1/72 Vickers VC10 C.1(K)

Started by Pellson, February 21, 2021, 02:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Are you going to leave the flash on or clean it up?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Pellson on March 02, 2021, 04:11:34 AM

so the main question is - why did MACH 2 ever label it a K.2?

Because they ARE Mach 2..........simples.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pellson

Quote from: McColm on March 02, 2021, 04:14:47 AM
Are you going to leave the flash on or clean it up?

Depends. Some flash look more intentional than other, so it will be a matter of judgement..  ;D
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Leading Observer

This months Aeroplane magazine has an article on Blue Steel and Skybolt and includes a reproduction of a Vickers artwork showing a VC10 "poffler" armed with what appears to be 6 Skybolts - plans were for them to be armed with up to 8!. Evidently the magazine are planning an indepth article on the proposed "pofflers" in the near future.
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

Pellson

Quote from: Leading Observer on March 09, 2021, 03:23:53 AM
This months Aeroplane magazine has an article on Blue Steel and Skybolt and includes a reproduction of a Vickers artwork showing a VC10 "poffler" armed with what appears to be 6 Skybolts - plans were for them to be armed with up to 8!. Evidently the magazine are planning an indepth article on the proposed "pofflers" in the near future.

Many thanks for the tip-off.  :thumbsup:

kitnut617

Vulcan's Hammer by Chris Gibson is another book for VC10 pofflers ---  The Air Staff and the AEW also by Chris is good for AEW VC10's.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Leading Observer on March 09, 2021, 03:23:53 AM

Somewhere I have an old Air Pictorial issue with an article on multirole VC10s. Also had a photo of Mosquito DD743, one of the two that were converted to PR.IIs for 60 Sqn SAAF.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Where does the name 'Poffler' come from?
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Pellson

Quote from: kitnut617 on March 09, 2021, 08:55:03 AM
Vulcan's Hammer by Chris Gibson is another book for VC10 pofflers ---  The Air Staff and the AEW also by Chris is good for AEW VC10's.
I have both of them, as I have most of Mr Gibsons other works. Great stuff!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on March 09, 2021, 09:39:26 AM

Good question.  :thumbsup:

It occurs quite frequently whenever the subject of ALBM armed airliners comes up. It seems to have started with the VC10s, but now seems to be generic, even though no-one's actually built one yet.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 22, 2021, 04:26:19 AM
The RAF VC10s come in all possible variations though.
Uh? I fear the RAF refused the asymmetric VC10s alas... ;)

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/vc-10_asym.jpg
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 09, 2021, 09:51:22 AM

It occurs quite frequently whenever the subject of ALBM armed airliners comes up. It seems to have started with the VC10s, but now seems to be generic, even though no-one's actually built one yet.  :o

A poffler is , I believe, an early medieval farmer .  One up from a serf but not a yeoman.   As a code-word, it fulfils the R V Jones parameters of having nothing whatever to do with the project it refers to.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

JayBee

Quote from: Rheged on March 09, 2021, 10:32:14 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 09, 2021, 09:51:22 AM

A poffler is , I believe, an early medieval farmer .  One up from a serf but not a yeoman.   As a code-word, it fulfils the R V Jones parameters of having nothing whatever to do with the project it refers to.

Indeed, it is from Medieval English and comes from the term a "poffle" which was a small individual farm, but higher than a serf.
From that a "Poffler" would be someone operating independantly of a higher authority.

As in a nuclear armed VC-10.

All the answers can be foumd in the Chris Bigson title " Vickers VC-10 - AEW, Pofflers and other Unbuilt Variants".

An excellent read and one that will give you lots and lots of ideas that are not good for the "normal" modeller.

Jim
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on March 09, 2021, 11:09:47 AM

All the answers can be foumd in the Chris Bigson title " Vickers VC-10 - AEW, Pofflers and other Unbuilt Variants".

An excellent read and one that will give you lots and lots of ideas that are not good for the "normal" modeller.

I have that book, and very good it is too, but it's at home and I'm not. :(

I must have read that bit and forgotten it, sorry.

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Tophe on March 09, 2021, 10:26:58 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on February 22, 2021, 04:26:19 AM
The RAF VC10s come in all possible variations though.

Uh? I fear the RAF refused the asymmetric VC10s alas... ;)

= link http://www.kristofmeunier.fr/vc-10_asym.jpg

Actually they did for real too.  ;D

When XR809 was converted to test the Rolls Royce RB211, it had one of the big engines on one side and two Conways on the other, and was registered as a civilian aircraft (G-AXLR) during the tests.

When the tests were finished the RAF were going to have it back, and intended to put the other two Conways back where they came from, but it turned out that the extra thrust of the monster RB211 had BENT the fuselage, so they refused to take it.  :o

Our good friend Hobbes on here has built a really good model of G-AXLR that's appeared on the 'Project Cancelled' stand at Telford a couple of times.

I've been building one for umpteen years too, but goodness knows where it's got to now.....:(

Regards
Kit