My Library just grew again 2021

Started by Rheged, December 31, 2020, 03:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Somewhere there's a pic of a white Vulcan landing with the rear part of the canopy missing.

I can't remember the whole back story, but I vaguely recall it had jettisoned itself. A bit of a shock for the crew.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Quote from: scooter on February 13, 2021, 05:11:03 PM
Quote from: zenrat on February 13, 2021, 04:35:46 PM
Did the top of the Vulcan come off like that normally (in an emergency natch)?  Or was it something they just did for the filming.
And did they use parts of a real Vulcan or was it a mock up?

Yes, I could probably look this up but I know someone out there will have the answers at their fingertips.

According to the Bond wiki the film crew built a full size mockup that they sank for and dynamited after filming.

The scaffold it was built on still exists and is a popular diving site, it's now covered in coral.  I believe the boat that was sunk in Never say Never Again is also very nearby.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

rickshaw

Quote from: scooter on February 13, 2021, 05:11:03 PM
Quote from: zenrat on February 13, 2021, 04:35:46 PM
Did the top of the Vulcan come off like that normally (in an emergency natch)?  Or was it something they just did for the filming.
And did they use parts of a real Vulcan or was it a mock up?

Yes, I could probably look this up but I know someone out there will have the answers at their fingertips.

Like the B-52s used in Dr. Strangelove, the Vulcan used in Thunderball was a mockup and included features not in the real plane such as a passageway from the cockpit into the bomb bay.  What was interesting about the B-52s was what they got right, rather than what they got wrong.  Completely without help from either Boeing or the USAF they got most of it right apparently.   The Vulcan was, apart from the passageway mostly right as well. :thumbsup:

According to the Bond wiki the film crew built a full size mockup that they sank for and dynamited after filming.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 09, 2021, 07:11:25 AM

The builder goes into the usual detail on how it all fits together, including even the paint nos. he used for the seats of the GIBs, as well as the add-on PE stuff he used in the cockpit.

This is a 1/72 scale VULCAN for crying out loud! It's got two tiny portholes in the canopy sides and five panes the windscreen. There's not a hope in hell you can seen anything in there bar the pilot's and co-pilot's seat, so WHY?  :o :o

Why do you care? It's his model he can build it any damned way he chooses. The irony of a What-If? builder
complaining about how someone else builds their own model is amusing.
:rolleyes:

PR19_Kit

Sure he can, but it defeats me why he goes to such lengths explaining how he's done it, when all that effort is totally invisible to the viewer.

And it's a first magazine review of that kit as well....................
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Picked up Tony Wilson's Lightning book, at the local Tescos of all places.  :o

It's STUFFED with drawings of umpteen different Lightning variants that they never got round to actually building. A Whiffer's paradise!  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Nick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 25, 2021, 08:57:03 AM

It's STUFFED with drawings of umpteen different Lightning variants that they never got round to actually building. A Whiffer's paradise!  :thumbsup:

I got my copy on Wednesday from WHSmith. It is fabulous! The cover art is incredible, looks like a V-tail EE P1.A in glorious shiny silver  :thumbsup:
https://www.mortonsbooks.co.uk/product/view/productCode/15064

Unfortunately I have damaged it already. Last night I went to close the bedroom window and the handle snapped off in my hand. In trying to fix it I knelt on the book and creased it badly.  :banghead:

I admit I had a shock when the price popped up as I'd assumed it was about £8.99 like the larger Special Ops magazine I bought previously. Having had a good look thru I now believe that if this was in hardcover it'd be about £25 and part 1 of 3 volumes.

PR19_Kit

I reckon it's well worth the £12.99, it's STUFFED with information that just isn't anywhere else.

Apart from in Warton's archives of course.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Kit, with regard to the "invisible interior", some people like to detail/build items that are not goibg to be seen because they can, it can be used to show accomplished the modeller is or it can show how to produce such detail which could be used elsewhere, although I totaly agree about such work being a waste of effort generally.

As for the Tony Wilson book on the Lightning, I have parts put aside for the two Naval versions near the back of the book and thinking about some of the variations too.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on February 25, 2021, 09:44:24 AM

Kit, with regard to the "invisible interior", some people like to detail/build items that are not goibg to be seen because they can, it can be used to show accomplished the modeller is or it can show how to produce such detail which could be used elsewhere, although I totaly agree about such work being a waste of effort generally.

My point was that it was a review kit, not only that but the FIRST review kit of the new Airfix Vulcan.

Surely such a review should have been built OOB to give the rest of the modelling world the true view of it?

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Quote from: Gondor on February 06, 2021, 09:30:21 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on February 06, 2021, 09:13:28 AM
Quote from: Mossie on February 06, 2021, 08:12:39 AM
Quote from: chrisonord on February 06, 2021, 04:52:24 AM
Just dropped through  my door my copy of  Lightning  genesis and projects, should  have arrived with my secret projects book, but at least it  is here. Very  interesting stuff  in it especially for us wiffionados. I  think it  were about 8 quid, and well worth buying.
Chris

I've got a copy due but it's been delayed.
I think mine was delayed to Mossie, hopefully yours won't be far behind.
Chris

I think Colin of Freightdog will have to cast up some more ground attack sets  to go with what's in that book.

Gondor

Finally got this yesterday, it's been a bit of an epic.  Problems with the first order that was easiest to cancel & re-book.  Unfortunately I got put to the back of the queue, several revised arrival dates later I got it.  Ironically, in the time I was waiting my local Asda stocked it!  Bit of a surprise to see such a niche book there and I could have just picked it up but had to wait.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 25, 2021, 08:57:03 AM

Ditto but mail order as not yet seen on the local shelves.

And LOTS of whif inspiration - may have to invest in Freightdog's ground attack set to add to the VG conversion.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Spey_Phantom

one new addition this week:

American Secret Projects 3: U.S. Airlifters since 1962 (by Craig Kaston & George Cox)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

kitbasher

Enjoying the Tony Wilson Lightning book.  Sits nicely with Tony Buttler's 'British Secret Projects: Fighters' and Dan Sharp's 'Secret Jets of Cold War Britain' bookazine from a couple of years ago.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Whilst out this morning I picked up the Tony Wilson Lightning book  :thumbsup:

First thing that got me was the photo on page 10 of the EE staff having what you'd now call a "bonding session", but in 1948 was probably known as "tea and cakes"  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.