Re: The AW52 Arundel PR2

Started by PR19_Kit, February 05, 2021, 08:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

I tried a check fit of the outer wings with the centre section, using my intended 'peg and tube' system, but it didn't work worth a light. :(

The position of the pegs in the outer wings is crucial to success of course, and I measured the position of the tube I'd glued into the centre section very carefully, and then transferred that position to a matching place on the outer wing. Then I drilled a hole and glued the brass peg in place. It slid into the tube OK once the glue had dried, but the outer wing doesn't match the cross-section of the centre section unless you move it rearward a mm or so, and that's impossible with the pegs in place.  :banghead:

It's back to basics really, I'll just have to glue the partss together, strapping them with tape, so the leading and trailing edges match as well as they can and then PSR the hell out of the joint. I can't think of another method, and I just hope it will be strong enough. The wing thickness is quite considerable so there should be enough glue area there.

Fingers crossed.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Part of me says "give it folding wings" ?

To be honest I think the resin one I built was, at the end of the day, an easier build  :-\ I admire your perseverance Kit  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 17, 2021, 04:31:41 PM
..The wing thickness is quite considerable so there should be enough glue area there.

Maybe a rookie method, but I have had plenty of success in using epoxy glue in similar applications. Te trick is to avoid getting the glue anywhere it isn't supposed to go and then to firmly hold the joint in place until it hardens, but once that's ashore, the wing will sit as if welded on.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

loupgarou

Excuse me, but I cannot understand the logic of using superglue or epoxi  in a polystyrene model. The usual plastic cement melts the plastic together, and it's a CHEMICAL  bond. Other glues give a PHYSICAL bond, that depends from surface state and other variables.
Only reason I'd use another glue would be, as in Kit's small helicopter rotor head, to AVOID melting a very small part.
I have models I have bult more then 50 years ago, and are still intact, without deformations, separations or anything.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Pellson

No offence taken.  ;D

Have found that an uneven or imperfect melting glue joint will be less strong than a fully filling epoxy bond, in particular when the joint is rough or lack in fit. Also, if the plastic is a bit thin at the joining surfaces, sometimes it seems as the change in chemical structure weakens the styrene, also making an epoxy bond a stronger option, as the epoxy itself will be stronger than the styrene.

However, all above said, I think that I have used epoxy thrice over some forty years of modelling, so really nothing I'd like to defend in depth.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

chrisonord

I have some plastic weld made by a firm called the blog. It isn't anything like the plastic weld that uses capillary action to weld the styrene, as it is quite thick and a similar viscosity to liquid poly. Only downside with it I suppose it that you need to hold the parts together with some pressure for 5 or more minutes. I bought it specifically for the wing extensions on the Kittleton. The bottle says it will work on ABS, styrene Perspex and Acrylic. I did try in on one of my resin builds but it wasn't for having it, but it has stuck the wings ok.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

I'll be using my usual Revell Contacta plus Liquid Poly to re-energise it after assembly. Plus a few miles of tape to hold the wing halves together for a while.

The first attempt may be tomorrow, or maybe not............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: Pellson on March 18, 2021, 02:17:24 PM
No offence taken.  ;D

Have found that an uneven or imperfect melting glue joint will be less strong than a fully filling epoxy bond, in particular when the joint is rough or lack in fit. Also, if the plastic is a bit thin at the joining surfaces, sometimes it seems as the change in chemical structure weakens the styrene, also making an epoxy bond a stronger option, as the epoxy itself will be stronger than the styrene.

However, all above said, I think that I have used epoxy thrice over some forty years of modelling, so really nothing I'd like to defend in depth.

Yes, of course it's necessary a contact surface in order for the parts to melt together. I suppose that in Kit's kit the surface is more than enough.
You're right, if the parts are irregular and an adequate contact is missing, epoxi would fill and insert in cavities etc, "hooking" the parts together.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Be aware that some epoxies cure with an exothermic reaction and if applied in large volumes can generate enough heat to soften styrene.
Don't ask me how I know this.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Yes, the AW52's laminar wing has 2.5" chord and is 7/16" thick in 1/72 scale. That's a LOT of gluing area.  :o

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 05, 2021, 10:45:25 AM
And I've just figured out a way to extend the span with the bits I've actually already got.  ;D :thumbsup:

Extending the span? Unusual, are you sure you're up to it? (calls ambulance to extract tongue from cheek...)  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Rat on March 19, 2021, 10:10:27 PM

And I've just figured out a way to extend the span with the bits I've actually already got.  ;D :thumbsup:

Extending the span? Unusual, are you sure you're up to it? (calls ambulance to extract tongue from cheek...)  ;D

It's an effort, yes, but I can just about manage it.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 20, 2021, 05:18:05 AM
Quote from: The Rat on March 19, 2021, 10:10:27 PM

It's an effort, yes, but I can just about manage it.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

You have to make up for not extending the wings on your Air Ambulance as well

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

The port wing's now firmly glued in place, and seems to be very secure with all that glue area. I aligned to upper surfaces pretty well and they'll only need a skim of PSR, but there's a hefty step at the leading edge of the underside and that'll need more serious treatment.

It's going to be some size when it's done, over 20" span, which is quite pleasing.  ;D

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Nice, like perfect, as if it were easy... ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]