RAAF FB-14C

Started by Supertom, January 12, 2021, 10:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

I have in my possession the Pave Track parts from a Hasegawa F-111 kit. It would need work to make it a complete unit as it was partially submerged into the bomb bay on the F-111 but it would save some work on the seeker/targeting head and body shape. It's yours of you want it. I can also supply some GBU-15's as well, would four be enough?

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Supertom

Well, that's not good.

"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Supertom

Quote from: Gondor on January 13, 2021, 02:44:09 PM
I have in my possession the Pave Track parts from a Hasegawa F-111 kit. It would need work to make it a complete unit as it was partially submerged into the bomb bay on the F-111 but it would save some work on the seeker/targeting head and body shape. It's yours of you want it. I can also supply some GBU-15's as well, would four be enough?

Gondor

Lemme mull this over. It might wind up being more work to convert the F-111 piece  than to build a new one. However, if you could get me the measurements of the pod, diameter, along with the sensor pod and the casing, that would be of immense help. Thanks for the offer!

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Pellson

Quote from: Supertom on January 13, 2021, 04:20:39 PM
Quote from: Gondor on January 13, 2021, 02:44:09 PM

Gondor

Lemme mull this over. It might wind up being more work to convert the F-111 piece  than to build a new one. However, if you could get me the measurements of the pod, diameter, along with the sensor pod and the casing, that would be of immense help. Thanks for the offer!

As the F-14:s Phoenix missile pylons are quit substantial, couldn't a possible solution be an extended pylon with the Pave Tack half protruding, much like on the F-111? Just throwing ideas here..
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Supertom

Quote from: Pellson on January 14, 2021, 07:23:53 AM

As the F-14:s Phoenix missile pylons are quit substantial, couldn't a possible solution be an extended pylon with the Pave Tack half protruding, much like on the F-111? Just throwing ideas here..

It was considered. An alternate would be to dispense with the Pave Tack and have a Pave Spike pod in one of the Sparrow recesses. That would free up the centerline for a CFT in the tunnel.

scooter

Quote from: Supertom on January 14, 2021, 11:44:36 AM
Quote from: Pellson on January 14, 2021, 07:23:53 AM

It was considered. An alternate would be to dispense with the Pave Tack and have a Pave Spike pod in one of the Sparrow recesses. That would free up the centerline for a CFT in the tunnel.

I would say go for Pave Spike.  Apparently F-4 pilots used to call the Pave Tack "Pave Drag".
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Supertom

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Cockpit is done and ready to button up. In hindsight, the little control sticks for the WSO are so small that it's hardly visible, I probably shouldn't have bothered  ;D

Also, it's been days, and I just noticed the instrument panel decals were out of register. Eh. Can't see much once it's closed up anyway.

My least favorite task, masking, is now complete and we are ready for the paint shop.

Old Wombat

I don't dislike masking, so much as I figure that, no matter how much effort I put into it, there'll always be seepage! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Supertom

Did some color testing. Looks good, though I really do like that blueish tint to all the greys in the illustration. I've ordered some extra paints, so I'll start working on the side bits until that comes in.

Supertom

Well, that was even worse. Wolf Grey is way too light.

DogfighterZen

Although it isn't what you're looking for, i think those would also look good, a bit like Russian winter camo colors. For the color you're after, maybe Tamiya's XF-66 would do the trick?
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Supertom

Unfortunately, Russian winter camo was exactly what I was trying to avoid. Tamiya's XF-26 is the right idea, but too dark, and I don't like mixing paints. I'll have to play around with it. If I have to mix, so be it.

kerick

On the RW Bombcat there was a LANTERN pod on the right wing pylon. Might look good that way.
I'll see if I can find the pic I saw.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise