Squadron modelling putty.

Started by chrisonord, December 09, 2020, 01:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Has anyone in the U.K noticed this stuff is thin on the ground at the moment? I  found  one tube on Ebay and they want  £9 for it. Erm, no. I used to buy mine  from transport models in Preston  but they have gone.  Does anyone recommend an alternative to this stuff as I need to stock up for my Kittleton  build.  I have tried the perfect plastic putty stuff, and I am not  impressed by it.
Cheers
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Doug K

I haven't found it in ages, I'm almost finished my stock

chrisonord

Quote from: Doug K on December 09, 2020, 02:17:17 PM
I am wondering if it  is no longer  imported  here as whilst searching I  noticed  squadron modelling tools  were thin on the ground  too. I have one tube of white  left, and unopened.  Maybe I  should  keep it that way and add it to my pension  funding  ;D ;D
Chris

PR19_Kit

I've used Presto putty from Germany, the same stuff that Dizzy uses. It's very similar to Squadron, but it doesn't smell quite so pungently, which is good from my point of view. It does shrink some, but a second batch usually sorts that. It's the tube stuff you need, white with red and blue bits, not the tins.

AFAIK there is no UK distributor (and with oncoming Brexit, unlikely to be I'd say...)

Search on eBay for it, it's usually available from Germany direct, but sometimes you can get it from UK suppliers. And don't get the first one that comes up, the price varies a LOT.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

I tried to find Presto in Germany without success. Found Sikkens Kombifiller, in my opinion works very well, must be more or less the same.
I'd say that any  good quality putty for body work will do. Obviously the single-component variety, in tubes.
I used nitro putty already 40 years ago for plastic models.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

chrisonord

Cheers  for the information, I  will look into all of those.  I have  used the revell  stuff before now too, with  varying results so I have always gone back to the squadron  stuff.
Chris

chrisonord

I found  one place  that does the presto stuff over here but at over £18 for a 100 g tube, no thanks.  I can't find the  sikkens stuff over here either.  I am considering trying the  humbrol stuff  or if I  can find it  the tamiya stuff.  I have some  Vallejo  stuff too, but I don't like it  as it falls out.
Chris

loupgarou

Quote from: chrisonord on December 09, 2020, 03:58:02 PM
I found  one place  that does the presto stuff over here but at over £18 for a 100 g tube, no thanks.  I can't find the  sikkens stuff over here either.  I am considering trying the  humbrol stuff  or if I  can find it  the tamiya stuff.  I have some  Vallejo  stuff too, but I don't like it  as it falls out.
Chris

I haven't used Humbrol putty in AGES, but from what I remember it wasn't strong enough to attack plastic and stick well. Any nitro-based putty for car body work will do a better job. And in a DIY store you pay a lot less than in a model shop. Of course brands differ from one country to another, it's just important that the putty be fine grained for our use.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

PR19_Kit

£18 for a tube of Presto?  :o

Daylight robbery! I got my six tubes about 18 months ago for about a 1/4 of that price!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Exactly Kit, they must have seen that I wanted it for  models and  sent the price  skywards.  My quest  shall  continue, and  keep looking for off the shelf  stuff here.

chrisonord

My local car parts shop is getting a couple of tubes of  nitro putt for me for tomorrow, at 4 quid a tube which seems good. I will  try some out on my Kittleton, and report back.
Chris

Doug K

Quote from: chrisonord on December 09, 2020, 02:23:51 PM
Quote from: Doug K on December 09, 2020, 02:17:17 PM
I am wondering if it  is no longer  imported  here as whilst searching I  noticed  squadron modelling tools  were thin on the ground  too. I have one tube of white  left, and unopened.  Maybe I  should  keep it that way and add it to my pension  funding  ;D ;D
Chris

Could be, I'm looking at Amazon right now and am wondering at alternatives. Mr Hobby for example, I did get the fine Valejo but it's obviously not base on a solvent and it sometime comes away when sanding.

chrisonord

I have just today  bought  some holts cataloy knifing putty to try. Hopefully this stuff  does the trick and isn't too aggressive with the plastic. I am going to  test some.on a bit on a piece of  scrap model part, and see how it goes
Chris

Mossie

I used to use Humbrol model filler and got on fine with it, preferred it over Squadron.  I moved on to Mr Surfacer 500 and it's my preferred filler.  I tried Vallejo but only used it for specific tasks or where I needed a quick result.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

chrisonord

Quote from: Mossie on December 11, 2020, 12:02:44 PM
I used to use Humbrol model filler and got on fine with it, preferred it over Squadron.  I moved on to Mr Surfacer 500 and it's my preferred filler.  I tried Vallejo but only used it for specific tasks or where I needed a quick result.
I have used the humbrol stuff in the past  as  it was cheap enough  to use lots of it built up in layers, but  you have to  be careful with  it as it likes to melt stuff, or did last time I used it. I have  put some of the holts stuff on, its  not the best at spreading  considering it is a  car body  filler, but I  will  see what it sands like when properly cured.
Chris