Yet another MB5/6/7 whatever......

Started by PR19_Kit, February 01, 2021, 03:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Oh blast, I've got this in the wrong place, sorry.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Chris, could you please move the whole thread to 'Current and Finished Builds' please?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I'll move it now Kit - Done

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

This looks a complete mess I know, but it's actually the bare bones of what I want to do with it. Lots of PSR and stuff to do yet, but it's the correct shape to my mind.

The canopy base is a VERY sawn down M'box Meteor NF14 item, and will accept the NF14 canopy and windscreen with a little bit of trimming to suit the changed angle. The fairing right at the rear is a sawn down chunk of another MB6 fuselage, and the rest is plain styrene strips cut and glued to suit.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Now the umpteen PSR sessions have taken place, and the tailplanes added, and the canopy taped in position, you can see what it'll look like eventually.

You'll have to imagine the Sky/EDSG scheme for now, but it'll be along soon.  ;D

Oh yes, I added the dorsal fin as it seemed a good idea at the time, to balance the radar pod perhaps?

Yes, it does look a bit bulky, but the FAA liked their aeroplane big, viz the Firebrand, Wyvern, Gannet etc.  ;)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The Sea Monsoon's got its canopy glued in place, and it's masked up now too. Plus the wings are glued on, and they worked surprisingly well. I was expecting some problems with their butt joints, but it worked a treat. Both sides needed some PSR of course, and you can see the second session still unsanded in the pic.

I bought some Master turned brass 20 mm cannon to replace the plastic ones in the kit, little realising what I'd got...........

Each gun has FOUR parts, and most of them are only just about visible.  :o

Should be an interesting afternoon putting THAT lot together.............

Regards
Kit

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I needed my magnifying headset to make those blasted cannon too! Just getting the umpteen parts out of the packet was difficult enough.  :banghead:

Assembling them took a headache inducing few hours as well, and I had to take a break in the middle as my eyes were all going skew whiff. And the recoil spring of one of the guns didn't have a hole large enough to assemble to the rest of it, so two guns have springs and two don't.

You'll have to ask Martin Baker and Hispano why that was the case.....

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Weren't all cannon by late war enclosed in fairings?  Appears you have a left over set from an early Hurricane set there, mate.  Just leave the springs off all of them, is what I'd recommend to make them all match. :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

The set was intended for later Fireflies apparently, and there were 3-4 different versions!  :o For some reason they took the fairings off the Fireflies' guns at some stage, but it's difficult to find out why.

I've got the things assembled now, so it is what it is. Something else for the JMNs to go bananas about.   ;D

I may cut the rudder off and make a larger one, it looks a bit 'under ruddered' as it is.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Perfect illustration of whilst I admire the Master barrels etc I've shied away from them.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 21, 2021, 06:14:25 AM

Perfect illustration of whilst I admire the Master barrels etc I've shied away from them.

If they were all in piece they'd have been much better, both for me and for the bloke on the lathe I'd have thought.   :-\

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 21, 2021, 08:19:55 AM
both for me and for the bloke on the lathe I'd have thought.   :-\

Perhaps computer controlled ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 22, 2021, 06:54:25 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 21, 2021, 08:19:55 AM
both for me and for the bloke on the lathe I'd have thought.   :-\

Perhaps computer controlled ?

Almost certainly, the bits are SO small!

Regards
Kit