My Library just grew again 2021

Started by Rheged, December 31, 2020, 03:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 02, 2021, 05:42:41 AM
Whilst out this morning I picked up the Tony Wilson Lightning book  :thumbsup:

First thing that got me was the photo on page 10 of the EE staff having what you'd now call a "bonding session", but in 1948 was probably known as "tea and cakes"  ;D

That was in the managers boardroom judging by the cutlery and tablecloth. One of the things that Empire of the Clouds picks out as causing conflict in the factory. Although I wonder if the many types of company sports such as cricket and football were a bit of an equaliser.

Mossie

Still happens like that where I work.  We got an edict saying that no tea or chattering was to be ordered for staff meetings due to budget cuts.  The ones who made the decision were exempt if course.   :rolleyes:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

Many decades ago I used to work for a University as a Statistical Programmer.  Just before I joined, the union had negotiated a new "workplace agreement" with the stipulation that morning and afternoon teas were from now on, going to be 10 minutes only.  That was basically ignored by all and sundry.  They had been 30 minutes and they remained 30 minutes.  The Academics took 30 minutes and the ancillary staff took 30 minutes 'cause the academics took 30 minutes and we being a democratic society what they took, we took.  I used to sit outside in all weathers 'cause some of my friends were smokers (and in Canberra with near zero temperatures in winter, that took some stamina).  I had a great tan, a deep brown from the sun in summer and a frozen expression in winter.  The Academics thought we were all crazy - which we were.   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: Nick on March 02, 2021, 06:14:33 AM
Although I wonder if the many types of company sports such as cricket and football were a bit of an equaliser.

That's something my first employer (Pearl Assurance) was very good at. 2 sports grounds and annual competitions between the 3 branches, bit like houses at school  ;D Quite satisfying leaving a middle manager sitting on his backside in the football after a particular tough tackle ;) British Steel was quite good at it as well, but it all started to die off in the 90's  :-\
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

At my last employers their US head Office held an annual inter division event at the local County Fair ground, which had it's own car race track......  ;)

It was a 1/4 mile oval so it was quite tight, and the cars were all stripped out Camaros and Mustangs. My hot rodding buddy over there, Roger, suggested that I enter the races 'au concours' as there wasn't a 'Division' for the UK as I was the only one there.

So I did.

And I won.  ;D ;D ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Received from the Big Yellow H today

IsraDecal Publications Aircraft of the Israeli Air Force 7, Dassault Ouragan
IsraDecal Publications The IAF in Focus 2, General Dynamics F-16A/B Netz, Israeli Air Force Knights of the North Squadron 1980-1987
IsraDecal Publications Israeli Air Force Mini Photo Album 2, The First Jet Squadron Mirage IIIC/B 1962-1079
IsraDecal Publications Aircraft in Detail 10, M-346 Lavi in IAF service

That means that I have copies of all books by IsraDecal Publications that Hannants have in stock and still have gaps  is some of the series.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Slightly late birthday presents

Osprey Roman Heavy Cavalry (2) AD 500-1450
D-Day Through German Eyes : How the Wehrmacht lost France.
The Price of Glory : Verdun 1916..

Got the Price of Glory for some background reading as if we are allowed to travel in the Autumn, me and a mate are going over there for a couple of days. Thankfully his French is far better than mine  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 04, 2021, 06:44:49 AM
Slightly late birthday presents

Osprey Roman Heavy Cavalry (2) AD 500-1450
D-Day Through German Eyes : How the Wehrmacht lost France.
The Price of Glory : Verdun 1916..

Got the Price of Glory for some background reading as if we are allowed to travel in the Autumn, me and a mate are going over there for a couple of days. Thankfully his French is far better than mine  ;)

Lots of things to see in the region. You should program a longer trip.
I found this quite useful:
https://www.amazon.fr/1914-1918-750-Mus%C3%A9es-%C3%A9dition-bilingue/dp/2953384189/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&qid=1614888304&refinements=p_27%3ASebastien+Hervouet&s=books&sr=1-1&text=Sebastien+Hervouet

There is also a volume about 39-45.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Thankyou  :thumbsup: Dates aren't fixed yet, so we can still make it into a longer trip  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Another ebay purchase arrived today

F-16C/D Barak in IAF service, Aircraft in Detail 8  Isra Decal Publications.

This leves me with on number 9 to get in this series to have what I beleive is the full set.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Received today

Osprey Air Combat   Dassault-Breguet Mirage III/5

bought because I wanted something a little more substantial on this aircraft family and seeing that I have recently bought several kits of the subject.

Gondor

Gondor

Arrived today

Leander Class Frigates by Jim Allaway and published by HMSO

Gondor

Gondor

From the big yellow H

Double Ugly "Israeli Phantoms both Vol 1 & Vol 2"

Double Ugly Fox Two Modellers Essentials Mini "The Essential Aircraft References For Modelers #01  Blackburn Buccaneer  The 'Awesome Flying Banana Jet' In Royal Air Force Service

Double Ugly Fox Two Details & Markings "Aircraft References for Enthusiasts and Modelers - No3" Douglas A-4 Skyhawk  The A-4 'Ahit' in Israeli Air Force Service

Gondor

Knightflyer

I too now have a copy of English Electric Lightning Genesis and Projects

The order email to my wife (it's her Amazon account) led to a little mirth. As a Vicar she wasn't sure at first if the book was for her (Genesis) or whether it had something to do with my work for an energy supply company, misreading Lightning as Lighting didn't help there!  ;D

I also have just received -

Pen & Sword - Cold War 1945-1991 : Suez Crisis by David Charleswood

and

MMP Books Orange Series - Blackburn Shark by Matthew Willis

On the latter the blurb that "the Shark was more modern than the Swordfish and performed better, and had it not been bedevilled with engine trouble in its early service may have gone onto great things"

Leads to a whole series of Shark replacing the Swordfish whiffs, it's a shame that the one kit out there (as far as I'm aware) is the FROG and it's NOVO & Eastern Express repops.
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

Rheged

Quote from: Knightflyer on March 21, 2021, 04:42:08 AM
I too now have a copy of English Electric Lightning Genesis and Projects

The order email to my wife (it's her Amazon account) led to a little mirth. As a Vicar she wasn't sure at first if the book was for her (Genesis) or whether it had something to do with my work for an energy supply company, misreading Lightning as Lighting didn't help there!  ;D

I too was planning to order this on my wife's Amazon account.  As she is an Anglican Lay Reader, I can foresee  a similar problem unless I remind her it's for me!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet