Australian Matilda Bunker Buster - Done !

Started by buzzbomb, January 01, 2021, 09:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

I notice the Matildas in the photo don't (yet) have the cast-iron brush guards in front of the idler wheel.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe

buzzbomb

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 21, 2021, 04:31:23 PMI notice the Matildas in the photo don't (yet) have the cast-iron brush guards in front of the idler wheel.
True enough for that shot, a later mod, once they experienced that the Japanese AT guns, while ineffective against the tank, started targeting the Front Idlers and turret ring.
But the do look chunky and cool, which is why I am fitting them ;D

And we're back. A few tweaks and fit the aussiefication gear.

added most of the Firestorm conversion, plus left over tracks as fitted applique armour

This how I figure the Dustbin Bombs can be loaded.
The Turret traversed to a set point at about 2 o'clock. The loader puts a bomb into a vertical loading tube, once the barrel is moved to its open position, the top lid rotates around and the
round is lifted up using some sort of clever mechanism. The round locks in, hatch shuts and the barrel is then returned to the locked position and back in business. ;)

Marsden Mat/PSP that was fitted commonly on Aussie Matilda's as an Anti Grenade/mine measure. Also changed the wireless Antenna to a more appropriate version.

Another General more above shot

A couple of small tweaks to go and then ready to paint.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: buzzbomb on January 23, 2021, 03:30:36 AM

The Turret traversed to a set point at about 2 o'clock. The loader puts a bomb into a vertical loading tube, once the barrel is moved to its open position, the top lid rotates around and the
round is lifted up using some sort of clever mechanism. The round locks in, hatch shuts and the barrel is then returned to the locked position and back in business. ;)

You really can't beat a 'clever mechanism', can you?  ;D :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 23, 2021, 04:13:10 AM
Quote from: buzzbomb on January 23, 2021, 03:30:36 AM

You really can't beat a 'clever mechanism', can you?  ;D :thumbsup:

Perhaps it was simply based on that other classic standby "Brute Strength" ?  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Steel Penguin

looking very good there,  the Matilda always looked more brutish than its size should have, and you made it even more imposing  :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

NARSES2

Quote from: Steel Penguin on January 23, 2021, 06:29:49 AM
looking very good there,  the Matilda always looked more brutish than its size should have, and you made it even more imposing  :thumbsup:

I've always found the Matilda Mk II a quite attractive tank in a brutish way.

zenrat

Do you know if anyone does the Aussification parts in 1/48?  I can find nothing.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

buzzbomb

Quote from: zenrat on January 25, 2021, 03:43:52 AMDo you know if anyone does the Aussification parts in 1/48?  I can find nothing.
Fred, not really sure, I have seen a 1/72 set mentioned. A bit strange really because the 1/48 Tamiya Matilda would be very nice I would think

Soooo..

Can nail this one shut now.
Fairly generic Australian Matilda markings from an Echelon set. Firestorm Australian Crew

Have to bust out something else now

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Dizzyfugu

That came out nicely, and I like the specific Australian details, markings an conversions on it. Well done!   :thumbsup:

BTW, I am interested in the 1:72 Aussification set, because I am considering a late-war whiffy Matilda II from the PTO. Any link to share for details?  :rolleyes:

PR19_Kit

That looks really real, if you know what I mean.  :thumbsup:

What are the big perforated plates on the rear of the tank for?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

That's come out really nicely  :thumbsup:

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 30, 2021, 04:48:28 AM

What are the big perforated plates on the rear of the tank for?

Anti, anti-tank grenade/mine measures