My Library just grew again 2021

Started by Rheged, December 31, 2020, 03:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Rheged has gone to Carlisle to look after his 95 year old mother.  In The Works in Carlisle today, I obtained a Haynes manual on the Westland Wessex. Original price £25, reduced first to £7 then to £3............but it was damaged so I persuaded them it was a work of charity on my part to take it off them for £1.    I think that counts as a reasonably good deal!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

MAGIC stuff!  :thumbsup:

I didn't notice they did one on the Wessex, could be handy........... 
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 11, 2021, 09:26:11 AM

I got the last copy.  If you can't find one of your own, I can loan mine out...........you're only just down the road from me.

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 11, 2021, 09:26:11 AM

I could have a look in my local The Works for you if you want Kit seeing that I have some time on my hands at the moment.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Rheged

Into Carlisle again this morning; my 95 year old mum wanted to go into town..............not really to buy anything, but just to say she'd been OUT OF THE HOUSE  for the first  time since March last year.  Popped into The Works again, just in case there was anything interesting, and lo and behold a Haynes manual on the Vickers Wellington------manager's final reduction, only £2.50-------appeared.    Well, it would have been most  impolite of me to refuse this kind offer, so it came home with me.      Mum meanwhile had a WONDERFUL time, just sitting with a coffee outside a town centre café and chatting to a small group of friends, who to the untutored eye looked like either the nucleus of a firing squad or a coven of spectacularly talented witches!

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on May 19, 2021, 09:55:03 AM
  Mum meanwhile had a WONDERFUL time, just sitting with a coffee outside a town centre café and chatting to a small group of friends, who to the untutored eye looked like either the nucleus of a firing squad or a coven of spectacularly talented witches!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's amazing how people are beginning to enjoy all those little things we took for granted only 18 months or so ago
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Too right!  :thumbsup:

I went out for lunch for the first time in WELL over a year today, and I didn't give a damn about the awful weather. It was the re-opening day for my fave local restaurant, The Bridge Cafe, and I was determined to be there to support them.  ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

tigercat

That's not the one on the Apprentice ?

PR19_Kit

I doubt it, we're WELL out in the sticks here.

Is there one with that name mentioned on the show then?

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

3 from Osprey

Essential Histories Franco-Prussian War 1870-1871. I have a very basic grasp of the framework for this pivotal European conflict, but nothing in depth. Mainly because my "O" Level European History European syllabus started with the consequences of the conflict and it's a very important period when it comes to trying to understand the next 100 years of European history. Osprey's Essential Histories are good starters  :thumbsup:

Campaign - The First Battle of Ypres 1914

Campaign - The First Battle of the Marne 1914
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 25, 2021, 06:32:16 AM
Essential Histories Franco-Prussian War 1870-1871. I have a very basic grasp of the framework for this pivotal European conflict, but nothing in depth. Mainly because my "O" Level European History European syllabus started with the consequences of the conflict and it's a very important period when it comes to trying to understand the next 100 years of European history. Osprey's Essential Histories are good starters  :thumbsup:

I had a Western Civ professor side eye me when, on the first day of class she asked us for what we thought had the most historical impact on Europe and I had mentioned the Franco-Prussian War.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Rheged

I agree that the Franco-Prussian war was a major milestone and the catalyst for the next 100 years of  European  events.     My  history prof (50years ago) said that this war was "insufficiently studied in Britain"............he also commented, when asked if the French Revolution was a success, replied   "it's too early to tell"

tigercat

It's the Cafe the losing team get sent to point fingers and stab each other in back

Gondor

Arrived today from Valiant Wings my pre-ordered

Henschel Hs129

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on May 25, 2021, 12:21:54 PM
..he also commented, when asked if the French Revolution was a success, replied   "it's too early to tell"

Sometimes you'd think it's still going on, and I'm being serious