Twin boomers after 1946

Started by McColm, January 22, 2021, 01:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

I have to admit that I have tried kitbashing my own twin boom-twin finned aircraft. This was based around the 1/72 Hasegawa Lockheed Neptune and used the twin boom from the Italeri C-119 Boxcar kit. It did have four turboprop engines , one on each wing,  one in the nose and one in the rear. This then changed when I added the Falcon Triple vacform AP-2H conversion set. It lost the rear engine. The nose wheel leg came from the Freightdog extended F-4 Phantom as well as applying one at the rear to avoid a tail sitter.
A photo of this build might be in my blog page or on my Facebook page,  just search under: Steven James McColm,  uploaded photos.
I came close to building a twin-boom Avro Shackleton MR.3,  again using the C-119 parts but I added a pair of floats and never got finished.
Another attempt was using a 1/72 Lockheed C-130 and the remaining parts from the Mach2 A.W. Argosy,  as I had used another pair of C-119 twin booms and the wings from the same kit. I got stuck by trying to add the Argosy rear loading ramp to the fuselage of the C-130. I think in hindsight the best solution is to remove the vertical tail and tail fins from the C-130, then just add the wings and boom from the Argosy. The turboprop engines can be added separately.
The twin boom arrangement makes it ideal for a large transport aircraft to be whiffed plus other real world aircraft. I think the Vixen was the last jet fighter to use this layout,  but that hasn't stopped me from trying it out on the Airfix Buccaneer. This didn't work out.
There's plenty of scope for the whiffer to apply their skills both in piston and jet builds.

Tophe

I clap my hands about such projects! :wub:
About jet-fighters with a twin-boom layout, it depends on your definition of twin-boom. I know several projects/prototypes mainly in UK and USSR/Russia, I could search if you want. ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

Quote from: McColm on January 22, 2021, 01:44:34 PM
A photo of this build might be in my blog page or on my Facebook page,  just search under: Steven James McColm,  uploaded photos.
I found this:

Great! :thumbsup:

McColm

Quote from: Tophe on January 22, 2021, 11:09:52 PM
I found this:

Great! :thumbsup:
Wow!
Closer inspection reveals the radome from the Avro Shackleton AEW.2,  ESM wingtip pods are from the Airfix BAe Nimrod MR.2P,  hose and drogue inflight refuelling pods under the wings.  The turboprop engines are from the Dakota  turboprop conversion set and the propellers are from the Italeri Lockheed C-130J kit. Nose engine is off the Fairey Gannet,  along with the finlets . I think that the main landing gear is a white metal kit as well , although it's not the Neptune landing gear.
I love the paint scheme , sort of private company hired out by the government  to do surveillance work.

Tophe

What a mix! Excellent! :thumbsup:
Is this model (of 5 years ago) staying unfinished waiting for the will (to complete it) in some future? Or is it destroyed or thrown away, alas? :unsure:

McColm

Quote from: Tophe on January 23, 2021, 09:24:39 PM
What a mix! Excellent! :thumbsup:
Is this model (of 5 years ago) staying unfinished waiting for the will (to complete it) in some future? Or is it destroyed or thrown away, alas? :unsure:
I don't have it anymore,  I sold it for £50 to a former roommate.  It's on my growing list of 'future rebuilds'.

Tophe

Tophe

On P-82 basis (mother of C-119), drawing not model, I tried your way of 3 and 4 engines:  <_<

McColm

There's an interesting photoshop of a B-17 flying fortress with P-38 engines and tail boom on Facebook.
For the larger Whiffs it's the C-119, Nord or Argosy,  I will include the Yak-141/41 Freestyle which I am hoping to build a two seater version .

Tophe

Quote from: McColm on January 25, 2021, 09:35:23 AM
There's an interesting photoshop of a B-17 flying fortress with P-38 engines and tail boom on Facebook.
It was posted here at https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=37210.2385 but the picture does not appear today (on my computer), I can show a derivative, asymmetric, that I made. <_<

If it does not appear either, the link is: :-\
http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/B-17_P-38-twin.jpg

McColm

Quote from: Tophe on January 25, 2021, 10:01:14 AM
Quote from: McColm on January 25, 2021, 09:35:23 AM
It was posted here at https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=37210.2385 but the picture does not appear today (on my computer), I can show a derivative, asymmetric, that I made. <_<

If it does not appear either, the link is: :-\
http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/B-17_P-38-twin.jpg
That's the one,  the bottom one.  I might need a couple of 1/48 P-38s for that build.
Thanks Tophe

Tophe

Another attempt was using a 1/72 Lockheed C-130 and the remaining parts from the Mach2 A.W. Argosy,  as I had used another pair of C-119 twin booms and the wings from the same kit. I got stuck by trying to add the Argosy rear loading ramp to the fuselage of the C-130. I think in hindsight the best solution is to remove the vertical tail and tail fins from the C-130, then just add the wings and boom from the Argosy.
I have tried to mix P-82 and C-130 differently, in a triplex-boom way...  <_<

McColm

Quote from: Tophe on January 26, 2021, 11:10:39 AM
Another attempt was using a 1/72 Lockheed C-130 and the remaining parts from the Mach2 A.W. Argosy,  as I had used another pair of C-119 twin booms and the wings from the same kit. I got stuck by trying to add the Argosy rear loading ramp to the fuselage of the C-130. I think in hindsight the best solution is to remove the vertical tail and tail fins from the C-130, then just add the wings and boom from the Argosy.
I have tried to mix P-82 and C-130 differently, in a triplex-boom way...  <_<

That could work,  I would lose the vertical tail fin of the C-130 :thumbsup: l think you mean the C-82 as the P-82 is the twin Mustang.

McColm

Then there's the Bronco and the M-55, there are a few concept small passenger aircraft. Then we have the Russians with their Ocean Class jet flying boats and Ekranoplans. There's some interesting agricultural Russian aircraft as well.