Re: The AW52 Arundel PR2

Started by PR19_Kit, February 05, 2021, 08:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 10, 2021, 06:58:20 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 09, 2021, 01:36:14 PM
I've got some De Luxe 'Liquid Gravity' on the way as I reckon this is going to need a LOT of nose weight, and I'll have to fit it into any spaces I can find.  :o

At least you should/might have some space in this kit, there was none to speak of in the resin one.

That must have been a REAL pain. :(

There's a small space just forward of the panel on the M-M kit, and some more aft of the cockpit bulkhead. If all else fails I'll move the crew entry door to the tail and glue a ladder on there.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

I was right, the Arundel DOES need some serious noseweight, especially with the longer wings that I've added to it! I bought some De Luxe Liquid Gravity as I figured I'd have to fill in some small spaces and was I ever right!  :o

I guess I could have filled the cockpit as well as there's no chance of seeing what's in there, but I wasn't 100% sure of that until after I'd got the first lot of weight in. The green bit's the Interior Green painted engine bay, which will have the painted engine installed before much longer.

Luckily the landing gear is located fairly far aft in the gear bays, and there's no firm location for the legs either, so I'll have a little flexibility when it comes to locating the legs.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 11, 2021, 03:11:55 PM
I was right, the Arundel DOES need some serious noseweight, especially with the longer wings that I've added to it! I bought some De Luxe Liquid Gravity as I figured I'd have to fill in some small spaces and was I ever right!  :o

I guess I could have filled the cockpit as well as there's no chance of seeing what's in there, but I wasn't 100% sure of that until after I'd got the first lot of weight in. The green bit's the Interior Green painted engine bay, which will have the painted engine installed before much longer.

Luckily the landing gear is located fairly far aft in the gear bays, and there's no firm location for the legs either, so I'll have a little flexibility when it comes to locating the legs.

What's the problem?  You've got oodles of room there.  On either side of the fuselage and besides the engines... 
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

But the outer wings sweep back a LONG way, and they're pretty long in themselves. That meant I had to add quite a bit more weight than if it was a conventional shape.

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 12, 2021, 05:11:23 AM
But the outer wings sweep back a LONG way, and they're pretty long in themselves. That meant I had to add quite a bit more weight than if it was a conventional shape.

As long as it is in front of the rearmost undercarriage leg, you should be right. :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Eventually you reach the point where the added weight exceeds the strength of the landing gear. :(

I built a model like that once, and it collapsed, I think it was a B-25, but I'm not sure.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The engine's all painted up now, and it doesn't look too bad. Lots of single bristle brush work there (done nine times for each combustion chamber) and it makes me glad there WEREN'T enough bits to build two engines.

And here it is nestled into place in the lower centre section. And NOW I can glue the upper half in place and start to figure out how to join the outer wings on strongly enough.

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

Kit  before you add the lid to the body, are the wings wide / deep enough to take a length of wire coat hanger ??   1 or 2 L shapes superglued to the body and then assemble the wings / extensions under / over them  :unsure:   just a idea / thought
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

There's a couple of indents on each side, and matching indents on the outer wing sections too, but no matching pegs or anything to actually USE the indents.  :banghead:

I'm planning to glue some brass tubes in the centre section indents and matching brass rod in outer sections, then hopefully they'll match up and strengthen the joint. The wing section itself is almost symmetrical and quite thick too, so there should be plenty of glue area if I can just keep the parts in place.

:-\ :o

As you can see I needed a slight amount of tape and a couple of clamps to hold the upper and lower parts together while the glue dried...........

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

NOW what?  :banghead:

The jetpipes are different lengths!

I have no idea how as they locate on bulkheads and slots in the lower wing. I can't see any way around it as I'm NOT taking the blasted wing halves apart again, it was difficult enough gluing them together the first time!

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

That is  really bad, it really is.  I hope you can  do something about it Kit.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

frank2056

Can you saw/slice a few mm off the long one? Or extend the curved part over the engine out to the trailing edge, with either styrene strips or a tube segment?

Scotaidh

It's a secret prototype steering-assist system they tried out - when banking, the outside engine moves aft just a bit and the inside one goes forward the same amount ... it's to relieve stress on the vertical stabilizers, allowing them to be smaller and thus have less drag, making the airframe lighter and cheaper.  It also provides an emergency steering system should a rudder be shot off or otherwise come adrift whilst in flight ...

No?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

rickshaw

Put a piece of pipe over the jet pipes and match the rear edges up.  She'll be right!   :thumbsup:

crudebuteffective

wait a few hours and tophe will ask whats wrong with that
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?