Piaggio-Pegona P.c.7 bis

Started by PR19_Kit, January 11, 2021, 02:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Delete the Cirrus (135 horsepower) engine and substitute  de Havilland Gypsy Six (200 horses) or even a Gypsy Queen 50 , which was available in 1944 (295 horses)   perhaps.     That is, of course, if the wing spars could be unobtainium reinforced.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Or a couple of Pythons if you're REALLY serious.  ;D

Hmm, how many FROG Wyvern kits have I got?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 14, 2021, 09:22:09 AM
Or a couple of Pythons if you're REALLY serious.  ;D

Hmm, how many FROG Wyvern kits have I got?  ;)

Two Pythons ;  that's over  8000 horse power.  We are just trying to keep up with the carrier, not keep up with the air wing!!  I suppose it means commonality with the Wyverns.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

jcf

Quote from: chrisonord on January 13, 2021, 03:12:41 PM
... I  wonder if  a progressed version would  have military  applications.

Nope, far too specialized and designed for a single purpose, plus it's doubtful any service
would want to deal with the complexity.

PR19_Kit

Quite a complex masking job on the P.c.7 today so that I could paint the glorious looking copper cooling panels so beloved by the Italian racing seaplane guys. The P.c.7 has them on BOTH sides of the wings and on the lower part of the forward fuselage, and masking that lot wasn't easy. I haven't done the underside of the wings yet as it was far too complex as it was, but it looks great now.

Well, I think it does anyway.  ;D

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

perttime

Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 13, 2021, 03:35:56 AM... then the forward clutch could be engaged and the air prop started up. The air prop was always stopped in the horizontal position so it was clear of the water.

At least that was the theory, ...
You just need a pilot with enough hands/feet to operate the clutches in addition to the conventional controls ;) :D

PR19_Kit

Quote from: perttime on January 14, 2021, 08:26:52 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on January 13, 2021, 03:35:56 AM... then the forward clutch could be engaged and the air prop started up. The air prop was always stopped in the horizontal position so it was clear of the water.

At least that was the theory, ...

You just need a pilot with enough hands/feet to operate the clutches in addition to the conventional controls ;) :D

I found this on the Net, which shows an amazing lever arrangement to do just that. But how the pilot was supposed to fly (or steer...) the thing at the same time goodness knows.  :o

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Radiator panels are looking good Kit  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

The main lever not only disconnected the water-propeller while connecting the air-propeller, it
also feathered the water-propeller at the same time. The second lever unlocked the gearbox
of the air-propeller.

According to Ralph Pegram's Schneider Trophy book, along with the problems of the clutch of
the water-propeller slipping due to filling up with oil, the bigger problem was that the aircraft
couldn't get the nose high enough out of the water to engage the air-propeller because of the
hydrofoils diving due to water pressure as the speed increased. Even worse was that if the foil
lift was lost asymmetrically the aircraft would roll the wing on that side down into the water.

It was an interesting notion, but realistically speaking it would have required a lot of time and
₤₤₤ to make it workable.

PR19_Kit

And despite all that, it still looks the BUSINESS!  ;D ;)

Regards
Kit

jcf

As the saying goes "If it looks right, it'll fly right", which is based on the machine in question
actually getting into the air.
:wacko: :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

That's all the paint work on the P.c.7 done now, bar the windcsreen frames. The windscreen itself is SO small I'm not sure I've got a small enough brush to do that job, I think it's the tiniest 1/72 screen I've ever seen!

Decals this afternoon with luck, and then it's done.

Well, for the non-Whiffed part anyway......  ;)

Regards
Kit

Scotaidh

I use a fine-tip Sharpie for all my framing ...
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

As far as the RW version of the P.c.7 is concerned, this one's done and dusted now.  ;D

The decals are positively MINUTE, to go with the rest of the model of course, and as with the sprues, there are two TINY white decals, that aren't mentioned on the instruction sheet at all, so they're not on it.

I can't see what they are anyway and they don't appear on the very few pics of the real thing that exist.

I'm still waiting for an item to arrive in the post before I can start the Whiffing part of the build...........  ;)

Regards
Kit

perttime