DONE@p.5 +++ LAPD 'Flying Eye', a Spectrum SA-550 (Cessna 337)

Started by Dizzyfugu, February 17, 2021, 04:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 04, 2021, 01:03:11 AM
For a less-than-co-operative kit, the build's coming along well, Dizzy! :thumbsup:

Just do NOT take a closer look! BTW, here's a look at the eventual winglet configuration. Some PSR still to do, but I think it adds a nice twist beyond the ordinary?

1:72 Spectrum SA-550 (modified Cessna 337) "Pelican"; aircraft "N669PD" of the Los Angeles Police Department Air Support Division, Special Flight Section (SFS); California (USA), 2001 (What-if/modified Arii kit) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Dizzyfugu

Here's a look at the dreaded windscreen, dry-fitted into place. Pls. note that I already tried to polish it, the gaps to the fuselage and the poorly molded hole at the side. BTW., did I mention that the kit's fit is poor...?

1:72 Spectrum SA-550 (modified Cessna 337) "Pelican"; aircraft "N669PD" of the Los Angeles Police Department Air Support Division, Special Flight Section (SFS); California (USA), 2001 (What-if/modified Arii kit) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

I'll try to mend the worst gaps with white glue, and then painting might start soon.

Scotaidh

Dizzy, watch-repair folks have a clear cement - might that not work for you?  I have no idea where to get any, sorry, but knowing it's out there is, I hope, helpful?
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Dizzyfugu

Thanks for the tip - the white glue and some paint to cover the worst things will do. And with a special clear glue, these repairs woudl certainly stand out on the blurry surroundings...  ;)

PR19_Kit

I DO like the look of that Thomas.  :thumbsup:

I've always liked the 336/337 line anyway, but your version looks REALLY good, specially the MD-11 style winglets.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Agree it's looking good.  :thumbsup:

That canopy fit is terrible! Would you be better to try to find another part from Spares?
Might be easier than fiddling and fettling and filling to get that one to fit.

Dizzyfugu

Well, this kind of clear parts is not in great supply, and I stuck with it. However, day #4 eventually brought the lethal mess that I had been waiting for: paint(ing) horrors. The aircraft receives a black/white livery, inspired by the LAPD's RW heli schemes, and I started with the white yesterday - using a fresh tin with Humbrol 22, because I wanted to put as little paint onto the small model as possible. But then...

The horror with contemporary Humbrol enamel paints...
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

The brand new 22 that cured into a horrible ivory - even though the paint and its pigments were/are white inside of the tin, everything looked fine on the brush and when freshly applied! But the more the stuff dried, the more yellow it turned, to a point that you cannot talk about white anymore. Must IMHO be the solvent that causes this mess - in the picture above a Humbrol 34 (Matt White) and to the left a Revell 301 (Semi-matt White) as reference. While the 34 is already a tad yellow-ish, the Revell tone is a rather pure (and stable!) white. Sh!t... :-/
I tried to overpaint the mess, but this caused reactions and cracks, so that I had to partly wipe off (or try to do that) the enamel from the model. I do not have to emphasize that this left a horrible surface finish on the already uneven model. Big sh!t. So I tried to prepare the undergorund as good as possible and now added a coat with Revell 301, even though it's a gooey stuff that either leaves streaks or does not cover well. It's run running well at the moment.  :angry:

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

A look at the aftermath - I try to ignore the damage and paint flaws and just stumble on, with black decal stripes (instead of masking tape with the risk of even more messy paint accidents...  :rolleyes:) to mark the upcoming black contrast areas:

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 05, 2021, 01:09:52 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on March 05, 2021, 12:12:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcPDHkX1qWA

This one was followed by this one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ_fXybPq1Q

Which I think may be equally apt (including Stephen Fry's snickering). ;)

Indeed! I was snickering my ownself! ;D

Dizzy, I hope you can salvage things without stripping it back.

Dizzyfugu