Squadron modelling putty.

Started by chrisonord, December 09, 2020, 01:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Many, many years ago, towards the end of the last millennium (in the early 1960's) when still a young modeller, I used Polyfilla , which worked for me then, although it probably wouldn't do now.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Yes indeed, Fine Finish Polyfilla, in the big blue and white tub, was THE putty of choice in the 70s for doing the final touch to a model where you'd used Squadron Green Stuff for the heavy duty, structural work.

Until the 90s I still had a tub of it, my FIRST tub as they were so huge you never ran out of it.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

I have often wondered about pollyfilla, as it is quite similar in texture to that perfect putty stuff. I can't see it being no good if it has been used to good effect when using it for models before. I am going to leave the holts stuff over night as it says leave for 30 minutes, some of it still feels a tad rubbery, it looks like it could be carveable too so i shall poke it with a chisel blade tomorrow also.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

I'm vainly trying to mentally compare the Fine Finish Polyfilla with the de luxe Prefect Plastic Putty, and while I think they're very similar, it's difficult without examples of both to hand. I haven't seen the Polyfilla stuff for ages though.

Just from memory I'd say the PPP was drier when you put on, and went sort off chalkier, if that makes sense.

I'd prefer the Polyfilla myself, and now I just KNOW I'll be looking for some in my local DIY shop when I go home on Sunday!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Further to my initial comment about Polyfilla, I dug a tub of B&Q fine surface filler out of the garage and have tried it on a test piece.  Watch this space...................further report tomorrow!!

chrisonord

I think it would be a good resource to find out what other putty/filler is useable as an alternative to modelling varieties. We as wiffers tend to use a lot of the stuff, and it can be quite an expensive exercise  if you are not careful. I am curious to hear your findings with the B&Q stuff Rheged.The Holts stuff has a bit of an odour  to it but not too bad.
Chris

zenrat

Someone (Jon?) stated elsewhere that PPP was repackaged artists acrylic filler.

I've tried fine filler from the DIY store (what poms would call Polyfilla, except it isn't here - builders bog is one of the terms used) and while it sanded like PPP it didn't stick to the plastic as well.
Mind you, PPP doesn't always stick to the plastic that well which is why I tend to put down a thin coat of primer first for it to adhere to.

For heavy duty structural work I use Tamiya Polyester Putty.  AKA Stinky Yellow or Yellow Smellow.  A two part filler with a strong smell reminiscent of fibre glass resin.  I used to use automotive knifing putty but it melts styrene and shrinks badly if put on too thick.  I have also had some ghosting appear years after I had put models on the shelf because it continued the shrink under the paint.  Stinky Yellow doesn't do this because it cures by chemical reaction rather than by evaporation of solvent.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

chrisonord

I have just  given the  holts  putty  a sanding, it a bit harder than the  squadron stuff  and needs a  bit more  effort, but it is usable.  It is acrylic based  too, so hopefully it won't  shrink.  This stuff was  4 quid  for 100 grams, which is not bad, although I have seen it for £3.35 at euro car parts.
Chris

Rheged

Right then;  last night I took a damaged  Spitfire wing from the scrap/grot/spares box and filled in one wheel well with cheap "B & Q fine internal filler paste" without any other preparation.  The other wheel well was painted with diluted PVA adhesive then filled.  Late this morning I sanded them down with an  ultra-fine paper.    Both have sanded well, and neither have fallen out,  even when I tapped the wing sharply on the workbench kitchen table.   A few moments ago, I primed the wing;  the filler seems to have taken the primer coat well.  I'll try a hairy stick application of some Humbrol  brown (out of a very old but unopened tinlet, number 113 stamped on the lid) this evening.   

We bought the filler when we moved here in 2014, it's a 1 kilo tub that I think cost £3  approx.  so it's not a talk to your bank manager expense, and you can probably get positive feedback from your dearly beloved by using some of it to patch around where the electrician made a mess of putting in the extra sockets in the kitchen.     Come to think of it, if this stuff does work as well as we hope  she who must be obeyed will raise no objections to your always having some to hand.

chrisonord

Brilliant news, one more to add to the list then, if it takes the primer it should be ok with paint. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I am going to give the stuff I have been experimenting with another sand down later and daub it with some paint and see how it fares too.
Chris

Rheged

The Polyfilla (and kindred filler) experiment goes on.   Humbrol 113 (Rust) has recently been brushed on to the filled test piece without immediate problems.   I think that I might be experimenting further with this filler, in different situations. 

Overall, I'm extremely happy and somewhat surprised at the results.

This is the current B & Q  data on their filler  :-  https://www.diy.com/departments/b-q-fine-surface-filler-330g/189770_BQ.prd

Only £1 per 330g  tube (£3.03 per Kg!!)

chrisonord

Looking like I  will be  dragging the  bike out tomorrow weather permitting, and visiting  B&Q . I could do with some.more gel super glue  too.
Cheers
Chris

Rheged

Fillers; various.  A further bulletin.

Rheged minor asks me to pass on his comment that cheap filler powder mixed with water and a very  small quantity of PVA glue was what he used to model a rough sea when he assembled a 1:600 kit of HMS Cossack four years ago.  He says it took colour well and  the finished model is one he is pleased with.   I'd forgotten that he had this small diorama on his window sill............the  cheap filler has NOT deteriorated in four years.

chrisonord

I went to that there B&Q this afternoon  for the filler you  linked  Rheged, but they didn't have any.  Member of staff said it had  been replaced, packaging wide by a different version, which  is a monumental  £1.47 pence dearer, but its still  330 g. I am hoping that it is the same stuff  and that I haven't been  fobbed off, so I will  try some  later on and see what is what.  If it is ok, it will still be  a cheap  replacement for  modelling putty.
Chris

Rheged

Quote from: chrisonord on December 13, 2020, 07:34:11 AM
I went to that there B&Q this afternoon  for the filler you  linked  Rheged, but they didn't have any.  Member of staff said it had  been replaced, packaging wide by a different version, which  is a monumental  £1.47 pence dearer, but its still  330 g. I am hoping that it is the same stuff  and that I haven't been  fobbed off, so I will  try some  later on and see what is what.  If it is ok, it will still be  a cheap  replacement for  modelling putty.
Chris

Odd, because the price and title are lifted directly from B&Q 's own website. The website claimed yesterday that it is "available in most branches" at the price of £1