1/72 Vickers VC10 C.1(K)

Started by Pellson, February 21, 2021, 02:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

In an unusual daring moment, I decided to give this one a try.

First impressions:
It is a big aircraft and a huge model in this scale. I have built two of the V-bombers, but they feel about half as big as the VC10. And they already claim too much shelf space..  :rolleyes:

It is an absolute dog of a kit, Mach2 style, with very coarse "detail" and inexact casting. I haven't started even test fitting anything yet, but somehow, I'm not really worried. It might be nigh on impossible to build a perfect replica of the actual plane from this kit, but being the hamfisted cobbler I am, it's actually providing me with the perfect excuse not to deliver something top notch but rather fiddle along, having a good time. And that's a rather nice feeling, actually.

So I'm looking forward to getting on with it, but first some rudimentary interior painting. Not much will be seen through the thick and uneven transparencies, but whatever may be hinted should at least look reasonable.

I will most certainly not bother to attempt any major corrections to the kit, neither to the nose profile nor to anything else. It will most certainly bear enough resemblance to a VC10 to make me tick anyway. And - from reviews, it seems as if the wing layout doesn't match neither the window arrangement nor the fuselage length for any real RAF bird, so I might have to write a backstory after all, actually making a whif out of an OOB build. Intriguing. I will have to read up better on the matter.

I suspect this'll be another multi year project, and I've never been much for deadlines anyway (hence my absence from GB:s) but let's see how things turn out. I think I'm about to have a good time!
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Old Wombat

Looks like they've taken to it with a Ditch Witch! :o

But "Which Witch?" is the question!

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

A Matchbox Hawk 200 should look pretty authentic next to this VC.10 model.  ;)

Pellson

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on February 21, 2021, 11:20:42 PM
A Matchbox Hawk 200 should look pretty authentic next to this VC.10 model.  ;)

It's a good thing I have the Hawk mentioned to go with the VC10, then..  ;D

McColm

Found that I had problems with the engines and T-tail,  that's why I kitbashed parts with the Heller Boeing E-3A/C.

Pellson

Quote from: McColm on February 22, 2021, 01:43:05 AM
Found that I had problems with the engines and T-tail,  that's why I kitbashed parts with the Heller Boeing E-3A/C.

Interesting! I have to admit I have missed your effort. Do you have a project thread I can look into?

PR19_Kit

The RAF VC10s come in all possible variations though. Even the 'standard' ones had Super wings, fins and engines.

And then they bought up batches of ex-BA and Gulf Air Tens, that were in themselves 'different', so Mach2 may have made a mistake and moulded something authentic.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Well it sure looks like the Matchbox ditch digger did a little side hustle over at Mach 2!!
Good luck with this one. As you say, do it just for fun!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

ericr

Quote from: Pellson on February 21, 2021, 02:28:19 PM
[...] , but somehow, I'm not really worried. It might be nigh on impossible to build a perfect replica of the actual plane from this kit, but being the hamfisted cobbler I am, it's actually providing me with the perfect excuse not to deliver something top notch but rather fiddle along, having a good time. And that's a rather nice feeling, actually.

;D that is very close to how I fell about Mach2 kits, and therefore jump on them when I find them (in cheap 2nd hand  ;) )

NARSES2

Your a braver man than me Gunga Din  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Pellson on February 21, 2021, 02:28:19 PM

It is an absolute dog of a kit, Mach2 style,

I've never really understood that simile (apologies to Mr Royal if it isn't one) even though I know what you mean, after all dogs are man's best friend  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

Quote from: Pellson on February 22, 2021, 02:08:43 AM
Quote from: McColm on February 22, 2021, 01:43:05 AM

Interesting! I have to admit I have missed your effort. Do you have a project thread I can look into?
I don't think I have any photos of that build but there's photos on my Facebook page just search under Steven James McColm  albums/upload photos,  yes that's me in the Royal Auxiliary Air Force uniform and on my blog page under McColm.
I just found out that I have a Flickr account in the name of: sjmccolm681
There's loads of photos of started builds and I will transfer some on the Public album as well.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Pellson

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 22, 2021, 04:26:19 AM
The RAF VC10s come in all possible variations though. Even the 'standard' ones had Super wings, fins and engines.

And then they bought up batches of ex-BA and Gulf Air Tens, that were in themselves 'different', so Mach2 may have made a mistake and moulded something authentic.  ;D

Reading up on the matter, it seems that principally, Mach2 has molded a C.1(K) but labelled it K.2. The only thing in the kit being K.2 is the fuselage HDU port which in the kit is an externally placed fairing, being easily omittable.
Then there's the issue of whether the fuselage cabin windows number and grouping is correct - but I think I can live with it either way. As I will live with the dodgy nose profile.  ;)

Gondor

You can always fill in the fuselage windows and use decals instead which gives you plenty of time to worry about them later but a lot of time doing PSR to start with.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Pellson

Having scrutinised some photography, it's pretty clear that the kit is a C.1(K) but with two added windows to the port. Also, the RAF serial decal (XV107) is a C.1(K), so the main question is - why did MACH 2 ever label it a K.2?
Sod it, it's now going to be build OOB, just closing the aforementioned windows. Easy peasy. Or something.  ;)