My stash just grew again 2021

Started by Martin H, January 01, 2021, 01:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

I've very fond memories of a specific Herald, particularly one that my girlfriend's flatmate drove in Aberdeen.   The starter motor pinion used to jam in the engaged position, and needed a sound belt with the wheel brace to disengage it.    I have a very vivid memory, after it stalled at a set of traffic lights,  of two tall young ladies with almost waist length hair and floor length tie-dye ethnic skirts leaping out, raising the bonnet, belting the starter motor, lowering the bonnet and then driving off..............it all seemed to happen in seconds.  They had just given me a lift to the station.  Their performance gained a round of applause from passers by.  I'm not sure that this could be done with a modern car, but the way the whole front end of the Herald hinges up made it easy.   That girlfriend (now Madame R,  nearly 35 years and counting)  still reckons that she could still do "serious things" with a wheel brace if provoked.

Another Herald story that might amuse is the case of an idiot student at Lancaster.  He had been demonstrating his convertible Herald's turning circle (which was quite exceptional) but left the wheels on full lock.   Later, when he leapt in and roared off with too many revs and no sense  the savage forward motion was too much for the tyres, which were pulled off the rims!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on June 11, 2021, 08:10:21 AM

I'm not sure that this could be done with a modern car.................

With most modern cars there's so much 'stuff' crammed in around and on top of the engine you'd have a hard job even FINDING the starter motor!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pellson

From Evilbay, my first F-20. I THINK I know what to with it, but the options are truly endless. Accordingly, I might need more, eventually.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Pellson on June 11, 2021, 10:46:39 AM
From Evilbay, my first F-20. I THINK I know what to with it, but the options are truly endless. Accordingly, I might need more, eventually.

indeed. I did a two seater Bahrani one that was almost real!
Keeper of George the Cat.

Weaver

Quote from: Rheged on June 11, 2021, 08:10:21 AM
I've very fond memories of a specific Herald, particularly one that my girlfriend's flatmate drove in Aberdeen.   The starter motor pinion used to jam in the engaged position, and needed a sound belt with the wheel brace to disengage it.    I have a very vivid memory, after it stalled at a set of traffic lights,  of two tall young ladies with almost waist length hair and floor length tie-dye ethnic skirts leaping out, raising the bonnet, belting the starter motor, lowering the bonnet and then driving off..............it all seemed to happen in seconds.  They had just given me a lift to the station.  Their performance gained a round of applause from passers by.  I'm not sure that this could be done with a modern car, but the way the whole front end of the Herald hinges up made it easy.   That girlfriend (now Madame R,  nearly 35 years and counting)  still reckons that she could still do "serious things" with a wheel brace if provoked.

Another Herald story that might amuse is the case of an idiot student at Lancaster.  He had been demonstrating his convertible Herald's turning circle (which was quite exceptional) but left the wheels on full lock.   Later, when he leapt in and roared off with too many revs and no sense  the savage forward motion was too much for the tyres, which were pulled off the rims!

Seen somebody 'kickstart' a Moto Guzzi motorbike like that once, by giving the sticking car-style starter-motor a swift kick!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Howard of Effingham

From the only model shop in Beeston......

1/32 Airfix 17pdr Anti Tank Gun kit and its going to be wiffed.... Kitbasher knows how too :thumbsup:

Dizzyfugu

Won a Trumpeter 1:72 Challenger II at ev!lbay - will probably become (OOB) a member of the new Scottish ground forces...  :rolleyes:

zenrat

From Red Roo Models I got a set of transfers - Aussies over the sea (1/72) by CTA decals.
17 (I think) different schemes for RAN Sea Furies, Fireflys, Sea Otter*, Sea Venoms, Sycamores, Wessexes, Gannets, Scooters, Tracker, and Sea King.  Some I have kits for in the stash and may build RW examples but the original idea was to provide markings for my ongoing RAN FAA whiffs.

https://www.redroomodels.com/product/aussies-over-the-seas-1-72/

*Sea Otter scheme and numbers on a Walrus could be a very subtle whiff.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Received today from HPM

half of an order for two sets of Rafael Derby AAM's

Easy to get confused when each set is of 2 missiles and I order 2 sets  :rolleyes:

An email has been sent, we shall see what happens.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

DogfighterZen

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 05, 2021, 01:13:26 AM
Well, stash additions have been few for me this year but i've recently ordered a Wolfpack 1/72 T-45c Goshawk on eBay. Thanks to Dizzy's and Gondor's builds I've finally decided to buy a kit i've had my eye on for quite some time but although i don't have any real plans for it yet, i'm almost 100% certain i won't be chopping it up. ;D

Got home from work to find it on my chair, the Missus received it.  :wub:

Although the kit has its inaccuracies, there are plenty of images to help with the mods needed to turn it into a more accurate representation of the T-45C. The PE fret has nice details and the painting masks are a nice bonus. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Gondor

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 15, 2021, 11:18:17 AM
Well, stash additions have been few for me this year but i've recently ordered a Wolfpack 1/72 T-45c Goshawk on eBay. Thanks to Dizzy's and Gondor's builds I've finally decided to buy a kit i've had my eye on for quite some time but although i don't have any real plans for it yet, i'm almost 100% certain i won't be chopping it up. ;D

Although the kit has its inaccuracies, there are plenty of images to help with the mods needed to turn it into a more accurate representation of the T-45C. The PE fret has nice details and the painting masks are a nice bonus. :thumbsup:

That's just the Italeri kit with a few extra bit's thrown in.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Gondor on June 15, 2021, 11:59:29 AM

Gondor

Yup, i know, Alastair. The wing and horizontal stabs' squared tips should be pretty easy to correct but i know that there's more to it. :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Gondor

Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 15, 2021, 12:12:40 PM

Yup, i know, Alastair. The wing and horizontal stabs' squared tips should be pretty easy to correct but i know that there's more to it. :thumbsup:

There is a link to a build thread in my F/A-45 build where a T-45 instructor describes exactly what the differences are, you may find that useful if your scratch building the differences. I plan on using a combination of that and the Air Graphics conversion/detail set to help me improve what I have been building.

Gondor

DogfighterZen

Quote from: Gondor on June 15, 2021, 12:23:38 PM
Quote from: DogfighterZen on June 15, 2021, 12:12:40 PM

There is a link to a build thread in my F/A-45 build where a T-45 instructor describes exactly what the differences are, you may find that useful if your scratch building the differences. I plan on using a combination of that and the Air Graphics conversion/detail set to help me improve what I have been building.

Gondor

I'll check it out, thanks!  :thumbsup:

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Gondor on June 15, 2021, 11:59:29 AM

Gondor

Do these include the SAC white metal u/c legs?