RAF Boeing B-29 1944 /1945

Started by Knightflyer, February 20, 2021, 03:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightflyer

So I have purchased an Academy Minicraft 1/144 scale Boeing B-29A .... as you do ;D

Random thoughts at the moment are an extended World War II, D-Day probably failed, the USSR may or may not be out of the war. The Pacific war may have gained a greater priority.

A new generation of V-weapons and fighters have made bombing from English bases less viable, so both the USAAF and RAF are beginning to use longer ranged and higher flying B-29s against Germany from bases further away (Scotland, Northern Ireland etc)

I do realize that it's a Swiss Cheese scenario (full of holes!  ;D) but there you go!

Question is, what camouflage might I use in this scenario, the only definite thing is the model WON'T be silver / natural metal.

Thoughts are :-

1) RAF 'night' bomber scheme, unnecessary but definitely different from silver!
2) RAF 'day' bomber scheme, (if that's what it's called) as worn by the 617 squadron Lancasters somewhere around the war's end
3) RAF PRU Blue / grey scheme or variation of, as the B-29s are higher flying that the Lancasters etc

Thoughts and comments please?
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

NARSES2

Quote from: Knightflyer on February 20, 2021, 03:22:31 AM

3) RAF PRU Blue / grey scheme or variation of, as the B-29s are higher flying that the Lancasters etc

That's the one I'd go for  :thumbsup: Ocean grey uppers and PRU Blue undersides.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Well the real Washington B.1's were NMF uppers with satin black (maybe gloss) undersides. If you don't want NMF I's go with the MSG instead.  Or, late war Lancasters in the FE were white uppers over black undersides.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Knightflyer

A quick first draft ....excuse the basic skills!  ;D

PR19_Kit

I like the RAF day bomber scheme, with the Light Slate Grey and Sea Grey Medium uppers, as depicted with my Northrop Northampton.

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 20, 2021, 07:24:57 AM
I like the RAF day bomber scheme, with the Light Slate Grey and Sea Grey Medium uppers, as depicted with my Northrop Northampton.

I knew there was one of your flying wings that was sitting in the back of my mind as a scheme I wanted to possibly 'borrow'.   I presume it's Light Slate Grey underneath as well?

Did some-one do a PR Flying Wing on here?

PR19_Kit

Actually it's natural metal, Northrop didn't have the correct colours and RAF didn't have enough paint to do that VAST wing area.  ;D

But I think that Light Slate Grey would have been the correct colour of the period.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: Knightflyer on February 20, 2021, 07:20:47 AM
A quick first draft ....excuse the basic skills!  ;D

I would have the colours the other way around

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Wooksta!

Day bombers would have been PRU Blue a la Cranberry.

As for the B-29, Med Sea Grey over Night with Type C markings would be most likely.  Or just leave them NMF with Type C markings.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

JayBee

As in my New York B1, known to all and sundry as the BABY (Big Apple B1).

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Knightflyer

Quote from: The Wooksta! on February 20, 2021, 09:11:17 AM
Day bombers would have been PRU Blue a la Cranberry.

As for the B-29, Med Sea Grey over Night with Type C markings would be most likely.  Or just leave them NMF with Type C markings.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I suppose the start of this idea  was looking for something 'definitely' different from the NMF which the Washington's did get.

And yes, it should be Med Sea Grey over PRU Blue, I couldn't see what wasn't right with my profile even when I was looking straight at it! :banghead:

I'd forgotten the Cranberry scheme, that might just be the one I'm looking for ;D

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: NARSES2 on February 20, 2021, 05:36:18 AM
Quote from: Knightflyer on February 20, 2021, 03:22:31 AM

That's the one I'd go for  :thumbsup: Ocean grey uppers and PRU Blue undersides.

Agree with Chris. This would look great.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

chrisonord

I shall be watching this with interest  as I am  still deciding on a  colour scheme for my  Avro Kittleton.  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Pellson

Just letting my mind drift a bit on this:

1: Considering that the RAF stayed on night bombing, and afaik at least, never planned on changing that tactic, wouldn't you like to have some radar like the H2S onboard, also on a Washington?

2: Night operations tended to mean use of black bellies, at least up to and including the Canberra B(I).8 well in to the 1960:s. While the grey/PRU blue scheme is sexy, it seems to me to be very much a daylight scheme.

3: As previously mentioned, the later Far East Air Force Lancasters and also Lincolns were white or grey over black. However, Canberra's were dark grey/green over black, and night fighter Mosquitoes light grey/green over black, so in my, admittedly somewhat JMN take on this, one of these schemes would probably be more accurate.

But - it's whif-world. For all I know, they could be pink and bright orange to blend in with the sunset..  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

The Wooksta!

RAF bombers (large) were to go to Med Sea Grey over Night, apart from Tiger Force Lancasters, which were to be white over Night.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic