Old Wombat's Crab - FINISHED - Pic's pg.7

Started by Old Wombat, February 16, 2021, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

The really fun part is that the instructions have you build sections of BLOODY LINK & LENGTH TRACK!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

There is NO zen in individual track links. :angry:

In fact, I'm pretty sure I read a verse of Dante's Inferno (& isn't there a section in one of Hieronymus Bosch's depictions of Hell?) where some poor sod was spending eternity cutting off, cleaning up & connecting indy link track! :unsure: :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rick Lowe

Is it worth considering getting some rubber band tracks from somewhere and using them?
Even if they're not the correct type, surely it's easier than all that work - and you could call them a different (local) version?

Maybe someone in a club that actually likes indys and will swap with you?

Old Wombat

I'm 3/4 done, so no point, now.

Indy link tracks are tedious but not really difficult & are the manufacturers' response to what has been requested of them by (some) modellers over the years.

My preference is link-&-length, as it gives a much greater accuracy than rubber-band tracks without the tedium of cutting out & gluing together hundreds of indy links. However, even link-&-length can have issues, especially if the manufacturer doesn't check that the fit is good. They're sometimes slightly too short or too long &, more often, the upper track doesn't hang correctly, so the high points don't sit on the return rollers. Issues that are much more easily fixed with indy links, by adding a spare link or removing an excess link, or letting the return length dry on the return rollers before removing them for painting.

I don't like putting them together but I understand why manufacturers are supplying them, & I much prefer them to rubber band tracks. I just like to vent my frustration during the boring "putting them together" bit. ;D

frank2056

Guy, just between you and me - you can probably skip many of the links on the upper middle tracks. So instead of bashing your head against the wall 200-300 times, you only do it 150 times or so.  Just don't tell anyone and no one will be any smarter.

zenrat

When I built the Meng D9 armoured Dozer (individual links) I had to modify the suspension to "pump it up" to get correct track tension as if built straight out of the box the tracks were either too tight or too loose.
Having worked with Cat dozers I knew which parts moved IRL and therefore how to do this, but someone not familiar with them might not have this knowledge.  And they shouldn't have to do it anyway.

I have found that I always seem to have to adjust things to get link and length tracks to fit.  The Tamiya 1/48 SU122 has adjustable parts designed into it to allow this.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: frank2056 on March 18, 2021, 08:29:45 PM
Guy, just between you and me - you can probably skip many of the links on the upper middle tracks. So instead of bashing your head against the wall 200-300 times, you only do it 150 times or so.  Just don't tell anyone and no one will be any smarter.

Not something I can do, I'm afraid, Frank. :-\

Rheged

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 18, 2021, 06:27:38 AM

In fact, I'm pretty sure I read a verse of Dante's Inferno (& isn't there a section in one of Hieronymus Bosch's depictions of Hell?) where some poor sod was spending eternity cutting off, cleaning up & connecting indy link track! :unsure: :o

You are correct. The indy link track verses in Dante are next to the section about being compelled for all eternity to listen to a class of junior school pupils playing slightly out of tune descant recorders.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Old Wombat

Quote from: Rheged on March 19, 2021, 01:03:12 PM
Quote from: Old Wombat on March 18, 2021, 06:27:38 AM

You are correct. The indy link track verses in Dante are next to the section about being compelled for all eternity to listen to a class of junior school pupils playing slightly out of tune descant recorders.

Ah! Yes! That's right! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nighthunter

Bartock: "I'm sorry sir, but this can only end in tears."
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 18, 2021, 04:34:26 PM
I'm 3/4 done, so no point, now.

Indy link tracks are tedious but not really difficult & are the manufacturers' response to what has been requested of them by (some) modellers over the years.

I don't like putting them together but I understand why manufacturers are supplying them, & I much prefer them to rubber band tracks. I just like to vent my frustration during the boring "putting them together" bit. ;D

Fair enough.  :thumbsup:

Yeah, the old adage of 'be careful what you wish/ask for' is most apt for individual links...

I understand the need to vent... ;D

Old Wombat

The tracks are finished up to the painting stage but I won't be doing that until I've got the hull ready (& that's coming along quite well, at the moment ... Touch wood!).

Old Wombat

Having gotten carried away in the moment, I forgot to take photo's of the driver's hole before I fitted it into the hull. :banghead: :banghead:

The following images are the best that I could achieve with my minimal photographic skills in situ;

Lots of other stuff has been primed but I'll wait until the hull is complete before the next photo session.

That may be a little while off, as I'm back at work for a few days (training), then I've got a skip coming to be filled with crap from the garage & shed that I've been trying to get rid of (in some cases for years).

Cheers! :cheers:

Guy

Dizzyfugu

That's already looking impressive!  :thumbsup:

kerick

Hey, clear out some more space to store more kits!
I'm looking forward to seeing more of this build.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.