B.A.C/Convair Lancer F.A.W mk 4

Started by chrisonord, December 29, 2020, 05:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

During  the mid 60' s the U.S government  wanted  several  photo reconnaissance  Canberra  aircraft  to send over to South East Asia. Martin  was unable to  supply  new built RB-57's as it was up to its eye balls working  on repairing  and replacing  current  bomber aircraft. The  U.S turned  to the U.K. government  and asked  if they could  build them some  of their  current  PR Canberra aircraft  and do a swap for a suspended order of 15 F-106 interceptors. The RAF  was quite  excited about getting  their hands  on such an aircraft  and were keen on the idea, but the aircraft  would  need considerable modifications to  the weapons  systems. A deal was struck  and the aircraft  were flown from the U.S to Warton and Samlesbury in Lancashire to be converted. The RAF  didn't  want  the Falcon missiles, so the weapons bay  was sealed up and extra  fuel tanks  were  fitted.  Four  wing pylons  were fitted  and wired to carry firestreak  and later redtop missiles, as well as drop tanks.  Guns  were looked into, but never  made it on a service aircraft, but a fuselage  tray with 2 30 mm cannons  was designed  to be fitted  just  behind the  front  landing gear. The engines  remained the  original  Pratt and Whitney  J-75 's  as fitted and a license was obtained  by Rolls Royce  to produce  parts for the engines.  The aircraft  remained in  service  until  1978, and.was a much loved aircraft by its pilots, and a formidable adversary to  all that locked  horns with it.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ncwU9GVP8puWrBZG7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dXD6Hve48Frsy8UN8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BAdARoXxZVAR68rt5
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3aJcF5we2NXqh3166
Kit is the old Hasegawa one, it went  together  ok but has lots of flash and seams that needed cleaning up, but I enjoyed building it.  The airbrush  come  back out for this one, as I have  put a different  spring  in the trigger, the paint  kept being  awkward  too, but it will.do.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Oh yes!  ;D

An RAF Six looks SO good, and yours is REALLY good Chris.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Nice!

Maybe the US could have allowed a few Genies under the dual use agreement  ;)
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

buzzbomb

scooter

Very nice.  That's the nice thing about the Hase 106- you can just paint the frame on the transparency and have an "new" mark of Six.  I did the same thing on my "modernized" Dart.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

AeroplaneDriver

Beautiful!  Love the 106 and always love seeing it in something other than Air Defense Gray.   :wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Dizzyfugu

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Glenn Gilbertson

DogfighterZen

Very nice indeed!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Somehow reminds me of the RAAF Mirage III.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"