My stash just grew again 2021

Started by Martin H, January 01, 2021, 01:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

They can be swept back convincingly and work well scalorama'd on a 1/48 heavy fighter/light Bomber sized subject.
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=14352.15
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

Snagged another Airfix Lightning F2A* and a Tamiya Mosquito B.IV on ebay.

*TBH, I'd rather have the F6, as that's got all the bits for both in it.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

TsrJoe

Nabbed a couple more Airfix Phantom FG.1 RN. and Buccaneer S.2 kits, Scott's Models, Glasgow, NELSAM., Sunderland and Dumfries Aircraft Museum :thumbsup:

And a pair of Avis Optica from H  :mellow:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

zenrat

From a very nice man here on the forum I received a 1/35 "portly figure" which will forth basis of a Professor Challenger type character for a diorama.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

zenrat

From Evil-Bay.  All got for the opening bid.

Frog Me410.
Me 410 Hornet by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Hasegawa Frog Me410 A-1 (same mould as the first one).  I didn't want two but bid on both incase I didn't get the first one.
Me410 A-1 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Frog Vigilante (Hasegawa mould). The Vigilante is one of those aircraft which to me just looks "right".  I've been trying to get one of the Hasegawa late 70's/early80's releases when they were doing the cool box art and groovy fonts but no luck so far as they are rare and go for silly money.
North American RA-5C Vigilante by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The Vigilante box is huge.  Hasegawa put them in the same size box they put the 410 in.  Nice box art though and the big box does it justice.
Box sizes compared here.
20210910_174510 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

JayBee

From the big H :

TAKOM 1/72 FV432 Mk2/1, Cheiftain Mk5, double kit.
One for a change of ownership, and the other will be giving up it's gun to another project.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

I've not seen that Hasegawa boxing of the Me 410 before, neat box art  :thumbsup: Always liked the look of the 410, wish someone would bring out a modern tooling in 1/72. Nicest one I can remember building is the Fine Moulds one, but that was eons ago.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Quote from: JayBee on September 10, 2021, 06:13:48 AM
From the big H :

TAKOM 1/72 FV432 Mk2/1, Cheiftain Mk5, double kit.
One for a change of ownership, and the other will be giving up it's gun to another project.

Ooh! A 1/72 FV432!  :wub:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

That FROG Vigi is a dream kit, even though it's yonks old, and yes Fred, I agree 100%, the Vigi just looks 'right'.  :thumbsup:

On my last day on hols in N Wales I rode on the Welsh Highland Railway from Caernarvon to Portmadoch and back, and while at the latter place I just HAD to visit the model shop there! A wondrous place, as the owner stocks all sorts of 'different' kits. It's also the place I got my Mach 2 Seamaster kit from whence came the Martin Monterey of scratchbuilt beaching trolley fame!

There I picked up three 'different' kits, the last one VERY different, but you can blame that on the lady I was with. She spotted it and I just had to have it, to match my forthcoming 'Berlin Brigade' Challenger 2 tank model of course.  ;D

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

No, just three sections of wall, each consisting of 4 parts, so it's not exactly well supplied with parts. Plus the decals as well, but I'm thinking of making some of my own for it.

But maybe if a built section could fall into some silicone rubber...................  ;) ;) ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Quote from: zenrat on September 07, 2021, 04:44:50 AM
From a very nice man here on the forum I received a 1/35 "portly figure" which will forth basis of a Professor Challenger type character for a diorama.

Managed to never have heard of him so went a-googling. If Brian Blessed hasnt played him he should.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: Pellson on September 05, 2021, 12:59:14 AM
Quote from: Weaver on September 04, 2021, 08:55:41 AM
From The Works sale mentioned elsewhere:

Airfix 1/72nd Shackleton AEW.2
Airfix 1/76th Churchill Crocodile

All for a VERY reasonable price. :thumbsup:

Tentative plan for the Churchill is a 'gadget swap' with a Matilda Hedgehog.

Not sure about the Shack. Some off-the-cuff thoughts:

1. Alternative markings. South Africa, Argentina, India, Oman, Belize, Canada and Australia spring to mind, with suitably 'innovative' backstories.

2. Alternative radars. rotordome (Hawkeye), fixed teardrop (Tracer), fore-and-aft (Nimrod) and beam (Saab 340) all seem physically possible. The unlikelihood of some of these being fitted to an operational Shack could be countered by putting it in a trials aircraft scheme, such as raspberry ripple or Fanta can, the backstory being that it was testing the system in advance of the intended platform being available, in much the same way that the FASS system was tested on a Comet before a Nimrod was converted.

3. Alternative role. SLAR carrier over Vietnam (Mohawk). ELINT/SIGINT with lots of aerials for some part of the world with less air threat than the USSR's borders. Launch aircraft for missiles or drones (could be test or operational). Weather recon ('Snoopy' style).

Looking  at my own Shackleton AEW the main concern to me is the wings. Those rounded tips just makes it look ancient, so I'm considering chasing up a second Frog derivation and using the outer wings from that, creating an "AEW.2A" or something. As the MR.3 was reported to fly a lot better than the MR.2, this seems quite natural. I suspect the only reason not to do it in reality was that RAF always though they were going to get a better AEW platform within a year or two, so they never felt it being worthwhile for the short time left.

The MR.3 was way heavier than the MR.2, which meant the engines had to be run at much higher power settings for take-off, hence the addition of Vipers in the outboard nacelles. The higher gross weight meant that the aircraft ran through their fatigue lives much faster, so most of the MR.3s were scrap by the time of the AEW conversions, but the MR.2s still had plenty of hours left on them.

I don't see any reason in principle why you couldn't fit MR.3 tip tanks to an AEW.2, although given how uncomfortable they were, the crew might not thank you for another hour or so on the endurance. Using the tip pods for ESM/ECM might be more useful. Also, IIRC, there are other differences between the MR.2 and MR.3 wings.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

scooter

Quote from: Mossie on September 11, 2021, 01:16:17 PM
Quote from: zenrat on September 07, 2021, 04:44:50 AM

Managed to never have heard of him so went a-googling. If Brian Blessed hasnt played him he should.

I, too, had to google.  And all the deities - old, new, and Elder - he *does* look like Richard IV (or Voltan, without the wings.  Take your pick).
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng