Yet another MB5/6/7 whatever......

Started by PR19_Kit, February 01, 2021, 03:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

At last the almost endless PSR sessions on the Sea Monsoon are done, and it's ready for some colour.  ;D

I scratched up a larger and taller rudder, and it looks better now to my mind, I've glued in the cannon, cut a radiator outlet duct under the belly after a suggestion from Robert Kitnut617, and I've bent up some folding wing 'hinges' from piano wire and superglued them in place, ready for the tips to be added after painting. I also glued in a prop shaft tube and replaced the plastic prop rod with a brass one, I don't trust those plastic ones one bit!

And here it is so far.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Got all the main paint colours on the Sea Monsoon now, and the extensive masking stripped off.

The rear of the canopy is meant to be painted, as it was it looked just like a Meteor NF14 canopy, now it only looks 'slightly' like an NF 14 canopy.....

Decals are printed and will be going on later tonight.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

After having drawn the artwork for the serials etc. I found that the ENORMOUS under wing serials that the FAA used in the period are too large to fit on the relatively small wings of the MB5 airframe without encroaching onto the landing gear doors.  :banghead:

So I've had to re-draw those serials while overlaying the shape of the doors so I know where to cut the decal. Not the shortest decal job I've ever done, but they're printed now, phew.

(Where's the 'mopping brow' emoticon when you need one?)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Looking neat Kit  :thumbsup:

I've seen a couple of photos somewhere off FAA aircraft where the underside of the folding wing section was painted in the top side colours (I presume as camo when parked on deck ?), my brain says it would suit this Sea Monsoon ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Hmmm, I've not seen pics like that, but I'll check the Net.

It'd look VERY odd from underneath when flying though, wouldn't it?

If I do that, and then decide that it was better with the Sky undersides, it'd take maybe TEN coats of Sky paint to cover the EDSG! 

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've looked and looked and can't find any pics showing that Chris.

If you have some links I'd be pleased to see them, but I wonder if they were in the all EDSG scheme that was about at the time, the AEW Skyraiders being the aeroplanes that stand out in that scheme. AFAIK they never did appear in the Sky/EDSG scheme.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I've been trying to put the decals on the Sea Monsoon pretty much al day. It did NOT go to plan!  :banghead:

My own printed decals, the carrier letter codes, the squadron crests and the underwing serials, took four attempts before I got a set that worked. I'm sure the new clear spray I bought is the culprit, it seemed to soften the ink so that when I pressed down with my soft cloth the ink came off! Finally I used the last dregs of my old clear spray and that worked as it always did, perfectly. I feel a rude email coming on......

Then I used the roundels, the fuselage codes and 'Royal Navy' codes from a Print Scale Supermarine Attacker sheet that I bought specially for the job, but they're rubbish. :(

I managed to get the roundels onto the model OK, but it needed LOTS of effort and very careful handling with my tweezers as the decals just did NOT want to come off the backing sheet! And when i did eventually get them to slide, they curled right over onto the back of the sheet! The other stuff just didn't work at all as they were smaller items and there was nothing to get hold of, so I printed my own versions using the old clear spray and that worked OK.

I'm afraid i won't be buying any Print Scale stuff again.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 25, 2021, 10:46:15 AM

If you have some links I'd be pleased to see them,

As long as my brain isn't playing trick on me it will be in a book. I'll have a look in the obvious places, but if their not in them, then it will be pure luck if I turn them up I'm afraid Kit  :-\

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

At last we're getting somewhere............

All the decals are on and it's gloss varnished, the main gear legs are glued in place (at the correct angle....) and all the little bits and pieces, like props and landing gear doors are being painted. Yes, that is an Australian flag under the cockpit...  ;)

I can confidently predict that the Sea Monsoon will be finished tomorrow. (Famous last words....)

Oh yes, the backstory's already written.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Martin H

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 26, 2021, 06:14:37 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 25, 2021, 10:46:15 AM

If you have some links I'd be pleased to see them,

As long as my brain isn't playing trick on me it will be in a book. I'll have a look in the obvious places, but if their not in them, then it will be pure luck if I turn them up I'm afraid Kit  :-\

I don't think it was the Royal navy.
It was I believe but one of the many schemes used by our colonial cousins on their F4U's in the Pacific.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 26, 2021, 02:14:30 PM
At last we're getting somewhere............

All the decals are on and it's gloss varnished, the main gear legs are glued in place (at the correct angle....) and all the little bits and pieces, like props and landing gear doors are being painted. Yes, that is an Australian flag under the cockpit...  ;)

I can confidently predict that the Sea Monsoon will be finished tomorrow. (Famous last words....)

Oh yes, the backstory's already written.  ;D

Is that meant to be an air ensign, Kit?  It is missing the roundel if it is.  Otherwise it is the wrong shade of blue for the Australian flag.  Of course, it could be in an alternative universe where they use a lighter shade of blue... 
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Not the 1948-1982 RAAF Ensign:

Not the 1911-1967 RAN White Ensign(some Poms may recognise it ;));

Nor the Australian National Flag:

Nor is it the Flag of the Royal Australian Marines (Australian Federation Flag, adopted by the RAM in 1902) :angel::

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est