RCN Islander

Started by Captain Canada, January 10, 2021, 05:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

I'm a Newfoundlander born and bred and I'll be one 'til I die
I'm proud to be an Islander and here's the reason why

I mean the Britten Norman version not the popular Newfoundland shanty ;-)

Not sure when I started this one. Been kicking around half built forever. I think my original idea was to add a radar nose etc., but she's just so small and dainty I really didn't see the point. So then my idea changed, to build her OOB with a simple story.

The Islander was in service with the Royal Canadian Navy as a hack. Plans were afoot to convert them to turbine power, but arguments were raised about the availability of fuel in the small outposts of both coasts. One of the jobs of the Islander was to land on unprepared strips, wave the flag, and take lucky youth of the RCN Sea Cadet program up for flights. It was huge incentive for kids to join the Sea Cadets in the hopes of a 'quick flip' in the air. Also, during Navy Days in St. Johns, Cadets were flown in for their weekend camps.

9081CF64-F260-4778-B130-C82BAE00C955 by Todd Pomerleau, on Flickr

FEA54B92-4D07-4A7C-BF7F-37175510BBCC by Todd Pomerleau, on Flickr
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Flyer

"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

McColm

Tophe

Quote from: Captain Canada on January 10, 2021, 05:26:07 PM
my original idea was to add a radar nose etc., but she's just so small and dainty I really didn't see the point. So then my idea changed, to build her OOB
Poor Captain, badly forced to build without what-if thrill... :unsure: :-\
I am helping to improve this: the RCN Singlander was a single-engined asymmetric plane from Imagination Airport:  <_< ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

That's nice - very simple, but it's looking very convincing. Nice Twin Otter alternative.  :thumbsup:

AeroplaneDriver

Simple and wonderful.  :wub: :thumbsup:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

chrisonord

Very nice Todd,  and the sea cadets there certainly get spoiled don't they ;D :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Captain Canada

Quote from: Tophe on January 10, 2021, 10:29:53 PM

Poor Captain, badly forced to build without what-if thrill... :unsure: :-\

That's why I love you Tophe ! Cheers my friend. And your version looks terrific !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Captain Canada

Cheers guys. Thanks for the input. For sure a simple build, but it's a start and hopefully I can keep going !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Dizzyfugu

An addendum, just to avoid misunderstandings: "Simple" was not meant to devaluate the model or the build - I meant the simple livery, which makes the RCN Islander IMHO so convincing.  :thumbsup:

The Rat

Nice job. Anyone who has seen one up close will tell you that those rivets might be a bit underscale.  ;D ;D ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Glenn Gilbertson

Mossie

Must be a Canadian thing, attracted to rivets!

Nice little machine the Islander, good job.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Very good Todd ---- but for a Canadian aircraft, it seems to be missing something -----   ;D

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike