Nakajima Kikka, August 1945

Started by nönöbär, January 10, 2021, 05:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

Nakajima Kikka, August 1945

Something I wanted to build for a while. Technically speaking not a What-If, as at least one was build and even flown once: The Nakajima Kikka.

More or less a little cousin of the Me-262. Although it looks a lot like the German plane, the Kikka is quite different. Smaller, with much less powerful engines. The Ne-20 only had 4,6kN of thrust, compared to the 7,8 of the BMW 003 or 8,7 of the Jumo 004.

For the construction of the plane and engines, the Japanese had only photos and plans of the engines. On August 7, 1945 the Kikka made its first and only flight of 20 Minutes.

The model is a MPM short-run 1/72 kit with additional resin and PE parts. Was quite good to build, I had much worse short-run models before. Build OOB and painted with Revel Aqua Color.

Together with a Luftwaffe Me 262

Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

Old Wombat

Nicely done, nönöbär! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good to see a comparison between the Kikka & the Schwalbe, too. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Just need to build a Meteor F1 now and you've got the full set.

Plus maybe an P-59 Airacomet as well............  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on January 10, 2021, 05:06:11 AM

Good to see a comparison between the Kikka & the Schwalbe, too. :thumbsup:

Very much so  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

compact wee thing isn't she. I dare say they would have been quite a lethal adversary if developed further. Very nice build too :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Tophe

Quote from: nönöbär on January 10, 2021, 05:03:28 AM
Together with a Luftwaffe Me 262
It is very nice to see them together, thanks! :thumbsup:
Will you add someday the Soviet equivalent? (Su-9 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-9_(1946) ) ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Nice! I have an AZ Models two-seater staring at me from The Stash™, to be converted into an IJN homelabd defense night fighter with a suitable antenna array some day (soon).  :rolleyes:

nönöbär

Quote from: Tophe on January 10, 2021, 10:48:15 AM
It is very nice to see them together, thanks! :thumbsup:
Will you add someday the Soviet equivalent? (Su-9 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-9_(1946) ) ;)

I would like to make a Su-9 (which is confusing as there are two planes with this name, of course I am talking about the one with a similar layout as the Me262 form 1946), but so far I have noound any kit of it. Does osmeone know one?

--------------------

Dizzyfugu

IIRC MPM did an IP kit of the first Su-9, and I think there's at teast one vacu kit around.

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

TomZ

Here's is my set of three. (all 1/72)

Me-262: Academy, Injected
Su-9: VP Canada, Vacuform
Kikka: Eagles Talon, vacuform

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

PR19_Kit

Cor, the Sukhoi's a biggun, isn't it?  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

nönöbär

Thx for the info abotu the Su-9 kit. Saw before that there is the vacu kit (never build one), but have not seen it so far.

@TomZ: Nice, this is something i had in mind as well. Intersting to see the differences bewteen those planes, even if they seem to be "identical" if you see them allone.

--------------------

TomZ

Quote from: nönöbär on January 13, 2021, 10:49:22 PM
@TomZ: Nice, this is something i had in mind as well. Intersting to see the differences bewteen those planes, even if they seem to be "identical" if you see them allone.

I Also have these three, but in 1/144:

From left to right: Kikka, Ki-201, Me-262

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency