RAAF FB-14C

Started by Supertom, January 12, 2021, 10:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Supertom

Well, I haven't been whatiffing for a while. I think I'm at a point where I can finally be back in the right mental state to do this. I haven't been creative enough to do this for a while, and the recent move and other events have help get me back in the right track. I'm going to ease myself back in by doing one of my tamer ideas. FB-14C. What if the F-111 never made it to production, and Grumman had developed the F-14's A2G capabilities further? Australia might have bought it. This will be a simple conversion, with a few cockpit modifications for the WSO, some attempts to add GBU-15s and maybe scratchbuild a Pave Tack pod.

I'd like to use this paint scheme:

I've made some progress with the older Academy 1/72 kit. I've put the aft fuselage together:

Since it was determined that the wing glove canards weren't very useful, the RAAF requested removing the mechanism entirely, with a new wing glove assembly that saved weight. The Grumman factory erm I mean, I glued the canards in the open state, closed up the fuselage, then sawed the canards off.

I may have been too enthusiastic with the saw:

Fortunately, it wasn't a deep cut, so I was able to rescue it with copious amounts of Mr Dissolved Putty. I needed to clean up the seam from the canards anyway.

While that was curing, I went ahead and did the cockpit. The rear cockpit had the Rockwell Autonetics bombing computer that would go in the F-111D, and a rubber boot for the bombsight screen. I'll add little control sticks for it later.

Well that's it for now. I'm waiting on the white primer to dry on the intakes, and the matte coat to go on the cockpit.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

kerick

This sounds great! The ultimate Bombcat!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PolluxDeltaSeven

I can't wait to see the result !
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

sandiego89

Welcome back Supertom!  Glad the mojo is back, and the F-14 is always a welcome subject!!

-Dave
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Supertom

Thanks guys. I'll need you guys to keep egging me on, as the whiffing mojo is only just starting back up. I find it harder to whiff than build regularly, so I appreciate your enthusiasm and support as it encourages me to keep plugging at it.

Anyway, cockpit is done - kinda. I tend to add the flight sticks and ejection seat towards the end, right before I close up the canopy, since an empty cockpit makes it easier to clean any debris out. Both panels are in. I accidentally switched out the console decals (front on the back, back on the front) which initially made me wonder why they didn't quite fit. Anyway As you can see, the boot/shroud over the bombing computer display is on, and the little joysticks have been mounted on the side. This will go into the forward fuselage next, and be mated to the rear fuselage. It definitely looks nicer when it's not zoomed in at the macro level!

Pellson

Brilliant idea. Why didn't I get there first.. ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

AeroplaneDriver

I'm gonna like this a lot!!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Cool. Makes me wonder about an F-14 with a side-by-side cockpit...  :rolleyes:

comrade harps

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 13, 2021, 12:32:50 AM

You have to make it before the next Wonder Woman film!
Whatever.

NARSES2

Great to have you back at the bench Tom  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

Good to be stationed at The Top End if relations with Indonesia sour.  Keep it coming Tom.   :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

scooter

Quote from: comrade harps on January 13, 2021, 02:10:16 AM
Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 13, 2021, 12:32:50 AM

You have to make it before the next Wonder Woman film!

Scale rope and stanchions with a placard "Wonder Woman's Invisible Plane"
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Supertom

Quote from: Pellson on January 12, 2021, 03:09:17 PM
Brilliant idea. Why didn't I get there first.. ;)

Totally do it!