Threads playing up

Started by chrisonord, December 18, 2020, 11:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

This is the second time that I have  written this  post  so hopefully  this time  it stays  up. Not sure if this is an isolated case or of anyone else is having  this problem.  I  go on current builds for example  the aircraft  section, and there are several  threads  with the new  notification  next to  them all set in latest  thread and posts. I click on the  top one to read it, then click  on the aircraft  bit again to bring me back to the thread list  and several of  the next posts  that were new/unread  by me have the "new" icon removed.  This is quite annoying as I am  trying to  catch up on  missed  posts.  I hope I have explained myself  properly.  Cheers,
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Rick Lowe

I've had something similar happening for a while now, to the point where the 'unread since last visit' list shrinks of it's own accord, yet when I go to the Home menu, the 'New' tabs are there again and I can access the articles by going in through the particular board.

Strange, but I've learned to live with it.

chrisonord

Not just  me noticing it then, I  use my phone mostly to  access the  site, and it can be a pain at times  compared to  a pc. I am hopefully soon be getting a  laptop again, then I  can also load better quality  pictures up, saying  that , I  don't think  that  could be  a good  thing  as my hands are giving me grief again.
Chris

Rick Lowe

I should add that all my experiences are with a PC, I don't have a smart phone.

chrisonord

Quote from: Rick Lowe on December 18, 2020, 12:40:38 PM
I should add that all my experiences are with a PC, I don't have a smart phone.
Must be a site thing and not a user platform  then.

PR19_Kit

I always look at the site with a PC, and used to run Win7 on my old laptop.

I ALWAYS open the Forum up on the 'Show unread posts since last visit' link, and then go through them one by one. With the old machine it deleted the posts I'd read from the list as I went on, but with Win10 it doesn't. All the posts are always on view, so I hit the 'Show unread.....' link every now and then as I go through them.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

I've had the same problem  and I thought that I was being censored. That's why I'm using my Samsung tablet.

NARSES2

Quote from: chrisonord on December 18, 2020, 11:31:21 AM
This is the second time that I have  written this  post  so hopefully  this time  it stays  up.

Chris

You posted it, or at least it's in, the "Posting Images in Photobucket" thread and I answered it there.

I have noticed it a couple of times, but only one "new" notification has gone each time. I'll keep my eye on it.

Personally I just use the main Forum board and work my way through that. I "have" to look at every post being a Moderator, but it doesn't take me much longer than just looking at the New posts.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 19, 2020, 05:46:22 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on December 18, 2020, 11:31:21 AM
This is the second time that I have  written this  post  so hopefully  this time  it stays  up.

Chris

You posted it, or at least it's in, the "Posting Images in Photobucket" thread and I answered it there.

I have noticed it a couple of times, but only one "new" notification has gone each time. I'll keep my eye on it.

Personally I just use the main Forum board and work my way through that. I "have" to look at every post being a Moderator, but it doesn't take me much longer than just looking at the New posts.

Chris
The photobucket thread?....
Erm , right ok. Looking like I  need to stop using my  thumbs when  on my phone  :banghead:
Thankyou for answering it for me Chris, no wonder I  thought that it  had  disappeared. Oops
Chris

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Right I've done a little experimentation and what appears to be happening is that if say you have 3 threads marked as new within a board and if you then open the middle one of those 3 then when you come back out of that thread the first one will still say new whilst the third one will not.

No if this is what is happening then it's a fairly new phenomenon and you also need to know that these are preliminary results based on some fairly quick experiments. So I'm not saying it's the finite answer, but it might help people.

Chris

chrisonord

That sounds about right that  Chris, although it has also happened  when I have  opened the  first  thread.  Also, and this has happened to  other threads too, I  open the  my stash grew again  thread, read it then go back to the  menu and it shows that there is a new reply.  When I click on it again  it tells me there has been  nothing  new since my last visit.  It has done  it on spinners  thread also
Chris

NARSES2

Quote from: chrisonord on December 20, 2020, 07:04:17 AM
I  open the  my stash grew again  thread, read it then go back to the  menu and it shows that there is a new reply.  When I click on it again  it tells me there has been  nothing  new since my last visit.  It has done  it on spinners  thread also
Chris

Recently it would appear that if you use the "go back arrow" to take you back out of a thread then it takes time to remove the "new" from that thread. No idea why, but it does. To avoid it I simply click on the Board title (eg I would click on General Modelling Topics if not replying to this thread) and that avoids this annoyance.

I'm not going to speculate why this should be, but we all know that when any software is updated then some odd things can happen to how it previously behaved. Anyway I'll keep my eye on it.

chrisonord

That is what I  always  do too Chris, just so I know  where I am  up to really.  It can get a bit annoying  at times  but I  am.sure it will het ironed out eventually.
Chris

Rick Lowe

Yeah, as long as someone's aware and keeping an eye out, that's fine.  :thumbsup: