Another Whiffy Skyhawk-Marine Nationale Skyhawk Completed

Started by AeroplaneDriver, December 12, 2020, 07:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: DogfighterZen on December 19, 2020, 12:28:54 PM

BTW, i've had the Scooter in mind for a while and looking at your build made me bite the bullet and i ordered the Hobbyboss 1/48 A-4M just a few minutes ago... :mellow:
I know it's a simpler kit but it's readily available and cheaper than the Hasegawa but what matters is that i'll finally have one to build. :thumbsup:

I'd like to try the HB one.  I've heard it's a good kit and very similar to Hase but without separate slats/flaps. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

DogfighterZen

As the review i read says: " One can look at the HB A-4 as a kit for those who just want an A-4 on the shelf or that are looking for a simpler build for an in-flight display or "ready to fly" dio.
Well, i admit i have a problem... just a couple of hours after i ordered the HB kit, i came across a great deal on ebay for an Hasegawa A-4M which was even cheaper than the HB kit so, i bought that one too... :rolleyes: ;D
The Hasegawa kit doesn't have any weapons and the Hb kit has a nice quantity and variety, the HB kit's wing tanks are too long but the Hase has a pair of good ones. Surface detail is good on both, just a matter of preference for the modeller but i suspect that Hase's is a bit more refined.
Anyway, i blame you for this... in a good way! I don't have a single A-4 kit in the stash at the moment but, in a few days i'll have the HB kit and hopefully, in a few weeks at the most, i'll have the Hase kit. :thumbsup:
Now, after all this talk, is yours finished?  ;D :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: DogfighterZen on December 19, 2020, 09:37:39 PM
As the review i read says: " One can look at the HB A-4 as a kit for those who just want an A-4 on the shelf or that are looking for a simpler build for an in-flight display or "ready to fly" dio.
Well, i admit i have a problem... just a couple of hours after i ordered the HB kit, i came across a great deal on ebay for an Hasegawa A-4M which was even cheaper than the HB kit so, i bought that one too... :rolleyes: ;D
The Hasegawa kit doesn't have any weapons and the Hb kit has a nice quantity and variety, the HB kit's wing tanks are too long but the Hase has a pair of good ones. Surface detail is good on both, just a matter of preference for the modeller but i suspect that Hase's is a bit more refined.
Anyway, i blame you for this... in a good way! I don't have a single A-4 kit in the stash at the moment but, in a few days i'll have the HB kit and hopefully, in a few weeks at the most, i'll have the Hase kit. :thumbsup:
Now, after all this talk, is yours finished?  ;D :thumbsup:

I thought when you posted you got the HB A-4M that the Hase one was generally cheaper at the moment since it's in production.  I built the M as a Royal Navy inflight build early on in lockdown in the Spring.  It's a lovely kit. Everyone needs at least two in the stash! 

I'm getting closer. Decaling complete and working on a light wash as I type.  I expect it to be finished tomorrow.   STILL unsure of weapons fit though.  To fill five pylons I have assembles two Magic AAMs, two fuel tanks, an Exocet, a Martel, two BLM-400 LGBs, an ECM pod, and a Phimat chaff pod.  There are decisions to be made it seems!   

DogfighterZen

Choosing a color scheme and loadout is always hard for me, it's when i end up realizing that i have to buy another kit to build with a different loadout...  :angel:
I think that the Hase A-4 is also still in production cause it's still listed on their site. I've found them to be almost the same price online when bought new from shops but i bought the Hase kit from a private seller, not a shop so i guess that made the difference, although mine was listed as new and in the pics it seemed to be still sealed.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

AeroplaneDriver

Finally done...

When the French government ordered the Jaguar M in 1972 to replace the Etendard IV as a carrier based attack aircraft the intended service entry date was 1977.  Unfortunately teething problems were greater than anticipated and the loss of prototype number 3 during a launch accident in 1973 led to the cancellation of the program.  After being snubbed in favor of the Jaguar M, Dassault was hesitant to reopen work in its Super Etendard, leaving the Marine Nationale in urgent need of a modern aircraft.  Eventually Dassault agreed to develop the Super Etendard, but resulting delays combined with fatigue issues with the Standard IV led to a stopgap order for 36 surplus US Navy A-4F Skyhawks in early 1974. 

The first Skyhawk entered service with the MN in October 1977 with Flottille 11, followed 9 months later by Flottille 12.  Original plans were for the Skyhawk to be retired by 1985 when the Super Etendard deliveries would be complete, but the aircraft impressed the MN leadership with it's reliability and ease of maintenance, resulting in Flottille 11 retaining their Skyhawks until 2001.

This is a model of a late MN Skyhawk as seen in early 2000.  It carries tail markings for both NATO's 50th Anniversary and the NATO Tiger Meet.  It also carries mission markings from the 1999 Kosovo campaign.  By the end of its career with the MN the A-4F had received a number of upgrades including an APG-66 radar and the fitting of two 30mm DEFA cannon to replace the Colt 20mm guns.  This installation was a copy of the DEFA installation on Israeli Skyhawks. 

Over the course of its service with the MN the Skyhawk carried a variety of weapons including Matra Magic/MAGIC II AAMs, freefall bombs, Beluga cluster munitions, AS-30 and MARTEL ASMs, Matra Rocket pods, and as seen here Laser Guided Bombs.  This aircraft carries two BGL-400 LGBs, a single Magic II AAM and a PHIMAT chaff dispenser along with a centerline external tank.  This was a common weapons fit in Kosovo with a typical mission utilizing a flight of three Skyhawks, two carrying this load out, with a third carrying an ATLIS laser designator pod in lieu of the left BGL-400 and Barracuda ECM pod instead of the Magic II AAM. 

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

DogfighterZen

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Cobra

this is Super Cool :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: Why do Aircraft in French & RN Colors just Seem so Natural? Keep up the Superb Work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

comrade harps

Looks super and love the loudout and backstory too.  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn Gilbertson