A Finnish Lagg-5

Started by NARSES2, February 15, 2021, 06:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Paint works done and after she's had a coat of Klear it will be transfer time. Here's a view of her in the paint shop top right

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Got the transfers done and to put it mildly they didn't particularly co-operate  :-\

The national markings were a pain, mainly because of their age, and it took 9 to get 6 that wanted to play properly, or as near as properly as any were. Ended up with 3 left, so was keeping fingers crossed at one point. The serial numbers were also a problem, but that was down to me not the transfers themselves. I was using Ventura RAF 8" individual serial numbers to make up LA 023 (LA for Lagg) and to put it mildly I'm useless when it comes to making serials up from individual numbers  :banghead: So she's ended up with a serial of LA 02 and the backstory will say the Finn's only got 15 (and yes I know it should still be LA 002, but life's to short).

Still we are getting there and I'm on to matt coat and then final bits and bobs, mind you I don't think the sliding portion of the canopy is a great fit and from a couple of reviews I've read it's not down to me. We shall see.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

chrisonord

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Old Wombat

Odd looking scheme on the LaGG but a nice looking aircraft! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 23, 2021, 07:20:39 PM
Odd looking scheme on the LaGG but a nice looking aircraft! :thumbsup:

It's actually the official Soviet AF 1942 scheme and colours (Colourcoat paints) apart from the blue flashes, so that parts genuine  ;D Fits in some what with Finnish WWII and post war schemes so I kept it  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Lagg needs its matt coat now and then fitting the open canopy, which could get interesting.

NARSES2

Matt coat done so dependent on the canopy I should finish her this week.

NARSES2

Well they say you learn from your mistakes ? Well I've learnt that Johnson's Klear doesn't like being dunked in warm/hot water  :-\

I've mentioned above that the open part of the canopy is not the best of fits and this time it may not be me either as it's been mentioned in a couple of magazine builds. Well I thought I'd immerse it in warm/hot water for a couple of minutes and when the thing had expanded a tad slip it on and let the subsequent contraction hold it in place. Well that part worked perfectly, only problem was that as it cooled the Klear coat on the canopy turned a milky white  :-\

Anyway I waited a while to see if it showed any sign of clearing, but it just got worse. So I removed the canopy and attacked the milky coating with a toothpick and it started to come off. Going to be a bit of a job, but I think I can get it cleaned up ok, or at least ok enough to pose open over the spine of the aircraft.

Been a bit of a pain this build, mainly down to me, but I'm determined to finish it (no play on words intended). Odd really but most of the problems in the build have been caused by just how good the level of tooling is. There's no margin for error at all and unfortunately my hand/eye problems have an inbuilt one  :rolleyes:

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Thankyou Tophe  :thumbsup:

Anyway I attacked the canopy with a toothpick and then good old toothpaste using an old toothbrush and after 30 minutes or so I think I've got it as good as I'm going to and it will be presentable once fitted in the open position.

Currently the coating of Klear is drying and I'll try to fit it tomorrow. After that we have the traditional ceremony of "mounting the propeller" and it will be finished and ready for photographs.

NARSES2

Lagg is now finished. Hopefully photos over the weekend

NARSES2

In 1947 the main component of the Finnish Air Force's fighter force consisted of late model Me 109's, mainly G6 and G10 models, now these were becoming increasingly difficult to maintain and the air force was having to increasingly rely on cannibalisation in order to maintain an effective force. Thus, the decision was taken to source a couple of squadrons worth of newer aircraft before a decision could be taken as to which direction of travel the Finns were to take when it came to the acquisition of the new jet powered technology.

Whilst the procurement arm looked at the possibility of obtaining late mark Spitfires or possibly Hawker Typhoon II's it was decided for political reasons to approach the Soviets, who were happy to oblige and offered some refurbished Lagg 5's. Whilst not being exactly what they had hoped for the Finnish government nevertheless decided to proceed and in April 1948 the first aircraft were delivered.

Upon arrival the Finn's quickly realised they had be conned for whilst the offer had stated the aircraft would be refurbished, it hadn't been stated that they would need it. For they were early model La-5's which had almost certainly originally seen action in late 1942. The "refurbishment" apparently consisted of an oil change and a quick repaint, and even here the Soviets had taken the opportunity to use up the last of their old AII series of paints rather than the newer AMT shades. However where was absolutely nothing they could do about and they simply had to smile sweetly, say thankyou and get on with it, whilst swearing not to do business with Soviets again unless they really had to. Nevertheless the Finn's experience of having to maintain such a vast number of different and aging types during WWII served them well and once they got down to it a series of modifications saw the Lagg's give good service until they were eventually replaced by DH Vampires in 1951.

This is the Clear Prop kit and is exceptional when it comes to level of detail and fit. However, it could almost be said to be "to good" as the tolerances are so tight that if you even slightly misalign a part it will have knock on effects all the way through the rest of the build. As such I didn't enjoy this kit as much as perhaps I should have. It should also be said that the opening section of the canopy isn't the best of fits, and this time it wasn't me.

Paints are White Ensign Collourcoats AII Green, AII Black and AII Blue for the main camouflage scheme with my usual mix of brands for the rest. Markings are all sourced from the spares box.

So there we have it and I must admit I'm now tempted by a Finnish AF Tempest II.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

stevehed

zenrat

Good job Chris.
:thumbsup:

FWIW Klear (assuming is is the same formula as Future) can easilly be removed with windex as it is ammonia based.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..