqn HMS Hermes, c.1964

20201207_164842 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

20201207_164851 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

20201207_164859 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

20201207_164908 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

20201207_164919 by Paul Carter, on Flickr

AeroplaneDriver

Oh man...I've been eyeing the Skyray in my stash with an almost identical idea.  Having seen yours I both want to jump into it with both feet, and also put it in the back burner because it won't end up near as good as yours.  Absolutely stunning job.  :thumbsup:

:wub: :wub: :wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Cobra

this is a Superb Build :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Tell me the Skyray Doesn't Look Natural in RN Colors! Keep up the Superb Work :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

Pellson

What a build!  :wub:

I am so, so far from this. And probably much to lazy too.  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

sideshowbob9

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

That looks SO right, and with the Firestreaks and Airpass radar it would have made so much sense too.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Maybe Spey engines as well, or was that the F2?  ;D

I LOVE the IFR probe mounted on the drop tank too, so very much 'of the period'.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

That is a fantastic job! Love the Ford! Love what you did with it! :bow: :bow: :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Devilfish

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 08, 2020, 03:14:50 AM
That looks SO right, and with the Firestreaks and Airpass radar it would have made so much sense too.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Maybe Spey engines as well, or was that the F2?  ;D

I LOVE the IFR probe mounted on the drop tank too, so very much 'of the period'.  :thumbsup:

I thought about an engine change. I don't know if the Spey was around in 1960?  I had thought about the Avon, but the difference in power was negligible. Like you say, maybe the F.2, with Red Tops?

The IFR probe is actually standard....Strange idea, but it works.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Devilfish on December 08, 2020, 04:30:08 AM

I thought about an engine change. I don't know if the Spey was around in 1960?  I had thought about the Avon, but the difference in power was negligible. Like you say, maybe the F.2, with Red Tops?

Good point.

The Spey first ran in 1964 after being specced for the Buccaneer in '61, so it'd be a bit marginal for your F1.

But for a Red Top armed F2 it'd be right on the button.

The various F-84s used in IFR trials used a similar 'probe on tank' arrangement too, but I can't recall any Brit aircraft that did.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Devilfish

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 08, 2020, 04:43:54 AM
Quote from: Devilfish on December 08, 2020, 04:30:08 AM

Good point.

The Spey first ran in 1964 after being specced for the Buccaneer in '61, so it'd be a bit marginal for your F1.

But for a Red Top armed F2 it'd be right on the button.

The various F-84s used in IFR trials used a similar 'probe on tank' arrangement too, but I can't recall any Brit aircraft that did.

Going to have to get another one now.... :banghead:

NARSES2

That's fantastic  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Both the Skyray and Skyhawk really suit this classic FAA scheme  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Devilfish on December 08, 2020, 07:24:39 AM

Going to have to get another one now.... :banghead:

;D ;D ;D

What was the original kit anyway?

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Beautiful.  :wub:  :thumbsup:  I've seen one in the Royal Navy scheme before, and it just looks so right. The lines of the Skyray are instantly recognisable, and very pleasing to the eye, and would look good in any scheme. Yours is not only beautiful, but very well done!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr