Re: The AW52 Arundel PR2

Started by PR19_Kit, February 05, 2021, 08:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Quote from: crudebuteffective on March 13, 2021, 02:13:08 AM
wait a few hours and tophe will ask whats wrong with that
no, I will say nothing, because I don't understand (this is above my level in English speaking, sorry) :-\ :unsure: <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Tophe on March 13, 2021, 02:48:04 AM
Quote from: crudebuteffective on March 13, 2021, 02:13:08 AM
wait a few hours and tophe will ask whats wrong with that

no, I will say nothing, because I don't understand (this is above my level in English speaking, sorry) :-\ :unsure: <_<

With the jetpipes as they are it's asymmetric, just how you like it Tophe.  ;D

Cutting the short pipe and extending it isn't easy as it's surrounded by wing and fairing, and doing similar to the long pipe has the same problems. Also both of them are nicely tapered and have quite sharp edges so any old piece of styrene tube won't work.

I do like your 'assisted steering' idea though Scotaidh.  ;D ;)

But I have a cunning plan...........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Thanks for the explanation! ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PR19_Kit

The cunning plan taking place......  ;)

It turns out that the longer jetpipe is the correct length, after perusing a number of pic and plans of the AW52. That's odd because it's the side that DOESN'T have a complete engine, so it's only located by its aft bulkhead. The starboard pipe and engine assembly have THREE location points, all of which must be wrong for the pipe to end up that far forward!

I carved out a chunk of the upper wing over the jetpipe, along panel lines of course, and then cut the aft end of the jetpipe off. The latter was not easy without cutting right through the lower wing surface, which I did in a couple of places. :( Then I glued the upper wing chunk back in place and I'll re-glue the jetpipe back correctly when the inevitable PSR has been done.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Scotaidh

See, rather than do all that I'd just have shaved off the longer one until the two matched ... :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

I couldn't get to it to do that, they're buried way down in the wing. :(

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

The rather shapely, two part 1950s style intakes, are now on, the port one fitting nicely, the starboard one needing LOTS of filing and sanding etc. :( They both need a fair amount of PSR around their joint lines as you can see, just like the rest of the airframe. (Chris, you better lay in stocks of putty and wet and dry.....)

I've done the major part of the 'S' bit of the PSR on the airframe now, and even the bit I chopped out to get to the port exhaust seems to have come up quite well. This is before the first primer coat of course, and we all know what horrors that reveals. :(

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

I have  been  stock piling it for my Kittleton build  so I will make sure I get  plenty more  for when I do the  Armstrong whitworth A.W 52 "Blood Boiler "  ;D
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

I mentioned earlier that the centre section and outer wing sections have indents moulded into them, looking as if there should be some pegs inserted to connect the three sections together. I've already sawn up some brass tube lengths for the centre section  and I intended to glue some lengths of brass rod into the indents in the outer sections, but......

Measuring their respective positions shows they have NO chance of matching as they stand, the centre section and outer sections indents are 3-4 mm away from each other.......

Why are they there then??????  :banghead:

I've almost finished the padding on the starboard wing now, and it's due for oodles of PSR like its compatriot on the port side. The PSR on the centre section is almost done, and the canopy's glued in place and I'll mask it up before the first coat of primer.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

I am sooooo glad I decided not to bother getting it. Far too pricey and that fit...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

The jetpipes are now the same length, and the rest of the centre section is masked up for the first primer coat. (I'll mask up the jetpipes before I do that of course... ;))

The port wing structural mods and PSR are now complete and it just needs MILES of panel lines re-scribing. Great fun, I don't think.....:(

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

You could just say that they filled the panel lines so as to improve its radar cross section ?  :angel: ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I could, yes, but then I'd have to fill and sand the ones that are already there, and I've had about my fill of sanding on this build. :(

Regards
Kit

JayBee

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 15, 2021, 10:31:07 AM
I am sooooo glad I decided not to bother getting it. Far too pricey and that fit...

Ditto !
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!