First Of 2021-Real World Seafire

Started by AeroplaneDriver, January 05, 2021, 11:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Starting the year off with a RW build.  Airfix 1/48 Seafire FR.46/47

I did this in 57 hours for a New Years Weekend GB on a Facebook Forum.  Unfortunately I got distracted binge watching a Netflix show about people surviving alone in the Arctic so I missed the deadline, but still happy with it for a quick build.  A fun kit to be sure, but compared to the latest Airfix offerings it shows its age even at a young (by Airfix standards) 24. 

Two more in The Stash and it's seems to be screaming for USN Blue...

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Scotaidh

Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

kitbasher

Lovely  :thumbsup:

Interesting comment about the kit.  I've always thought of the 1/48 Spit 22/24 and Seafire 46/47 as the pinnacle of Airfix kits.  OK internally not as detailed aa current products but spot on in terms of outline with really delicate detailing.  But that's just my opinion.

Haven't seen the 1/48 Spit XIV parts other than a test shot at Telford 2019 and was struck by their similarity to the earlier late-mark Spitfire/Seafire kits.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: kitbasher on January 05, 2021, 12:44:29 PM
Lovely  :thumbsup:

Interesting comment about the kit.  I've always thought of the 1/48 Spit 22/24 and Seafire 46/47 as the pinnacle of Airfix kits.  OK internally not as detailed aa current products but spot on in terms of outline with really delicate detailing.  But that's just my opinion.

Haven't seen the 1/48 Spit XIV parts other than a test shot at Telford 2019 and was struck by their similarity to the earlier late-mark Spitfire/Seafire kits.

Dont get me wrong. It's a lovely kit. Shape and detail look great to me but it was not without faults.  A good amount of flash (this was a recent red box issue so maybe the mold is showing it's age), clear parts were very "pebbly", errors in instructions, a couple of minor fit issues. Nothing huge, just shows a generation of difference when built immediately after their new P-40B. Like I said, I have several more in the stash and I'd like to do a USN Whif. Maybe I'll use one of the original 90s boxings I have to see how the earlier production kit compares.   Still a very enjoyable build though. 

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Dizzyfugu

That's looking very good.  :thumbsup:

Just some RAN 'roos and it would be a nice whif...  :rolleyes:

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 05, 2021, 11:47:09 PM
That's looking very good.  :thumbsup:

Just some RAN 'roos and it would be a nice whif...  :rolleyes:

You're not wrong there...

kitbasher

Thanks for more regarding the Airfix Spit/Seafire kits.  I must admit my view is based on having once owned one of first-run 1/48 Spit 22/24s (won it in a raffle, sold it on after a few years as I build 1/72).
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Hotte

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

63cpe