Quote from: Gondor on September 16, 2021, 04:11:37 AM
Received today

Naval Fighters Number Forty-Five
Douglas A4D  Skywarrior
Part One
Design/Structure/Testing

Fighter?

Gondor

Well, the type *did* shoot down a pair of MiGs during Vietnam.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Key Pubs have just put out their 'US Navy & Marine Corps Air Power Year Book 2021', as if they did it every year.....

It's quite interesting, lots of pics etc. but THE item of interest is a feature on the Boeing MQ-25 Stingray UAV being used as a tanker! There's pics of it hooked up to an F-18F and an E-2D, but the most bizarre is one of it taxi-ing to its stand at St Louis being guided in by an aircraft handler.

It all sounds all very logical until you remember that it doesn't have a pilot aboard!  :o

OK, so I guess he's looking through a CCTV camera from his 'Flight Station', which could be a couple of thousand miles away, but it's still weird.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Received a few minuites ago

Airframe & Miniature No.17 The Messerschmitt Bf 110

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Rheged

As if we hadn't enough books already...........has anyone else used "Postscript Books"?    They do a good line in a wide variety of remaindered books at very attractive prices.   www.psbooks.co.uk     I've had quite a few good things from them
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Gondor

Quote from: Rheged on September 28, 2021, 07:30:44 AM
As if we hadn't enough books already...........has anyone else used "Postscript Books"?    They do a good line in a wide variety of remaindered books at very attractive prices.   www.psbooks.co.uk     I've had quite a few good things from them

I might have as I have their page bookmarked already.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Received today from Aviation Book Shop

Tankograd 9033 CVR(T) Scorpion-Scimitar-Sabre as I have 1/35 kit's started in the stash so a reasonably cheap reference book was too good to miss. I also didn't know that there had been a Scimitar Mk 2!

Gondor headding off to Scalemates to see if there is a kit of a Mk2

PR19_Kit

Got the Lightning and Variations book today after numerous positive recommendations on here.

Looks a GEM!  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Received today from Guideline Publications

Warpaint No.52 Fairey Albacore

Bought to anable me to get sizes for several parts that would go onto my P.Z.L. 19 Sokole oko if I had one to rob parts from  :-\

Gondor

Gondor

Received today from Aviation Book Centre

Top Drawings 119 Junkers Ju 188/388

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Scott Lowther's book on the SR-71 and it's competitors and variants, ZILLIONS of them! (Bought from W H Smith, of all places!)

Includes quite a good drawing of the Convair Kingfish. SO goo I'm tempted to try and scratch one, it's a pretty simple, but BIG shape.......  :o

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 20, 2021, 01:22:28 PM
Scott Lowther's book on the SR-71 and it's competitors and variants, ZILLIONS of them! (Bought from W H Smith, of all places!)

Includes quite a good drawing of the Convair Kingfish. SO goo I'm tempted to try and scratch one, it's a pretty simple, but BIG shape.......  :o

Have you seen this series of articles on the "archived" Lockheed Code One Magazine site?
Super Hustler, FISH, Kingfish, And Beyond
http://www.codeonemagazine.com/article.html?item_id=67
http://www.codeonemagazine.com/article.html?item_id=74
http://www.codeonemagazine.com/article.html?item_id=184
http://www.codeonemagazine.com/article.html?item_id=92

This is from the final part: Part 4: Beyond Kingfish   ;D

QuoteConfiguration SUB-6 was a subsonic (Mach 0.77) design that looked like a stealthy version of the U-2. The
aircraft had a wingspan of 195 feet. Like the LCS-1, SUB-6 had a bifurcated inlet located on the top side of the
fuselage. Also like the LCS-1, SUB-6, was powered by two TJ70 turbojet engines. The aircraft had a gross weight
of 60,000 pounds. Its pre-zone, zone, and post-zone ranges were all 2,200 nautical miles. The configuration was
dropped from further study because its low speed and low cruising altitude (80,000 feet) made it vulnerable to
potential threats.

Mossie

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 20, 2021, 01:22:28 PM

It's excellent.  I've also coveted the Kingfish, such a different design to the Blackbird.  There's also many attractive alternatives from Lockheed.

He has a B-47/B-52 book out too, might be up your street.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 22, 2021, 07:23:41 PM

Have you seen this series of articles on the "archived" Lockheed Code One Magazine site?
Super Hustler, FISH, Kingfish, And Beyond
http://www.codeonemagazine.com/article.html?item_id=67
http://www.codeonemagazine.com/article.html?item_id=74
http://www.codeonemagazine.com/article.html?item_id=184
http://www.codeonemagazine.com/article.html?item_id=92

Noooooooooooooooooooo, but I have now, thanks very much Jon. That's fascinating stuff.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on October 22, 2021, 07:23:41 PM

'The configuration was dropped from further study because its low speed and low cruising altitude (80,000 feet) made it vulnerable to potential threats.'

LOW cruising altitude?  :o :o

Quote from: Mossie on October 23, 2021, 03:22:46 AM

He has a B-47/B-52 book out too, might be up your street.

Coooer, I'll keep an eye out for that too, thanks Mossie.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Another Key Publishing Bookazine from Sainsbury's, this one being Special Mission Aircraft.

Good range of articles about Police, surveillance, border patrol, firefighting, medevac and SAR aircraft, both fixed and rotary wing, with lots of big, clear colourful photographs. Makes an interesting change from military stuff in cammo.

https://shop.keypublishing.com/product/View/productCode/SPECSMAIR/Special%20Mission%20Aircraft
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones