DONE@p.5 +++ LAPD 'Flying Eye', a Spectrum SA-550 (Cessna 337)

Started by Dizzyfugu, February 17, 2021, 04:49:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

No, not a Blue Thunder revival, rather an aircraft in the service of the Los Angeles Police Department.  :police:

Rick Lowe

Hmm, intriguing... look forward to seeing this gem.

frank2056

I live in Los Angeles and recently realized that we probably have more helicopters in the air at any one time than most cities. There's usually 1 or 2 News choppers keeping them company.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: frank2056 on February 17, 2021, 07:56:07 PM
I live in Los Angeles and recently realized that we probably have more helicopters in the air at any one time than most cities. There's usually 1 or 2 News choppers keeping them company.

Naturally, they want to be on top of things if a Story kicks off.

So... no sign of a Blue Thunder anywhere around? Although she's pretty old hat by now, the modern iteration probably has everything hidden behind various panels for a semblance of stealth and plausible deniability...

Dizzyfugu

That's no wonder, the LAPD has probably the biggest "air fleet" of any police institution, and they have a separate "airport" for their fleet, too, the Hooper Heliport, located on the roof of the C. Erwin Piper Technical Center. BTW, it's the world's largest rooftop airport, and it starred in Blue Thunder - eben though it was still under construction at the time the film was made. And the LAPD also operates fixed-wing aircraft - even though the choice of the LAPD as an operator for my first entry is rather incidentially based upon a decal sheet from an Italeri Jet Ranger that a friend gave me some time ago. Now the markings will find a good use.  :lol:

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 17, 2021, 11:33:09 PM

That's no wonder, the LAPD has probably the biggest "air fleet" of any police institution, and they have a separate "airport" for their fleet, too, the Hooper Heliport, located on the roof of the C. Erwin Piper Technical Center. BTW, it's the world's largest rooftop airport, and it starred in Blue Thunder - eben though it was still under construction at the time the film was made. And the LAPD also operates fixed-wing aircraft - even though the choice of the LAPD as an operator for my first entry is rather incidentially based upon a decal sheet from an Italeri Jet Ranger that a friend gave me some time ago. Now the markings will find a good use.  :lol:

I hadn't known that about the LAPD, though it makes sense in terms of the massive area they have to cover...

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Dizzyfugu

Well, there have been hints in another thread...  ;)

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Rheged on February 18, 2021, 02:41:12 AM
An Edgeley Optica, perhaps? 

That was my thought. Or something along those lines.

Dizzyfugu

More conservative, yet suitable and with a twist (rooted in the real world, though!)  ;)

Flyer

From what I can gather from another thread it's a Cessna 336 :thumbsup:

Here in Australia the Victoria police air wing used to use a 337 for highway patrol work, don't know if they still do.
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Dizzyfugu

Keen eye. ;D And now I just add "Pelican"...

Dizzyfugu

Nothing happened here yet (just finishing pictures from my latest build, non-GB), but I remembered that I had an aftermarket Shorts Tucano resin prop stashed away... a useful donor part for what I have in mind!  :lol:

Work about to start soon.  :mellow:

MiB

I've crate some images for FSX of Kiowa, Sea Stallion and Grumman Mohawk of LAPD, for example

thumbnail by ilmib, su Flickr

Do u even thinking about...Edgley Optica o Rockwell Bronco?
My virtual repaint site: http://hangarofmib.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------
-"Unlimited technology from the whole universe, and we cruise around in a Ford POS?"

-"Nothing is as it seems, guy!"