Irish Air Corps F-86D Sabre Dog-COMPLETED

Started by AeroplaneDriver, February 02, 2021, 08:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

The 1964 US Presidential election was a landslide victory for John F. Kennedy.  The outpouring of affection from the nation as he recovered from the November 1963 assassination attempt in Dallas virtually guaranteed his victory.  Though unproven, the subsequent investigation implicated the USSR in at least some way in planning the attack.  Though no suspect was ever apprehended one person of interest, Lee Harvey Oswald, was found dead in a hotel on December 3, 1963 along with evidence that the KGB had killed him. 

In the aftermath NATO-Warpac relations deteriorated even further, and even though the risk of nuclear conflict seemed to have peaked with the Cuban Missile Crisis, the chances of a conventional war in Europe seemed to be increasing as Kennedy took his second Oath of Office.  As Soviet air and naval activity in the eastern Atlantic increased Kennedy leveraged his ties to Ireland to convince the nation to shift from a neutral stance to lean towards NATO.  Though Ireland did not become a full member state until 1975 it did enter in a defence cooperation agreement with the alliance in 1965, contributing to air and sea defence off the west coast of Ireland. 

As part of this agreement the US provided military hardware and training.  The first package included 18 F-86D air defense fighters.  These F-86Ds had been retired from active USAF service, but were upgraded for the IAC with avionics and engine to match the F-86L.  The "Mighty Mouse" rocket pack was retained, but AIM-9B Sidewinders were also integrated as a longer ranged weapon. 

The Sabre Dog served with the growing Irish Air Corps until 1974 when the remaining 12 aircraft were replaced by ex-US Navy F-4J Phantoms as an interim fighter until the F-16A would be delivered starting in 1980.  Towards the end of its career the Irish Sabres were upgraded to carry the AIM-9E version of the Sidewinder missile. 

This model depicts an IAC F-86D late in its career carrying a pair of "Echo" Sidewinders on a QRA mission.  A month later it was put into storage when it was replaced by a Phantom.  It remained in storage until 1986 when it was restored for the Irish Air Corps Museum.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

PR19_Kit

I like it a LOT!  :thumbsup:

And the backstory is an absolute gem too!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Glenn Gilbertson

Rick Lowe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 15, 2021, 03:15:35 PM
I like it a LOT!  :thumbsup:

And the backstory is an absolute gem too!

Agree wholeheartedly with all that.  :thumbsup:

DogfighterZen

Excellent work, both on the model and the backstory. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Sabre Dog is my favourite Sabre.  This is exultant*.

:thumbsup:

*Auto correct.  Was supposed to be excellent but I liked it so I left it.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

The F-86K Sabre Dog is my favorite followed by the original version and Avon Sabre
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Old Wombat

Top notch build, Nick! Scheme & load-out look perfect. :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Doug K

Nick

Outstanding! Can't wait to see the F-4s and F-16s.  :thumbsup: