My stash just grew again 2021

Started by Martin H, January 01, 2021, 01:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Quote from: Nick on July 14, 2021, 08:12:55 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 14, 2021, 07:11:25 AM
Quote from: Weaver on July 14, 2021, 06:58:45 AM
On wheeled AFVs, bear in mind that some of the 6x6 and 8x8 designs have ferociously complicated chassis, drive train and suspension, all of which some model companies lovingly replicate in every detail, and which can make you wish for the simplicity of tracks... (some even do it in 1/72nd!) Worth having a look for a build review before taking the plunge.

Yeah, get a Bundeswehr Luchs 8x8 recce tank in any scale and curse the day you had the idea to build a military vehicle...

*Looks at Revell's 1/72 Boxer and nods furiously in agreement*   :wacko:

I've passed on some lovely looking 1/72 kits due to the sheer parts count, most of it being the chassis and suspension. The detail is also pushing the price up heavily.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Nick

Thanks to a tip-off from Wooksta I found an Airfix Shackleton AEW.2 in The Works at the most reasonable price of £30. It should keep me busy for a while  ;D

AeroplaneDriver

With my birthday coming up in justo ver a week I decided to splurge and treat myself to a big buy from Sprue Brothers.  They currently have the AMK 1/48 Tomcat on sale at a good price so I got two of those along with a Trumpeter A-37B and a big batch of Eduard canopy masking sets.  From the reviews I read the AMK Tomcat seems quite a nice kit, just about equal to, and in some ways even superior to the amazing Tamiya one. 

One of the Tomcats is definitely earmarked to be built as a Whiffed RAF version as would have been if the RAF had got their way back in the 70s. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

nighthunter

Quote from: zenrat on July 15, 2021, 04:34:47 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 15, 2021, 12:06:08 AM
After reading a lot of these recent comments I think I'll stick to aeroplanes  ;D ;)

No seriously gents, thank you, some good advice here  :thumbsup:

Check out 1/48 armour.  A more limited range but they take up less shelf space and all (in my stash anyway) have link & length tracks.

There's also Rubicon's 1/56 scale armor
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Old Wombat

1 x Takom 1/35 SpPz 2 Luchs A1/A2 - RAAC or RAM, not sure which yet
1 x Tamiya 1/35 Citroen Traction 11CV Staff Car - will undergo some minor mod's to become a late-40's/early-50's model & find itself in a Vietnam War diorama as a civilian freelance photographer's vehicle

Re: Indy link tracks & complex drive trains: I'm just focussing on the sense of achievement when I complete these things, without totally stuffing them up. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Nick on July 10, 2021, 11:14:17 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 09, 2021, 05:07:21 PM
Received a box from a friend's step-son with half-a-dozen Nerf pistols. Older designs and not generally available anymore, so that was nice.
Not at all sure what I'll do with them, but free is great and I'll manage to use them for something in due course.  :thumbsup:

Create new additions to the range of Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulators?

"As used on Planetoid 'X'"? A distinct possibility, as one is a disc-firer and has a nice, chunky 'Disintegrator/Blaster'-vibe to it. Though the puny handgrip will need beefing up...

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 15, 2021, 02:42:59 AM
Well, you could turn to biplanes and relish the joys of rigging...  ;D

Once upon a time I could rig biplanes Dizzy, even in 1/72. Now though ?  ;D Even the Wingnut Wings kit I have is a monoplane (Junkers D1) and I'm saving that to pay my nursing home bill when needed  ;) Have you seen the price some places on line want for them ?  :o The Junkers J1 goes for even more stupid prices.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 15, 2021, 04:34:47 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 15, 2021, 12:06:08 AM
After reading a lot of these recent comments I think I'll stick to aeroplanes  ;D ;)

No seriously gents, thank you, some good advice here  :thumbsup:

Check out 1/48 armour.  A more limited range but they take up less shelf space and all (in my stash anyway) have link & length tracks.

Cheers mate
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 16, 2021, 01:26:03 AM

Once upon a time I could rig biplanes Dizzy, even in 1/72. Now though ?  ;D Even the Wingnut Wings kit I have is a monoplane (Junkers D1) and I'm saving that to pay my nursing home bill when needed  ;) Have you seen the price some places on line want for them ?  :o The Junkers J1 goes for even more stupid prices.

They're "collectors' items" now, though. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 15, 2021, 07:40:06 PM

1 x Tamiya 1/35 Citroen Traction 11CV Staff Car - will undergo some minor mod's to become a late-40's/early-50's model & find itself in a Vietnam War diorama as a civilian freelance photographer's vehicle

Pre US involvement ? So a nice looking adventurous French female journalist ?

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 16, 2021, 01:27:57 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 16, 2021, 01:26:03 AM

They're "collectors' items" now, though. ;)

Yup, I'd not realised until I was looking for something on line the other day

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 16, 2021, 01:31:03 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on July 15, 2021, 07:40:06 PM

Pre US involvement ? So a nice looking adventurous French female journalist ?

Australian nurses over there had a traction avant (painted pink IIRC) which they used to drive from the hospital to the beach.  A bloke know plans to build a dio featuring it.  It has been done before but he has an advantage, he has the photos he took of it at the time.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

Quote from: Rick Lowe on July 09, 2021, 05:07:21 PM
Received a box from a friend's step-son with half-a-dozen Nerf pistols. Older designs and not generally available anymore, so that was nice.
Not at all sure what I'll do with them, but free is great and I'll manage to use them for something in due course.  :thumbsup:

Steampunk
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Dizzyfugu

Yup. Spray them (black for Cyberpunk, copper or brass for Steampunk) and them as functional props to cosplayers.  ;)

kitnut617

Well before you go and do that, I'd read this news article. It happened just south of us last year. The latest on it is the cops have been exonerated over the incident.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/lethbridge-police-criticized-for-takedown-of-star-wars-storm-trooper
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike