Fixing Transparencies ?

Started by NARSES2, December 11, 2020, 06:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

For years now I've used Humbrol Clearfix to fix my transparencies to the fuselage etc. Anyway it has it's uses (it will fill small gaps etc) but can be a tad messy given its inherent "gloopiness".

So as I'm coming near to the end of my current jar I was wondering what others use to fix their canopies in place ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I've used 'Gator's Grip Acrylic Hobby Glue' for ages. Sticks canopies AND fills in windows too, just like Kristal Klear.

I'm still on my first bottle too..................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

bog standard, generic PVA for myself.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

rickshaw

I use "Watchmaker's Glue".  Get it from Evilbay, usually from the US.  I have been using one tube for about 18 months and have a spare.  Fairly cheap.  It is a clear glue.  Sticks like all buggery but won't fill gaps.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf

rickshaw

That's the stuff.  Stick like all buggery after a while and is dead clear.  No good for filling gaps though.   :angry:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

I generally use simple white casein glue, because it is water-based and, once dry, becomes almost transparent. Slightly thinned the stuff can also be used to fill small gaps.

Never heard of the watchmaker glue, but it sounds interesting.  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Krystal Klear.  Sticks as well as it needs to but can generally be make to let go when I realise I knocked the canopy and misaligned it before the stuff had set.
KK seems to grip better than ordinary builders PVA.  I've also tried wood glue.  Had no discernible difference to ordinary PVA.
If I need more strength but still require clarity I use 5 minute epoxy.
If I am going windows into a fuselage and there is a risk I may push them inside once the halves are closed I (very carefully) use Tamiya Extra Thin.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 11, 2020, 06:24:31 AM
I've used 'Gator's Grip Acrylic Hobby Glue' for ages. Sticks canopies AND fills in windows too, just like Kristal Klear.

I'm still on my first bottle too..................
Whereabouts did you buy this stuff from please Kit??
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

From my local art shop in Chepstow. Sadly they closed 4-5 yrs ago, but it seems it's quite common in the art field.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 12, 2020, 09:37:42 AM
From my local art shop in Chepstow. Sadly they closed 4-5 yrs ago, but it seems it's quite common in the art field.
Thankyou  Kit, I had a look for it ont tinterweb but nothing  come up. I will  see if I can get it locally somewhere.
Cheers
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.