SR.N8 - FINISHED

Started by TomZ, January 24, 2021, 09:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Looks like a 'normal' length Mk I or Mk II from the proportions, but it's a lot wider of course.

Yes, those skirts a pain to build, not helped by Airfix's 'Let's make it out of many parts as possible!' philosophy. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Have we previously discussed the possibilities of a Caledonian-Mac Brayne  Scottish island hovercraft service?   and if so, did anyone manage to source an appropriate tin of Humbrol tartan paint in the correct shade(s) to paint the skirt/kilt?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

We did, yes, but Humbrol have long deleted the tartan paints from their listings. Spoilsports.  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Never travelled on one but when I was a student in Portsmouth in the late 80's/early 90's I used to occasionally go down and watch them "landing".  Very impressive in rough weather as they launched it off the top of a wave onto the concrete ramp.  Wouldn't have wanted to be inside.

I never thought to take any photos.  No camera phones then of course.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I crossed the Channel on/in one once. Didn't like it at all, very uncomfortable and I'm a good sailor. Much preferred propping the bar up on a ferry  ;) :cheers:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

AndrewF

I took the hovercraft a couple of times to and from France - I moved here in June 2000, but I went a few times before that. I took the car each time. It was impressive driving into the thing... I remember once the Channel was calm enough to actually walk/stagger around in the cabin to get some coffee. But as others have mentioned, not much of a view during the crossing. The best unusual voyage I did was one of those ex-Soviet Meteor hydrofoils from Yugoslavia to Venice, across the Adriatic, in the 80s. It was spectacular - we started off slow until we were out of the harbour, then they just opened up the engines and we were flying across the sea at God knows what speed; the whole boat was surrounded by hundreds of tiny rainbows from the sunlight refracting through the spray. It was really beautiful, and actually a smooth ride.

PR19_Kit

Not a hovercraft, but a high speed sea vessel....

I went to Ostend and back once aboard the P&O Boeing Jetfoil, sailing from Tower Pier in the middle of London! I thought it would cruise down River to Southend or somewhere while hull borne and then lift up on the foils, but not a bit of it! They lifted off about 200 yards downstream of Tower Bridge and we 'flew' down the Thames at about 25 or 30 knots some 6-8 feet off the water!  :o

It was very interesting to me as it leant into the turns, in a similar fashion to the APT-E train that I worked on, and at about the same angle too, 9-10 degrees. I tried to talk to someone about the system but either they didn't know anything, or didn't want to engage in anything too techie.  ;D

P&O gave it up after a very short while though, and that Jetfoil is in Macau now I think.

Regards
Kit

Rheged

The navy tried the Jetfoil, and I believe found it a "fragile" piece of kit that needed lots of maintenance and fairly restrictive operating conditions. 
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Hobbes

My first UK vacation was too late to do a hovercraft crossing. I did use the hoverport terminal: the high-speed ferries (catamaran/waterjet, 40 kts/70 km/h IIRC) left from that part of the harbour.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on February 15, 2021, 10:32:38 AM

The navy tried the Jetfoil, and I believe found it a "fragile" piece of kit that needed lots of maintenance and fairly restrictive operating conditions.

That was HMS Speedy, and she too is now sailing around Macau.  :-\

Regards
Kit

McColm

Just out of curiosity are jetfoils easy to whiff/build from a donor kit?

PR19_Kit

Maybe.................

The only kit I know of a Hydrofoil is the very ancient 1:84 scale Aurora USN Tucumcari, one of which I had umpteen years ago. That has a similar foil arrangement to a Boeing Jetfoil, ie a single strutted leading foil, and twin aft side foils, all of which hinge up and down in the kit IIRC. But the superstructure of a Jetfoil is much more 'boxy' than the Tucumcari, which looks more like a warship of course.

Looking on Scalemates shows up many more foils, but they're all in MUCH smaller scales.

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

The foils themselves are easy enough to scratchbuild: use some plastic sheet stock, cut to size and sand/file a wing profile into it. Then you have to modify the propshaft.

PR19_Kit

Or take it out completely.

Both the Tucumcari and the Jetfoil used water jets for propulsion.

I just found out that the Tucumcari used a Bristol Proteus as its main engine.  :o

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

IIRC, Hobby Boss has recently released a series of (rather pricey) 1:200 scale modern hydrofoil patrol boats.