Re: The AW52 Arundel PR2

Started by PR19_Kit, February 05, 2021, 08:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 23, 2021, 09:28:41 AM
What does the panel think about PRU Blue on top and White underneath?

Or the other way round maybe?

I'm not keen on a camo upper surface as it's meant to be flying at 55000 ft or so.

Not sure about the blue and white scheme tbh.  If the Arundel was operated in lieu of the Canberra PR3 then there's a whole host of colour scheme (and sqn marking) options available.  including overall High Speed Silver.

if the Arundel Mk 1 was a bomber in lieu of the Canberra then - purely for security reasons and to baffle the enemy - why not have the PR.2 in the same colours as mid-50s Canberra B.2s, namely PRU Blue undersides with Medium Sea Grey and Light Slate Grey uppers?

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

PR19_Kit

Yes, that's another candidate too, but I did that on the Northampton flying wing already.  :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

Really like where you are with this.

No value I can add on the colour conundrum, they all have their merits.

TallEng

Probably too late my for 2 cents worth, :rolleyes:
but as its flying jolly high up (bit like a SR.71 but not as fast)
won't the undersides need to be a Darkish colour? say Bosun Blue? that mystical Dark blue colour applied to some PR Hurricanes.
Topsides some kind of hazy White/medium grey just in case somone was able fly higher and look down upon it. should blend in with
the hazy grey upper atmosphere.

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Quote from: kitbasher on March 24, 2021, 08:49:08 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 23, 2021, 09:28:41 AM
What does the panel think about PRU Blue on top and White underneath?

Or the other way round maybe?

I'm not keen on a camo upper surface as it's meant to be flying at 55000 ft or so.

Not sure about the blue and white scheme tbh.  If the Arundel was operated in lieu of the Canberra PR3 then there's a whole host of colour scheme (and sqn marking) options available.  including overall High Speed Silver.

if the Arundel Mk 1 was a bomber in lieu of the Canberra then - purely for security reasons and to baffle the enemy - why not have the PR.2 in the same colours as mid-50s Canberra B.2s, namely PRU Blue undersides with Medium Sea Grey and Light Slate Grey uppers?

Which is where (thanks to Kit's and Wooksta's earlier inspirations) I am going with my wartime introduced RAF B-29  ;D

https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=48995.msg917286#msg917286

It'll all tie-in in the Multiverse!  ;D

Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

OK, you lot talked me into it, so now it's white underneath AND on top, for the time being anyway.

I've found a particularly good looking dark blue for the underside, a bit like a darker PRU Blue, but not so grey-ish, that should do the job, and I'll mask it up and do that later today.

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

And now the underside's blue, too blue unfortunately, it needs toning down quite a bit, so I may overspray it with Primer Grey.

Even more unfortunately I got some over-spray on the starboard upper surface so I'll have to re-mask and re-spray that now. :(

The white leading edges will be black eventually, as they're meant to be the 1950s era de-icer boots.

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 29, 2021, 10:45:42 AM
And now the underside's blue, too blue unfortunately, it needs toning down quite a bit, so I may overspray it with Primer Grey.

Even more unfortunately I got some over-spray on the starboard upper surface so I'll have to re-mask and re-spray that now. :(

The white leading edges will be black eventually, as they're meant to be the 1950s era de-icer boots.

The blue (so blue!  ;D) and white scheme make it look a little like it might have wandered in from the 'Blue Lights GB' Was that your cunning plan all along Kit?! ;D
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

No, it's meant to be a darker shade of PRU Blue, but the colour on the can top was MILES off from what's inside the tin. :(

I might have to do some of my infamous 'mixing the colour on the model' tricks to get it to look more as I intended.

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Supposedly that's "Deep Sky"
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

PR19_Kit

Yes, but I can't find a sample colour of it anywhere, darn it. :(

Regards
Kit

Rheged

That blue is a lovely colour, and it would  probably go  well on an Airfix Triumph Herald  I have in the stash.   Unfortunately I agree with you that it's not quite right for this aircraft.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

For the record it's Vauxhall Atlantic Blue, soon to change to something more dull (I hope....)

Regards
Kit