My Library just grew again 2021

Started by Rheged, December 31, 2020, 03:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

That does look interesting. Thanks for drawing it to our attention.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Rheged

Raymond Baxter's Farnborough Commentary.      Autobiographical book on his reporting of SBAC since 1950.   Lots of pix (but only B&W)  and a text that when read  aloud sounds just like his broadcast commentaries.............and it only cost me 50p.

PR19_Kit

A wonderful bloke, I listened to all his Grand Prix and Le Mans commentaries for years, and to his Farnborough ones too. He actually drove in the Monte Carlo Rally in the 1950s once, in a Rolls Royce!  :o

I met him twice as well, they did an episode of Tomorrow's World at Pressed Steel and I demo'd our impact test rig for him and then taught him how to have a go with it!  ;D

Years later he was the Commandant of the Small Ships Fleet, the boats that went to Dunkirk, and his boat was moored on the Thames right in front of my Uncle's boat.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: scooter on September 11, 2021, 03:03:30 PM
Read on Kindle Unlimited: The Vixen War Bride

Synopsis:
With the destruction of their home colony, Captain Ben Gibson and his Army Rangers have nowhere else to go.

Six months after humanity's victory in Earth's first ever interstellar war, a group of soldiers are tasked with running a convoy refueling base in a rural part of the occupied enemy world. When they arrive, they find the local village has been abandoned in anticipation of their arrival by the panicked residents. Fearing a possible humanitarian crisis, the troops have to go into the alien wilderness to find them, reassure them that the humans are not the savages they've been taught they are and bring them back.

And it won't be easy. They will have to overcome language barriers, a fearful and hostile population, cross-cultural miscommunications, almost no support from the Army, and their own demons to succeed. With no idea where to start, it looks nearly impossible until the sudden arrival of a dirty, disheveled priestess who confesses to a host of war crimes and demands she be executed for them.

Highly recommended, I read both the first and second book in one sitting.  The author is a retired USAF journalist with 3 deployments, and based the plot around an anecdotal incident that happened immediately after the surrender and occupation of Japan.

Pre-ordered, for Kindle, Book 3 of the series, Uncivil Affairs; book drops on the 12th
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Gondor

Three books arrived this evening

Teach For The Sky: British Training Aircraft since 1945

American Secret Projects 4: Bombers, Attack and Anti-Submarine Aircraft 1945-1974

Chinese Fighter Aircraft Product Brochures

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

scooter

Quote from: scooter on October 28, 2021, 12:29:53 PM
Quote from: scooter on September 11, 2021, 03:03:30 PM
Read on Kindle Unlimited: The Vixen War Bride

Synopsis:
With the destruction of their home colony, Captain Ben Gibson and his Army Rangers have nowhere else to go.

Six months after humanity's victory in Earth's first ever interstellar war, a group of soldiers are tasked with running a convoy refueling base in a rural part of the occupied enemy world. When they arrive, they find the local village has been abandoned in anticipation of their arrival by the panicked residents. Fearing a possible humanitarian crisis, the troops have to go into the alien wilderness to find them, reassure them that the humans are not the savages they've been taught they are and bring them back.

And it won't be easy. They will have to overcome language barriers, a fearful and hostile population, cross-cultural miscommunications, almost no support from the Army, and their own demons to succeed. With no idea where to start, it looks nearly impossible until the sudden arrival of a dirty, disheveled priestess who confesses to a host of war crimes and demands she be executed for them.

Highly recommended, I read both the first and second book in one sitting.  The author is a retired USAF journalist with 3 deployments, and based the plot around an anecdotal incident that happened immediately after the surrender and occupation of Japan.

Pre-ordered, for Kindle, Book 3 of the series, Uncivil Affairs; book drops on the 12th

Read it today at work.  Still recommend the series.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

AeroplaneDriver

Nice little treasure trove of whiffery ideas in the post today...

Typhoon To Typhoon:  RAF Air Support Projects and Weapons Since 1945 by Chris Gibson
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

PR19_Kit

Gleaned from various stands at Telford...

1) The F3H Demon book in the Detail & Scale series. Now I really will AHVE to build that Emhar Demon I've had for ages!

2) US Secret Projects part 4. What WERE they smoking??????

3) Teach for the Sky, which almost everyone on the SIG stand seems to have bought. I expect a rush of trainers over the next few months.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

I came home from Telford with a copy of Teach For The Sky like everyone else  :lol:

NARSES2

From Guideline Publications :- Warpaint Aviation No 1 - Fall of Iron, Light and Medium Bomber Aircraft of WWII.

Short pieces on 8 WWII types with loads of profiles very similar to the SAM Aircraft in Profile articles with the addition of some kit builds for some of the types included.

And no I didn't buy "Teach for  the Sky"  :angel:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Rheged minor has accumulated from my late father in law's shelves:-
R V Jones Most Secret War
Richard Overy  The Bombing War 1939-45
N E Dixon    Psychology of Military Incompetence
Adrian Vaughn  I  K Brunel
Francis Crosby  World encyclopaedia of Fighters and Bombers

All of which I will no doubt peruse in due course..........except the R V Jones.....cos I was introduced to R V Jones as "Miss MacAllister's young man"    when she was my girl friend at Aberdeen Uni  many years ago  and he was her prof.        Yes, we are still married to one another!!

NARSES2

Had 20 mins or so yesterday lunchtime before I met some mates in the Market Tavern so popped into Waterstones for a quick browse in their history section. Came away with :-

The Deadly Trade. The complete history of submarine warfare from Archimedes to the present day by Iain Ballantyne.

I was looking for a primer/overview of the Austro Hungarian Empire. A couple of books on the Hapsburgs and the Empire's final years, but nothing much else. Need to keep looking  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

While in town today I popped into WH Smiths and left with a Key Publishing bookazine, The Essential Guide to Airborne Agencies Special Mission Aircraft. Lots of stuff on civilian aircraft that are being used. Fills a gap in my knowlage.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 19, 2021, 06:39:14 AM
Had 20 mins or so yesterday lunchtime before I met some mates in the Market Tavern so popped into Waterstones for a quick browse in their history section. Came away with :-

The Deadly Trade. The complete history of submarine warfare from Archimedes to the present day by Iain Ballantyne.

I was looking for a primer/overview of the Austro Hungarian Empire. A couple of books on the Hapsburgs and the Empire's final years, but nothing much else. Need to keep looking  ;)

I'd be interested to have your comments on The Deadly Trade........it looks like the sort of thing I'd like to read.   I've already read "Silent  Deep"  which I can strongly recommend    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Deep-Royal-Submarine-Service-ebook/dp/B0171SWRGI

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on November 19, 2021, 10:20:40 AM

I'd be interested to have your comments on The Deadly Trade........it looks like the sort of thing I'd like to read.   I've already read "Silent  Deep"  which I can strongly recommend    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silent-Deep-Royal-Submarine-Service-ebook/dp/B0171SWRGI

It's being lined up for my next London-Newcastle train trip so I shall let you know