Re: The AW52 Arundel PR2

Started by PR19_Kit, February 05, 2021, 08:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 05, 2021, 10:33:38 AM
I was hoping that you had a nice report on it Kit, as I have the A&V Models resin kit. If anyone has seen this kit you would know it is mostly made up of three solid chunks of resin ---- outer wing, center wing/body, outer wing ---

Here's my build of the A&V kit

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=42355.0

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 06, 2021, 06:18:22 AM
I was hoping that you had a nice report on it Kit, as I have the A&V Models resin kit. If anyone has seen this kit you would know it is mostly made up of three solid chunks of resin ---- outer wing, center wing/body, outer wing ---

How did I miss that?
Very nice build Chris and seeing yours built up and painted puts the size of it in perspective, as it looks huge on all the other pictures I have seen of it. :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

That all-over creamy white rather hides its real size, doesn't it?

It looked HUGE to my 6-7 year old eyes at Farnborough but the commentary was going on about '...a future RAF bomber design....' so perhaps my brain had already 'sized' it to suit.

My build WILL be bigger anyway, as the wings will be longer of course.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 06, 2021, 06:18:22 AM

Ah Ha! yes now I remember that one ----  :thumbsup: Does it stand on it's u/c OK, or does it need something to prop it up, I can't figure out where I'd put nose weight into it as it's solid resin ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on February 06, 2021, 07:36:10 AM

Ah Ha! yes now I remember that one ----  :thumbsup: Does it stand on it's u/c OK, or does it need something to prop it up, I can't figure out where I'd put nose weight into it as it's solid resin ---

I ended up permanently mounting mine to a base as there's no way it was going to stand on its own three legs. Easiest solution, and as I just use various size coasters with some scenic scatter material on them for bases, quick, easy and cheap as well.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I imagine the Micro-Mir kit will be a tail sitter too, even more so with extended wings.

So it may get a crew access hatch and ladder near the 'tail'.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I had started my A&V kit but not too far into the build. I think I'm going to give it a good study and see where I can lighten it up, or at least make some holes to pack lead into.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

I thought I'd build the single Nene engine that it's possible to build from the kit so I cut off all the parts from the sprue. There's over THIRTY of them, for ONE engine!  :o

Having glued together the main assembly, exhaust duct, turbine housing and centre shaft housing, I started on the nine combustion chambers, using the bits from the second engine sprue as there's not enough on just one. The chambers are in two halves, left and right hand, with raised locations on one side and grooves on the other, and they're 10 mm long and 3 mm dia at the widest point. Yes, VERY small!

Because of the sprue gates the grooved side needs filing flat and the raised side has to have the gate cut off, right by the raised rib. How EVER do Micro-Mir expect you to do this? It's almost impossible to hold these tiny things, they're too small and shaped so you can't anyway. And it begs the question 'WHY?'

It would have been so much easier for the builder AND for the manufacturer to mould these chambers in one piece each. There'd be no need to make the grooved side and the raised side, just mould it in one. Total madness.   :angry:

So far I've got one chamber glued together and in position on the main engine assembly and one pair trimmed and ready to glue. Another one has already gone into orbit while trying to glue it in position.....  :banghead:

Why do I do this to myself? Why not make something nice and simple, like an Airfix Spitfire?  :banghead: :banghead:

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 08, 2021, 04:18:44 AM
Because of the sprue gates the grooved side needs filing flat and the raised side has to have the gate cut off, right by the raised rib. How EVER do Micro-Mir expect you to do this? It's almost impossible to hold these tiny things, they're too small and shaped so you can't anyway. And it begs the question 'WHY?'

It would have been so much easier for the builder AND for the manufacturer to mould these chambers in one piece each. There'd be no need to make the grooved side and the raised side, just mould it in one. Total madness.   :angry:

The "Parts-Count Monster" rears its ugly head again! :banghead:

Why do I do this to myself? Why not make something nice and simple, like an Airfix Spitfire?  :banghead: :banghead:

Because, like Mossie, you're a closet masochist! :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Old Wombat on February 08, 2021, 05:46:08 AM

Because, like Mossie, you're a closet masochist! :wacko:

I guess you're right there Wombie.  :banghead:

I keep ON saying I'm going to build something simple, and then I pick something like this! I'll be doing a Unicraft 'kit' next if I don't watch out!  :o

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

I've got one on the go at the moment to combat "etch fatigue" to some degree  ;)

chrisonord

Just to be different? I  ma most of the way through a  resin  kit which apart from the vacform canopy  has been an absolute peach to build.....so far  :-X. The other 2 builds are challenging  shall we say.  :banghead:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

I'm getting less and less enamoured with this kit the further I get into it.  :banghead:

The cockpit floor is the roof of the nosewheeel bay, and it's made from seven parts, only three of which fit according to the instruction diagram. The sides and ends should fit with tongued and grooved edges, but all the tongues are too large for the grooves........

And so it goes on.

I'm less and less confident that I'll finish this, even WITH extended wings!

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote... that moulding method which leaves the sprue gates on the edges AND the gluing surfaces of the parts ...

Moulding gate attachment on the mating face is not uncommon on some current Bandai kits,
and other newer Japanese, Korean and Chinese kits. However they are only on that face and
they don't lap up into the part proper. Personally speaking, I like them as they nip off with
small flush-cutters without damaging fine sharp leading or trailing edges, quick swipe with a
sanding stick and it's done. Of course my build method is to also cutoff of all alignment pins
and slice the sockets back at an angle before rubbing fuselage and wing haves down on 320
sand paper stuck to a thick piece of plexiglas to true all gluing surfaces to eliminate/minimize
filling as I loathe PSR, I prefer to fettle up front rather than coming back with putty etc., so
removing the face attached gates is no biggy.
;D

NARSES2

You really do wonder what some of these companies product development departments actually do when it comes to testing ?  :angry:

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on February 08, 2021, 12:26:39 PM

Moulding gate attachment on the mating face is not uncommon on some current Bandai kits,
and other newer Japanese, Korean and Chinese kits. However they are only on that face and
they don't lap up into the part proper.

I've experienced this system on a couple of recent kits, and as you say it works well.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: chrisonord on February 08, 2021, 09:04:47 AM
Just to be different? I  ma most of the way through a  resin  kit which apart from the vacform canopy  has been an absolute peach to build.....so far

Quality resin kits can be as good as the best injection moulded plastic ones. I'm currently eyeing a Planet kit in the stash which is  :wub:, but am also being strangely attracted to a Unicraft one in the stash  :banghead: