Started by Rheged, December 31, 2020, 03:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on April 15, 2021, 11:06:11 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 07, 2021, 06:48:24 AM
Quote from: Rheged on April 07, 2021, 05:04:52 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 07, 2021, 04:09:51 AM
You do? I didn't get that in my copy! :(

Is that the one with the Sea Venom on the cover?

The Sea Venom is the April copy.

No, it definitely says 'May' on the cover................

It's not a new issue as the back cover has a promotion for Airfix 'new for 2014' D-Day.

It MUST be 'new', I just bought the mag, and it wouldn't have been 7 years old of it had been in a magazine shop!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 16, 2021, 12:50:37 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 14, 2021, 02:19:58 PM

Erm, I think so, but I'm not sure. I've packed it now and won't see it till tomorrow some time.

Yes, it is Alastair, I just checked it.  ;D

Thanks, I have both of their books in that series on the Moaquito  :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Wooksta!

Quote from: PR19_Kit on April 14, 2021, 11:44:01 AM
I picked up Richard Franks book on the Bomber and PR Mossies today, but at a STUPID price.   ;D

Listed at £18.95, I got it for £5.00. Result!  :thumbsup:

Check everything he says with other sources. It's as full of errors and assumptions as his earlier book for SAMI. If he said it was raining, I'd look out of the window.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 16, 2021, 09:13:58 AM

Check everything he says with other sources. It's as full of errors and assumptions as his earlier book for SAMI. If he said it was raining, I'd look out of the window.

;D ;D

I'll just look at the piccies then.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

That's assuming that the captions match the photos. At least two in the Data file were utterly incorrect.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

Picked up a bookazine on the B-52 from a 'foreign' (it's in Wales...) Tescos.

Looks pretty good, LOTS of pics, many of which I haven't seen before.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Having really enjoyed Alistair Horne's "The Price of Glory" I got the other two books in the trilogy : "The Fall of Paris. The Siege and the Commune 1870-1871" and "To Loose a Battle. France 1940".
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Steel Penguin

Haynes Challenger 1 manual   :thumbsup:  I will enjoy a read of this, and the pics look good for some inspiration as well.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 24, 2021, 05:59:54 AM
Having really enjoyed Alistair Horne's "The Price of Glory" I got the other two books in the trilogy : "The Fall of Paris. The Siege and the Commune 1870-1871" and "To Loose a Battle. France 1940".

I can recommend the "Siege and Commune" volume.  I got a copy as the Carlisle Grammar School prize for Spoken French in 1969 (A level year)  and it's well enough written to read cover to cover as "a good story"
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on April 26, 2021, 02:39:23 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 24, 2021, 05:59:54 AM

I can recommend the "Siege and Commune" volume.  I got a copy as the Carlisle Grammar School prize for Spoken French in 1969 (A level year)  and it's well enough written to read cover to cover as "a good story"

Thanks  :thumbsup: I got the Verdun volume as background for a trip I'm hopefully making later this year with a mate to the battleground and have been very impressed by it.

I found to my amazement that I had very little on my bookshelves about the Franco-Prussian War and my "O" Level History European syllabus started in 1871 with the foundation of the German Empire. So I'm going to invest in the Osprey Essential Histories volume on the subject. I've always found them good starters.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Steel Penguin

second book of the week,  Haynes challenger 2 manual  :thumbsup:  more tanky goodness 
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Steel Penguin on April 29, 2021, 09:47:03 AM

second book of the week,  Haynes challenger 2 manual  :thumbsup:  more tanky goodness

Yes, it's really good. Mind you, it's the only tank book I've got.  ;D

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Arrived via eBay, Jefford's RAF Squadrons.

Some nice photos in, although not enough Mosquitoes for my liking. Some new ones though, plus a nice shot of one of the impressed HP Heracles with 271 sqn.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Gondor

From Warpaint books

Warpaint Series 91: Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21 "Fishbed"

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

A HUGE book on car design in 2004. Yes, I KNOW it's ancient, but the pics are amazing and the text is very informative, especially about my friend Wayne Cherry, who was GM's head of design for a number of years, and who I met when he was chief designer at Vauxhall.

Even better it's cover price was $50 and I got it for £5.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit