Saunders-Roe SR.53 in German Service

Started by Leading Observer, February 05, 2021, 07:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leading Observer

Marineflieger Saunders-Roe SR.53A
The introduction of the production version of the Saunders-Roe SR.53 into service with the German Naval Air Arm [Marineflieger] was not without controversy, as it faced serious completion from the Lockheed F-104.
However, the well publicised handling issues which plagued the F-104, together with favourable reports on the handling characteristics and performance of the SR-53 from both British and German Test Pilots, tipped the balance in favour of the British aircraft, much to the annoyance of Lockheed, who were rumoured to have been offering [and as was subsequently revealed, paid] substantial financial inducements to various Politicians to secure orders from European Air Forces.
The SR.53 gave the Bundesmarine a very capable light weight quick reaction interceptor which served them well for a number of years, until it was eventually replaced by latter variants of the F-104 which was forced on the Luftwaffe and Marineflieger against their better judgement by their Political masters.

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

sandiego89

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

Looks remarkably good in a camo scheme, and the German one works a treat.  :thumbsup:

Of course they had a cadre of personnel who were used to handling various rocket fuels already.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

That is really smart, it looks right at home in the colour scheme and markings :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Steel Penguin

I believe my rather rusty German is adequate   Ya, Ser gut  :thumbsup:
( my apologies if it is that rusty, but if you really want a laugh, remember I have a west country accent, and was taught by some one who spoke with a Berlin accent)   :lol: 
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Steel Penguin on February 06, 2021, 06:41:56 AM

.....and was taught by some one who spoke with a Berlin accent)   :lol:

Really? What a co-incidence.

My German lecturer at the Goethe Institute in Berlin when I lived there commented that my teacher at school must have come from Berlin as I already had the correct accent.

I have NO idea what differs between a Berlin accent or a normal German one though, perhaps one of our German colleagues here could explain?

The one thing I do know about it is that Berliners (if it's OK to say that...) tend to say 'ney' rather than 'nein' apparently.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

Kit I was told that the lack of any follow after `d`  in der, die or das, d tasse, d kirche, etc was the prime give away,  any further correction, that I can self analyse, ill happily take.  :thumbsup:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Rheged

Wunderbar!!     A good example of "what should have  been"
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Dizzyfugu

Nice! Even though I think the Luftwaffe would rather have used Sidewinders? But the livery works surprisingly good.  :thumbsup:

Glenn Gilbertson

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"