Airspeed Hardrada - Airborne Troop Gyrocopter

Started by buzzbomb, February 05, 2021, 03:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

Looks like I forgot to post this here. The Rotodyne post reminded me. It is fully finished so a few images

I have read a bit around the Hafner Rotachute concept Linky  for delivering Airborne Troops. Nice concept.

How about if they upscaled to make it a full on Autogyro using the proven Horsa glider as the basis to deliver more troops. Still towed to the operational area, then released to Gyro down
This concept might deliver a more controlled landing maybe
Yes there a lots of reasons where this concept is impractical.

So some quick tape cobbling together with the Italeri 1/72 Horsa and a left over 1/48 rotor head as a proof of concept

Horsa kit goes together ok for its age. Add some stuff and compulsory PSR

See why the Rotodyne post reminded me  ;)

Leading Observer

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

PR19_Kit

Blooming wonderful (even if it has shorter wings than the original... ;D) and I can't see why it wouldn't have worked.  :thumbsup:

OK, so the tow speed may have had to be a bit limited, but it would have made for much higher survival rates for the troops and cargo. A great idea.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

I like that too, brilliant idea and build.  Would it cause more drag to tow than a glider  would  or do the aerodynamics  work differently.
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kitbasher

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

Very good.

But I can see Air Ministry pen pushers insisting that, despite their shortness, both wings must carry invasion stripes and roundels as per regulations.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TomZ

Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Scotaidh

That's great!  :)   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Now I'm jealous that I didn't think of it ...

but then I look at my "to build" list ...

from 2017 ...

<grumble>
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Rheged

Most impressive!   As whirlythings go, it's totally unexpected, but logical.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Doug K

NARSES2

That does look good  :thumbsup:

Quote from: zenrat on February 06, 2021, 01:07:38 AM

But I can see Air Ministry pen pushers insisting that, despite their shortness, both wings must carry invasion stripes and roundels as per regulations.

Funnily enough I had very similar thoughts  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: chrisonord on February 05, 2021, 03:53:58 PM

I like that too, brilliant idea and build.  Would it cause more drag to tow than a glider  would  or do the aerodynamics  work differently.

I imagine so, an autogyro works with the air going UPWARDS through the rotor apparently, whereas a helicopter has it going downwards.

No, I don't understand it either, but it's the way they work according to all the references I've read.

I guess you'd need a hefty tug to tow a big gyrocopter, a Halifax at least.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

That is what I was thinking, but it would have looked very impressive coming in to land somewhere on the Dutch flatlands. :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Or dropping in vertically on Pegasus Bridge?

They wouldn't have to avoid those three socking great concrete pyramid things in the fields along side this time either..............  ;)

Regards
Kit