My stash just grew again 2021

Started by Martin H, January 01, 2021, 01:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

That BMP-1 turret for the pickup is fascinating
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 30, 2021, 09:21:22 PM
Quote from: Pellson on November 30, 2021, 05:12:49 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 30, 2021, 04:40:31 AM
It may be ancient, and possibly inaccurate (but who cares, this is WhiffWorld...) but that's quite a nice kit to build. I reviewed it for Scale Models mag back in the 70s, and got a trip to Upper Heyford to watch the first F-111E arrive there as a result.  ;D

The landing gear is meant to retract, but it's VERY fiddly and will surely break after a few attempts, so I'd recommend just gluing it in place, but pretty much everything else goes together very well.

As it's going to be an F-111B(+), no one's ever seen an in service evolved example live, so the kits inaccuracies will be viewed as whif-accurate.  ;)

Regarding landing gear - all my aircraft are build flying, hence gear up. So no worries there. As a matter of fact, I'll most likely glue the stabilators and wings as well.

And right now, I'm looking forward to it, actually. Maybe this is what'll drag me back to the building table after this quite extended hiatus.  :wub:

Tommy Thomason covers the ins-n-outs of the F-111B very well on his blog and in his monograph.
https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/search?q=f-111b

This entry talks about the differences in the nose that would have been seen in a production version,
compared to the prototypes. The Revell kit is of an early prototype configuration.
http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2014/01/production-f-111b-fuselage.html

I started one HERE and I should get back to it and the K I was building at the same time. First i need to make space on the build table.  :rolleyes:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Pellson

It's very, very likely that I won't bother reshaping the nose. I will probably find it a lot easier to just adapt the backstory (Kits 2nd rule). ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

kitnut617

Quote from: Pellson on November 30, 2021, 05:12:49 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 30, 2021, 04:40:31 AM
It may be ancient, and possibly inaccurate (but who cares, this is WhiffWorld...) but that's quite a nice kit to build. I reviewed it for Scale Models mag back in the 70s, and got a trip to Upper Heyford to watch the first F-111E arrive there as a result.  ;D

The landing gear is meant to retract, but it's VERY fiddly and will surely break after a few attempts, so I'd recommend just gluing it in place, but pretty much everything else goes together very well.

As it's going to be an F-111B(+), no one's ever seen an in service evolved example live, so the kits inaccuracies will be viewed as whif-accurate.  ;)

Regarding landing gear - all my aircraft are build flying, hence gear up. So no worries there. As a matter of fact, I'll most likely glue the stabilators and wings as well.

And right now, I'm looking forward to it, actually. Maybe this is what'll drag me back to the building table after this quite extended hiatus.  :wub:

I pick up one of those a few years ago too, just so I can build the 'B' version.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

rickshaw

Ditto.   Perhaps a group build in the future? :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 01, 2021, 06:00:26 AM

I am assuming it is based on a real world example where a turret was removed from a destroyed BMP-1.
Like most Technicals there is no attempt at adding additional armour.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

JayBee

Quote from: Gondor on December 01, 2021, 06:18:11 AM
I need to make space on the build table.  :rolleyes:

Gondor

AH, the perrenial problem! I am suffering from that at the moment. Even 1/144 scale fighters are a problem to fit in.  :unsure:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on December 02, 2021, 02:17:19 AM

I am assuming it is based on a real world example where a turret was removed from a destroyed BMP-1.

Yup, and as for additional armour the guys lower body wouldn't even be protected ? Unless of course the box top illustration is simply showing what you get for your money and not what the actual thing looked like ? As it stands I assume you'd traverse it with your shoulders ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 02, 2021, 06:03:27 AM
Quote from: zenrat on December 02, 2021, 02:17:19 AM

Yup, and as for additional armour the guys lower body wouldn't even be protected ? Unless of course the box top illustration is simply showing what you get for your money and not what the actual thing looked like ? As it stands I assume you'd traverse it with your shoulders although there does seem to be a seat for the gunner ? As you can see the practicalities have got to me a bit  ;)

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Ah that bottom picture (Barcelona crowd control unit  :angel: ? Or could be an old Palace shirt ?  ;)) appears to be the what the kit is based on.

Thanks Mr Wombat, fascinating pics  :thumbsup:

The Wooksta!

A large box from the Isle of Arran arrived earlier today, containing a Saro SR.187.  I'm torn now as to the scheme, as the last one looked really good in overall Aluminium, but I quite like the greys of the 1980s Lightnings.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Wardukw

The land cursier with the BMP1 turret on the box top is the very frist vehicles seen with that set up..ive seen the footage with this very vehicle firing and bloody hell..recoil was fun..that thing moved sideways when it fired and the pics Guy posted are later variants.
Feom the info i could find the BMP which donated its turret was a wreck..no engine or tracks ..abandoned would be the word.
As you guys can imagine finding pics of buggered BMPs still their turrets still attached isnt much of a problem.
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

Nick

Quote from: Wardukw-NZ on December 02, 2021, 04:23:27 PM
The land cursier with the BMP1 turret on the box top is the very frist vehicles seen with that set up..ive seen the footage with this very vehicle firing and bloody hell..recoil was fun..that thing moved sideways when it fired and the pics Guy posted are later variants.
Feom the info i could find the BMP which donated its turret was a wreck..no engine or tracks ..abandoned would be the word.
As you guys can imagine finding pics of buggered BMPs still their turrets still attached isnt much of a problem.

This looks like the big recoil, just wait for the blast! https://www.military.com/video/operations-and-strategy/battles/fsa-mounts-tank-turret-on-truck/2538422613001

The Houthi forces in Yemen have attached a BMP turret to a Humvee
https://www.armyrecognition.com/weapons_defence_industry_military_technology_uk/hybrid_combat_vehicle_humvee_fitted_with_bmp-1_73mm_turret_used_by_houthi_militia_in_yemen.html

Firearm blog has a nice video of a half turret on a technical
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/11/14/fsa-technicals-part-1-bmp-turrets-on-pick-ups/

(Mods - worth moving this stuff into a new thread?)

Old Wombat

Mixed bag ordered from BNA Model World in Melbourne:

1 x Riich Models 1/35 Livestock Set Vol.3 (6 Dogs) (RII-RV35021) - I need some dogs for some dioramas & these look to be pretty reasonable
1 x Aber 1/48 Barrel for 40mm Bofors Anti Aircraft Gun (AB 48L-30) - This one, plus another, when they're back in stock, are for an interesting aircraft build
1 x Tamiya Models 1/48 Brewster B-339 Buffalo - "Pacific Theatre" (TM 61094) - Will (probably) be one of my OoB builds in either RAF or RNZAF markings
1 x Dream Model 1/48 Remove Before Flight Flag (DRE-CDM48014) - For modern aircraft builds
1 x Hobby Boss Models 1/48 Antonov AN-2M Colt (HB 81707) - Always wanted an AN-2 kit, now I'm getting one
1 x Airfix Models 1/48 North American Mustang Mk.IV (AX05137) - OoB build in RAAF 3Sqn markings
1 x Special Hobby 1/48 North-American F-86K Sabre Dog "Armee de l'Air & Bundesluftwaffe" (SH48126) - Always liked the F-86, especially the Dogs, may do it as a RAAF whif
1 x A&A Models 1/72 Lavochkin La-200B All-weather Interceptor Prototype (AAM7205) - To be Frankenkitted with the F-86F below
1 x Italeri Models 1/72 North American F-86F Sabre "MiG Killer" (IT1426) - To be Frankenkitted with the La-200B above
2 x Perfect Scale Modellbau 1/35 Bundeswehr Chain Locks (PSM-A1016) - 1/35 padlocks are difficult to find & harder to make
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est