Irish Air Corps F-86D Sabre Dog-COMPLETED

Started by AeroplaneDriver, February 02, 2021, 08:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

I've struggled with a couple of real world builds lately, and with being in training away from home M-F I have had very little bench time so this past weekend I decided I needed a Mojo-restoring build.  I went with a kit I know goes together beautifully and is a nice basis (if underrepresented) for a Whif. 

Revell/ProModeller 1/48 F-86D.  36 hours in and she is all primed up ready for first paint coat.  I'll be home on Friday night, finally for more than 48 hours at home so hope to gt this finished next week. Not sure how it will be finished yet, but the three I'm leaning towards are:

1.  RCAF, German based
2.  RAuxAf
3.  USN China Lake testbed. 

Feel free to chime in with input or other ideas! 

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Dizzyfugu

RCAF sounds interesting, maybe in NMF with red/white cheastlines? But Germany-based sounds more like camouflage, I guess? As an alternative, how about something exotic like Sri Lanka, Indonesia or Malaysia?

As inspiration, I did a, F-86K in Finnish colors some time ago:

1:72 North American (Fiat) F-86K "Sabre", 'SD-103' of the 2nd Flight/HävLLv 31 (Fighter Squadron 31/Hävittäjälentolaivue 31), Suomen Ilmavoimat (Finnish Air Force), Karelian Air Command; Kuopio-Rissala, 1968 (Whif/modified Airfix kit)
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Pellson

Repurposed RNoAF anti-shipping missile carrier?
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Old Wombat

My favourite F-86 after the CAC CA-27. :thumbsup:

Hmmm? :unsure: Cuban? :unsure: (South) Vietnamese? :unsure:

Or RAuxAF or RAAF ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

I hope they keep the tyres of your F-86N up to pressure Thomas, those Penguin's fins are VERY close to the ground!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

I'm liking all these ideas being thrown out...I may need to do some rethinking...

Dizzyfugu

Indonesian Navy anti-shipping is also an option!  ;)

scooter

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 03, 2021, 02:48:29 AM
(South) Vietnamese? :unsure:

Or a Vietnam that had had gained its independence from France with the backing of an America that didn't have Woodrow Wilson's paternalism.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

lenny100

you might consider a real world what if. the f86-d in the uk is painted up as two aircraft one side has the markings from itys time with the sabre knights display team and the other as a usaf germany aircraft
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

Mossie

Sweden, what if they alligned more with the US rather than the UK for early jets?  it also somewhat resembles the Lansen.
Brazil, a more modern upgrade to the P-80s.
Belgium.  One of the few NATO members not to operate an F-86 variant.  I think the colours would suit it too and some F-84s had colourful schemes.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Cobra

How about going Gerry Anderson and turn it into a World Air Force Interceptor? that work for You? Dan

AeroplaneDriver

The great input on this build got the gears working and I abandoned my original three ideas for Something Completely Different. 

Backstory is in the works and will be ready for the final reveal, hopefully tomorrow...if not then by the weekend. 

Paint coat on and some panel shipping done.

Decals on, and a quick wash.  Looking a bit manky before the final finishes go on. 

This Sabre Dog will be patrolling the eastern Atlantic armed with "Mighty Mouse" rockets and a pair of Sidewinder AAMs. 

Dizzyfugu

That's a nice ide, too, and looking good.  :thumbsup: